Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We have a regular crew, just like we do in football. The three of us work together a majority of the time. I am the crew chief, so I'm always listed on Arbiter as the R. When our crew works, we rotate the R position each night. I'm comfortable doing that because we have a veteran crew and I know we're on the same page.

When one of my two partners closes out, and we have a fill-in, I work the R. I don't want someone I'm not as familiar with making a decision as the referee that could get us in hot water. If I'm the one the assignor is going to call the next morning, then I'm calling the shots.
Seriously, though, what shots do you call? You toss the ball (or designate the tosser) and have defined areas of responsibility as the referee, but the R's responsibilities don't include telling the rest of the crew how to work the game.

If we whack a coach, the R will traditionally file the "loss of coaching box" report with the state, but even there as long as it gets done it doesn't matter who files the report. Of course, we don't have a central assignor and we've only ever had one conference assignor who tried designating the R (he also refused to hire crews, which is the area norm), but he only lasted 2 years in the position.