The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60394-time.html)

Refsmitty Fri Jan 07, 2011 09:08am

Time

Watched a VB Game last night - clock issues right off the tip. About 30 seconds of play without the clock moving. When we asked the offical why he didn't take time off the clock he responded that refs can't take time off - just can add time. I thought that if we had definate knowledge - such as chopping time during the issue -we could adjust.

Thoughts...

Indianaref Fri Jan 07, 2011 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 713019)
Watched a VB Game last night - clock issues right off the tip. About 30 seconds of play without the clock moving. When we asked the offical why he didn't take time off the clock he responded that refs can't take time off - just can add time. I thought that if we had definate knowledge - such as chopping time during the issue -we could adjust.

Thoughts...

Backcourt, 5 second and throw-in counts can all be used to take time off of the clock.

centkyref Fri Jan 07, 2011 09:17am

We can, but have to have definite knowledge, e.g. 10-second count, closely guarded count, etc. It seems the "can't take time off, on put on" is from a long time ago. Some of the vets with better memories than mine can either attest to that or not. (Indiana beat me to it)

dsqrddgd909 Fri Jan 07, 2011 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 713019)

Thoughts...

5-10
ART. 1

The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock.

ART. 2

If the referee determines that the clock malfunctioned or was not started/stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an official's count or other official information may be used to make a correction.

=========================================
It says nothing about only putting time on or off.

BillyMac Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32am

Three, Four, Shut The Door ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 713029)
Backcourt, 5 second and throw-in counts can all be used to take time off of the clock.

Three seconds.

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38am

The bigger issue is why didn't any of the officials not glance at the clock to see if it was running or not?

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40am

The Rule Book can be a dangerous thing. :)

mj Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 713056)
The bigger issue is why didn't any of the officials not glance at the clock to see if it was running or not?

Agree.

Same type of situation, what if after a whistle the timer tells you the clock kept running after it should have. Say for example it should have stopped at 3:10 but it is at 3:00. Is the timer's word good enough for 'other information' to reset it to 3:10?

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 713079)
Agree.

Same type of situation, what if after a whistle the timer tells you the clock kept running after it should have. Say for example it should have stopped at 3:10 but it is at 3:00. Is the timer's word good enough for 'other information' to reset it to 3:10?

We always pregame clock management at every game at every level.

Adam Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 713079)
Agree.

At three minutes, I'd take the timer's word on this.

At three seconds with the visitors trying to score in a close game, I would not.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 07, 2011 01:05pm

I always tell this to the timers before the game - "If you forget to start the clock, we'll yell at you. If you forget to stop the clock, we won't say anything." :D

Indianaref Fri Jan 07, 2011 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 713053)
Three seconds.

I didn't include 3 seconds because it may coincide with another count.

Adam Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 713154)
I didn't include 3 seconds because it may coincide with another count.

Hmmm, can we use crowd counts?

"well, coach, I know at least three seconds should have come off because your crowd was counting."

chseagle Fri Jan 07, 2011 04:46pm

Shouldn't it also depend on the competence of the timer & if they look as if they know what they're doing?

Not always will the timer be the best source of information due to other things happening at the table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 713101)
At three minutes, I'd take the timer's word on this.

At three seconds with the visitors trying to score in a close game, I would not.

Adam Fri Jan 07, 2011 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 713262)
Shouldn't it also depend on the competence of the timer & if they look as if they know what they're doing?

Not always will the timer be the best source of information due to other things happening at the table.

Nah, if they tell me 10 seconds didn't elapse that should have when were at the 3 minute mark; that's good enough for me. I'm going to be far more careful, however, under 10 seconds. If I or my partner don't have direct personal information, I'm not making a change.

Frankly, this has little to nothing to do with my perception of the competence of the timer.