The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:28pm
Back from the DL

Transition to one-on-one

You're the T (two man). There's a quick steal near the division line, and we're going the other way, one on one, with you as the L.

Do you...
*Sprint to the end-line right away, regardless of where the players are?
*Hang back a bit until the layup?
*Let your eyes determine your spot on the floor?
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
You're the T (two man). There's a quick steal near the division line, and we're going the other way, one on one, with you as the L.

Do you...
Move to improve.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have to say "hustle to the end line". I've yet to hear anyone complain about an official that is always hustling.

One exception, though. If the transition occurs on my side and the ball handler is directly in front of or moving directly up the court towards me at a quick rate, I hold my position oob and let the player(s) move up the court. Then, I sprint to catch up and/or get to the end line - maintaining a good angle - for the finish in the paint.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:37pm
This IS My Social Life

Don't Get Hit in the Back of the Head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Do you...
I'll take a stab . . . . . .

A. Sprint, yes. But don't let that keep you from using your head as a periscope looking back at the play. You need to see the play as it's transitioning down court. No sense sprinting to the endline only to miss a necessary call before the dribbler gets that far.
B. If you get beat, that's ok. "Loop back" when the play passes you, prioritizing getting a good angle on the play that develops in front of you.
C. ???

Especially tricky, as I found again last week, when a shot goes up from across the court from you near the three point arc. Neither you, from across the court transitioning, nor your partner, still transitioning and likely yet in the backcourt, have a good look at this one. Good luck seeing if it's a two or a three, cuz this is a difficult one to get. That's apparently why they pay you and me the big bucks.

Sound solid?
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on how quick they are

I usually sprint down and get at the end line, keeping my head turned so I can see the players or if they get past me, I stay behind them. Since most often a quick steal will result in a lay up try, I want to ensure I don't miss a foul if it were to occur.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

My rookie class was trained a bit differently. We were taught in this situation to get down around the free throw line extended, get set and referee the initial fast break. If the shot was missed or not taken, then we were to work down to the end line.

Our trainer said that by doing this we had a better look while stationary than trying to beat the players down the court and take the whole play in.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 05:23pm
This IS My Social Life

Video Clips of Your Sitch

From the NFHS video collection, accessed either from the NFHS website or through the NFHS Hub on Arbiter, here are two instances of your situation:

New lead hustling to get a good look at the play from the endline:
Dartfish.tv - Channel NFHS Basketball Officials Education Channel videos

New lead "getting beat" but looping back to try to get a good angle on the play which demanded a call:
http://www.dartfish.tv/WebPresenter/....aspx?CR=p2552, search word "beat" to a clip entitled "Transition: Lead Beat on Play"

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 06:25pm. Reason: Correctable Error
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 05:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Our trainer said that by doing this we had a better look while stationary.
Agree. Avoid bouncing eyeballs syndrome.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 06:02pm.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 06:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Move to improve.
Aka move to get into position to see the separation between the dribbler and the defender. Usually the absolute worse thing that you can do is sprint. All that does is usually get you straight-lined. I don't care how fast you think you are, you are not going to get to the endline and then get across it to get a good look at any contact.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 06:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
aka move to get into position to see the separation between the dribbler and the defender. Usually the absolute worse thing that you can do is sprint. All that does is usually get you straight-lined. I don't care how fast you think you are, you are not going to get to the endline and then get across it to get a good look at any contact.
+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 07:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Aka move to get into position to see the separation between the dribbler and the defender. Usually the absolute worse thing that you can do is sprint. All that does is usually get you straight-lined. I don't care how fast you think you are, you are not going to get to the endline and then get across it to get a good look at any contact.
Exactly what I meant. I used to try to beat everyone down the court, and usually I could. But I found that often my angle was not great. Nobody is impressed that I am faster than kids on a fast break. So, if I am going to get beat, I am going to have the best angle I can on the play, which may be 10 feet to the side of the dribbler and defender which allows me to see any contact. Once that play has finished, I can get to my lead position outside the end line. I don't want to rely on a T or C at mid-court to see contact I couldn't see because I straight-lined myself.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
aka move to get into position to see the separation between the dribbler and the defender. Usually the absolute worse thing that you can do is sprint. All that does is usually get you straight-lined. I don't care how fast you think you are, you are not going to get to the endline and then get across it to get a good look at any contact.
+2
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
This is the correct answer, IMO. I'll add that the best angle is normally a button hook towards the middle of the court to get a view of the separation. When the steal initially happens, I find it best to stay put and pivot to prevent running in to a player. From there, I'll move to get an angle which is most likely towards the middle fo the court so you can see the separation or lack thereof.

Last edited by Mregor; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 11:17pm.