The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Non Varsity coach bench position

Just wondering about a non varsity coach who moves from one end of bench to the other. Stated they had contact at all times. Would you allow this? I had a problem when she moved and made a comment to me about a call. Hopefully you can visualize this movement dictated by ofense and defense. Let me know your thoughts.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

If it's just once...no problem. If it's everytime down the floor - notify the head coach that she is going to cost the coach the ability to stand up.

If she's up and complains - whack. Bench T, everyone sits.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Just wondering about a non varsity coach who moves from one end of bench to the other. Stated they had contact at all times. Would you allow this? I had a problem when she moved and made a comment to me about a call. Hopefully you can visualize this movement dictated by ofense and defense. Let me know your thoughts.
As long as they maintain contact - fine - no real penalty for this. Let them slide on the bench and get a few slivers. Then they'll know what it feels like when they speak to us. ( a real PIA)
If they are addressing you or saying something inappropriate - penalize that according to the rules. But I have not seen anything that says they can't move while maintaining contact with the bench.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The head coach of a non-varsity team? Then she's allowed the same rights as any head coach. By rule, though, if she moves out of the box, she's not allowed to stand once she moves back into the box.

Or, do you mean the assistant coach of the varsity (or any) team? She's under the same restrictions and any assistant coach.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The head coach of a non-varsity team? Then she's allowed the same rights as any head coach. By rule, though, if she moves out of the box, she's not allowed to stand once she moves back into the box.
Not in our state. Coaching box is only for head coach at varsity level. All other levels must remain in contact with bench in WI
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

If the Coach at a non-varsity level stands, stays in front of thier seat and is actually coaching the players I really do not have a problem with that, if they are standing to complain, warning then WHACK!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:57pm
Back from the DL

If I have an issue with an assistant coach, I'll talk about it with the head coach. I had one A.C. last year that was standing to coach a couple of times, but a visit with the head coach ("control your bench") took care of that.

I also had one a few weeks ago, a middle school game where the coaches didn't know that rule. No biggie. Still, there was a spectator I knew who had officiated that tried to tell me and my partner after the game that the A.C. couldn't be at the opposite end of the bench as the H.C., as it creates "an unfair advantage." No such NFHS rule exists. Anyone ever hear of this?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
If the Coach at a non-varsity level stands, stays in front of thier seat and is actually coaching the players I really do not have a problem with that, if they are standing to complain, warning then WHACK!
Sounds like half the JV games I see. The coaching box is a privilege for VARSITY head coaches only in Wisconsin. If I was working the game (and I probably wouldn't be), I'd give a friendly reminder early on and the coach would sit. What's so hard about that?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Still, there was a spectator I knew who had officiated that tried to tell me and my partner after the game that the A.C. couldn't be at the opposite end of the bench as the H.C., as it creates "an unfair advantage." No such NFHS rule exists. Anyone ever hear of this?
Yes, but not from an "ex-official" those comments generally come from the BCF!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sounds like half the JV games I see. The coaching box is a privilege for VARSITY head coaches only in Wisconsin. If I was working the game (and I probably wouldn't be), I'd give a friendly reminder early on and the coach would sit. What's so hard about that?
I am not allowing him a coaching box I am allowing him to stand in front of his seat and Coach, not roam the sideline.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:40pm
This IS My Social Life

Organ Grinder?

Who on this board was it who said he'd say, "Coach, I'll listen to the organ grinder, but not the monkey."
Always wanted to use that line to the head coach when the assistant is getting out of order, but have refrained for reasons of possible offense.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Never worry about head coaches moving around in their coaching box while coaching. Never worry about what any assistant coach does either if they basically stay on the bench and coach.

Deal with any unsporting comments from the bench according to your own personal tolerance level whether they're from a head coach or any other bench personnel.

The comments are your problem, not the movement.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 02:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I am not allowing him a coaching box I am allowing him to stand in front of his seat and Coach, not roam the sideline.
If you're allowing him to stand, you're giving him a box. I, personally, don't care as I only work games with coaching boxes. But that's what the state (for whatever reason) decided.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 03:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Never worry about head coaches moving around in their coaching box while coaching. Never worry about what any assistant coach does either if they basically stay on the bench and coach.

Deal with any unsporting comments from the bench according to your own personal tolerance level whether they're from a head coach or any other bench personnel.

The comments are your problem, not the movement.
Exactly right. I had to shut down an assistant coach in the first 2 minutes of my game last night. The head coach was up coaching and the assistant was loud and obnoxious from the bench. Told him I'd talk to the head guy all night long, but I wasn't going to listen to him from the bench. Considered going through the head coach, but he was probably 10 feet away and it was just easier to deal with the assistant directly.

Final score was something like 80-31. Tough game to work as the winning team had a full court press on for almost the entire game and the losing team started ratcheting up the physicality the more frustrated they got.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify. Non Varsity have no coaching box in our state. Coach would get up and move from one end of bench to the other with the offense and defense. I was just wondering if this should be allowed. She stated she remained in contact with the bench while moving. The few comments were not so bad it was just that she said those while moving from one end of bench to the other and was standing at the time. I told her I would not mind her moving if she was coaching her kids. Just looking for some input to sort this out if it ever occurs again. Thanks