The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Bad call?

I think so, but it happened so quick.

I had player A1 with the ball charge B1. A1 bounces off and B1 maintains her position, but when it happened, I blew on it thinking B1 was going to the floor. But B1 just took the hit and didn't move....

I thought, come on help me out here, fall.

I would loved to have held the whistle, but I didn't...what can you do? I called the charge.....

I hope it was the worst call I had but I am not sure...Hoping for a better game tonight.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

I had player A1 with the ball charge B1. A1 bounces off and B1 maintains her position, but when it happened, I blew on it thinking B1 was going to the floor. But B1 just took the hit and didn't move....

I would loved to have held the whistle, but I didn't...what can you do? I called the charge.....
I dont believe a defender HAS to fall for a p/c to be called.

Let the play completely finish as in SDF before popping.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

I hope it was the worst call I had but I am not sure...Hoping for a better game tonight.
How about a travel call against A1? (assuming she wasn't still dribbling)
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you made the right call. Defender doesn't have to get run over to be in good position
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

I would look at it from this perspective. What advantage did A1 gain by virtue of his/her illegal contact? If none, I would either go with a no-call or perhaps a travel if applicable.

Just from your description of the play, I would say A1 did not gain any advantage. But, that's JMO.

Last edited by Welpe; Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 05:02pm.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like perhaps a no-call was warranted, but we've all had this call that we want back.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like perhaps a no-call was warranted, but we've all had this call that we want back.
Been there. Done that. I hate it when that happens.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

If the defense is displaced/impeded at all then you can still make the charge call. If they really don't move or lose their ability to move and whistle goes then you better hope for understanding coaches or find another call.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Go with the charge or inadvertent whistle. If there was a travel after the contact, then go with that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
If the defense is displaced/impeded at all then you can still make the charge call. If they really don't move or lose their ability to move and whistle goes then you better hope for understanding coaches or find another call.
Given the choice, I would have rather held the whistle, but I reacted too quickly.

The game was very sloppy by both teams. that made it hard to officiate.

We called about 40 fouls total including a "T" ( not by me ).

it wasn't a close game about 25 points most of the night, but the turn overs, about 25 to 30 it was sloppy and we as a crew fell into it.

Tonight I had a much better game. Boys Varsity, no regrets.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Given the choice, I would have rather held the whistle, but I reacted too quickly.

The game was very sloppy by both teams. that made it hard to officiate.

We called about 40 fouls total including a "T" ( not by me ).

it wasn't a close game about 25 points most of the night, but the turn overs, about 25 to 30 it was sloppy and we as a crew fell into it.

Tonight I had a much better game. Boys Varsity, no regrets.
Had one of those games tonight myself. After working a GV holiday tournament with some of the best teams in the state last week, the adjustment to the last 2 nights has been a bit tough. Going from 3 to 2 on the crew didn't help. Tonight 3 would have been helpful. Once one of the players in the middle of a lot of the rough play picked up #5 midway through the 3rd qtr, things improved.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

A bunch of you who responded said go with a charge even though he states that the Team B player maintained her position...not displaced. So since we (the official) made a bad call by blowing the whistle too soon we are going to make up a foul on the offense? Eat crow and rule an IW and give the ball back to the offense...don't penalize someone to try to cover our mistake.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
A bunch of you who responded said go with a charge even though he states that the Team B player maintained her position...not displaced. So since we (the official) made a bad call by blowing the whistle too soon we are going to make up a foul on the offense? Eat crow and rule an IW and give the ball back to the offense...don't penalize someone to try to cover our mistake.
Typically, this is something we call and think about for a bit; realizing we should have held our whistle. My brain doesn't work fast enough to go through both regret and resolution before I've reported it and put the ball in play.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

A1 clearly charged into B1 and the contact was significant, but B1 was a stronger player.

You've seen it, B1 is 5'7" tall and 180lbs and A1 is 4'10" and 89 lbs.

But I blew too early.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
How about a travel call against A1? (assuming she wasn't still dribbling)
Had exact play last year in a G/V game. Put air in the whistle too early, didn't know how the girl didn't go down or at least don't know why she had not been taught to take a charge....would have made my call much easier. Fortunately, it was early in the game and long forgotten as they were the run away winner. As Rocky said, it should have been a travel.