The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

How would you respond to/address this?

BV tournament today. Home team is the host school. The game is a mess...no flow, lots of fouls, turnovers, etc. We get in the bonus both ways in the first half. I grant the V coach a timeout with about 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter and I'm standing right in front of his bench. Before I go to report the timeout, he tells me something along the lines of "You've gotta get them off of us, one of my guys is going to throw an elbow". The only thing I said at the time was "Coach, that would not be a good idea at all". (The fouls were 6-5 at this point, 5:30 into the 3rd quarter....we were calling fouls)

After the timeout, I walk back by his bench and he informs me that "Number 11 is the dirtiest player in the area...blah blah blah". I just tell him that if 11 fouls we will call it. (The truth is that 11 was the other team's best player and they were beating the Visitors by 10+ most of the game)

Would you guys have handled this differently? Are any of you of the opinion that a T was warranted for the threat of an elbow by his team? If they did do it, I don't think a flagrant would have been out of the question at all for the guilty player.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 12:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
BV tournament today. Home team is the host school. The game is a mess...no flow, lots of fouls, turnovers, etc. We get in the bonus both ways in the first half. I grant the V coach a timeout with about 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter and I'm standing right in front of his bench. Before I go to report the timeout, he tells me something along the lines of "You've gotta get them off of us, one of my guys is going to throw an elbow". The only thing I said at the time was "Coach, that would not be a good idea at all". (The fouls were 6-5 at this point, 5:30 into the 3rd quarter....we were calling fouls)

After the timeout, I walk back by his bench and he informs me that "Number 11 is the dirtiest player in the area...blah blah blah". I just tell him that if 11 fouls we will call it. (The truth is that 11 was the other team's best player and they were beating the Visitors by 10+ most of the game)

Would you guys have handled this differently? Are any of you of the opinion that a T was warranted for the threat of an elbow by his team? If they did do it, I don't think a flagrant would have been out of the question at all for the guilty player.
I've got no problem with the statement, "Coach, that would not be a good idea at all". Something better might be "Coach, I advise your player to not 'throw an elbow'." I wouldn't T for this 'threat of an elbow'.

I'd ignore his "Number 11" comment, but if an elbow did occur, then it certainly could be a flagrant. The criteria are well known for a flagrant.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
No T, just suggest another course of action by his team.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Anytime a coach tells me what I "must do" I simply tell them that is not their job to tell me what to do. Then if they want to talk about a play I will talk, but they are not going to tell me what I must do. I do not tell them what they must do, I give suggestions and they choose to follow.

After that if a coach wants to tell me what his kid is going to do, I will tell him what I will do. It is his choice to advocate that or to play fair and under the rules. The coach is playing a mind game and trying to get you to call something that is going to benefit them. Do not get suckered into that game.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
the coach is playing a mind game and trying to get you to call something that is going to benefit them. Do not get suckered into that game.
+1
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 08:27am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
if a coach wants to tell me what his kid is going to do, I will tell him what I will do.
"Coach, that would be considered fighting, so he'd be tossed and miss the next two games. So that's not a good idea".

Quote:
The coach is playing a mind game and trying to get you to call something that is going to benefit them.
Come on. No coach would stoop to doing that, would they?????