The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Players crash

Overall, we had a very good game last night. Girls Varsity.

With 48 seconds remaining in the game, the visitors bringing the ball up court, are losing control due to pressure from the defense ( full court press ). We are about 5 feet in back court.

I am trail on the ball table side. A1 pressured by B1 tries to throw the ball off the leg of B1 to have the ball go OOB. As A1 is doing this, she is falling off balance towards the sideline.

B1 steals the ball and heads toward her basket. She rushes past the fall A1 and some contact occures, but B1 remains in control of the ball and I've go a no call, A1 falls OOB and looks to be injured as she doesn't get right up. B1 passes to b2 and she makes a lay-up. From the time the ball is stolen to the lay up is about 4 to 5 seconds.

We blow the ball dead to check on A1. She is still laying OOB, her father the AC is with her. Her mother comes out of the crowd complaining the we allowed the game to continue while A1 is injured.

A1 is removed from the game about about 4 minutes. officials had come together to compare notes on the incident. I had nothing, Center had nothing and trail saw contact, but didn't know who had caused the contact.

Late in the 3rd Q, A1 came back into the game without any problems.

Our concern at the time of the incident, of course, was did she have a concussion, we don't believe she did, just a sore neck.

Not much we could say to the coaches or parents. we had incidental contact, no advantage or disadvantage. If I had to have called a foul it would have been on the fallen player and that would have looked worse. I passed.

I know we could have stopped the game sooner, but we didn't. Both of my partners are very experienced. I always worry about injuries.

Any thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Other than calling a T on the Mom's team (or is it the home team for failure of Game management, I forget), it seems you did everything right.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been taught that if an injured player is in danger of being injured further or causing an injury to stop it right away. If the injured player is out of harms way and either team is going to the basket let the play continue until the ball settles or the ball becomes dead.

That being said, if the injury is serious like player being unconscious or blood I would think you are better off erroring on the side of stopping the play right away.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji07 View Post
I've always been taught that if an injured player is in danger of being injured further or causing an injury to stop it right away. If the injured player is out of harms way and either team is going to the basket let the play continue until the ball settles or the ball becomes dead.

That being said, if the injury is serious like player being unconscious or blood I would think you are better off erroring on the side of stopping the play right away.
I believe in high school, the direction is to stop play as soon as the other team ceases to actively attack the basket, or as soon as they actually release a shot attempt. If it misses, go AP, if it's made, ball to the proper team.

Obviously, you're right about blood (severe, not minor, bleeding) or consciousness.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

It seems to be a fairly fine line, do you take the advantage from the team with the ball?

I had a player go down once in back court and stay down during the fast break by the opponent, I blew to check on him and he was perfectly fine, just lazy.

I had no doubt she was hurt, just didn't think it was too bad.

I feel terrible when these things happen. Thank goodness, they don't happen too often.

I do need to pray more before the games. I used to do it before every game, now sometimes I forget with everything else going on.....Prayer never hurts.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts? Sounds like you did everything correctly. (Assuming you got AWAY from the location of the injured player and into the middle of the court far away from the anyone else once the coach was beckoned).
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

That we did. We moved to center court.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I do need to pray more before the games. I used to do it before every game, now sometimes I forget with everything else going on.....Prayer never hurts.
Amen brother! I say a little pray every game.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

A useful and thorough procedure:
Player Injury
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I do this before every game. I agree it helps. I also feel more relaxed when I do.

Robby
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Other than calling a T on the Mom's team (or is it the home team for failure of Game management, I forget), it seems you did everything right.
Would of sworn this was a Nevada post if I didn't look closely
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.