The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Time

Watched a VB Game last night - clock issues right off the tip. About 30 seconds of play without the clock moving. When we asked the offical why he didn't take time off the clock he responded that refs can't take time off - just can add time. I thought that if we had definate knowledge - such as chopping time during the issue -we could adjust.

Thoughts...
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Watched a VB Game last night - clock issues right off the tip. About 30 seconds of play without the clock moving. When we asked the offical why he didn't take time off the clock he responded that refs can't take time off - just can add time. I thought that if we had definate knowledge - such as chopping time during the issue -we could adjust.

Thoughts...
Backcourt, 5 second and throw-in counts can all be used to take time off of the clock.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

We can, but have to have definite knowledge, e.g. 10-second count, closely guarded count, etc. It seems the "can't take time off, on put on" is from a long time ago. Some of the vets with better memories than mine can either attest to that or not. (Indiana beat me to it)
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post

Thoughts...
5-10
ART. 1

The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock.

ART. 2

If the referee determines that the clock malfunctioned or was not started/stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an official's count or other official information may be used to make a correction.

=========================================
It says nothing about only putting time on or off.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Fri Jan 07, 2011 at 09:27am.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three, Four, Shut The Door ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Backcourt, 5 second and throw-in counts can all be used to take time off of the clock.
Three seconds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

The bigger issue is why didn't any of the officials not glance at the clock to see if it was running or not?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

The Rule Book can be a dangerous thing.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The bigger issue is why didn't any of the officials not glance at the clock to see if it was running or not?
Agree.

Same type of situation, what if after a whistle the timer tells you the clock kept running after it should have. Say for example it should have stopped at 3:10 but it is at 3:00. Is the timer's word good enough for 'other information' to reset it to 3:10?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Agree.

Same type of situation, what if after a whistle the timer tells you the clock kept running after it should have. Say for example it should have stopped at 3:10 but it is at 3:00. Is the timer's word good enough for 'other information' to reset it to 3:10?
We always pregame clock management at every game at every level.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Agree.

At three minutes, I'd take the timer's word on this.

At three seconds with the visitors trying to score in a close game, I would not.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I always tell this to the timers before the game - "If you forget to start the clock, we'll yell at you. If you forget to stop the clock, we won't say anything."
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Three seconds.
I didn't include 3 seconds because it may coincide with another count.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I didn't include 3 seconds because it may coincide with another count.
Hmmm, can we use crowd counts?

"well, coach, I know at least three seconds should have come off because your crowd was counting."
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't it also depend on the competence of the timer & if they look as if they know what they're doing?

Not always will the timer be the best source of information due to other things happening at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
At three minutes, I'd take the timer's word on this.

At three seconds with the visitors trying to score in a close game, I would not.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Shouldn't it also depend on the competence of the timer & if they look as if they know what they're doing?

Not always will the timer be the best source of information due to other things happening at the table.
Nah, if they tell me 10 seconds didn't elapse that should have when were at the 3 minute mark; that's good enough for me. I'm going to be far more careful, however, under 10 seconds. If I or my partner don't have direct personal information, I'm not making a change.

Frankly, this has little to nothing to do with my perception of the competence of the timer.