The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Nine games in 24 hours

I love kids rec season. Two games Friday night, four in a row on Saturday morning starting at 8:15 then three more late Saturday afternoon into the evening.

Before each game, I told the coaches I would spot any team that walked the ball up all game ten points. Didn't have any takers, though.

Yeah - I know. If I didn't want so many, I shouldn't accept them. Well, two of the morning games were fill-ins for no-shows and one of the late Saturday games was the same thing. I was just trying to be a nice guy.

The meds are helping, but I think I also need a respirator.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

About 3 years ago, a friend who was a rec. league director asked if I could help out, so . . . I did 14 games in one day! Clearly I didn't learn my lesson as earlier this season I ran 16 Varsity Boys and Girls games in 3 days . . .

Yes . . . stupid . . . I know . . . my legs know . . . my feet know . . . my back knows . . . yes . . . I know . . .
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Rub your game check on it; feels real nice.

I remember weekends like that working baseball, going 15-18 games in a weekend working tournaments. Ah, to be 18 again.....
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

We finally got smart. When doing these rec tournys - we work 2 man but our 3 man crew shows. We rotate on a court all day - 2 games on - one off. Sometimes - if we get another 3 person crew on adjacent court the "off" person will cross over and work on the other court. You end up working with 5 different people.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I love kids rec season. Two games Friday night, four in a row on Saturday morning starting at 8:15 then three more late Saturday afternoon into the evening.

Before each game, I told the coaches I would spot any team that walked the ball up all game ten points. Didn't have any takers, though.

Yeah - I know. If I didn't want so many, I shouldn't accept them. Well, two of the morning games were fill-ins for no-shows and one of the late Saturday games was the same thing. I was just trying to be a nice guy.

The meds are helping, but I think I also need a respirator.

Kids travel tourney here last weekend, assignor did 13 on Saturday, 13 on Sunday.

Funeral arrangements are pending.........
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm used to doing 4-6 in our rec league...

A couple weeks ago I had a travel tourney and did 7 games Saturday and 4 Sunday...yeah, the paycheck is nice but the doggs bark like heck afterwards!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

How many youth/rec tournaments would you say don't pay for their officials? In our area, we have four days worth of tournaments. These tournaments are hosted by two local schools and their b-ball teams and we area refs have spent the previous three months covering the underclassmen games. I imagine they believe this is our chance to pay them back. One local church has a tournament and they pay $25 a game on a 74 foot floor. Three steps and you're in the front court. They don't have a lot of trouble finding guys to work those games. The schools make sure we get a sandwich for our work.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Some schools pay $20/game - no concessions some pay $25/game and free concessions. Guys usually will take one water bottle or gatorade and refill at fountain. No freebies though. We have to drive, pay for shoes, unis etc - not to mention teh wear and tear on the body so have adapted this policy.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
......$25 a game on a 74 foot floor. Three steps and you're in the front court.
Sounds like my kinda court!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Nine in 24 hours certainly isn't the most I've ever worked, but it is at this age. About 7 years ago, I worked a tournament of 4 on a Friday night, 10 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday, including the title game which started at 10:00 pm. For you guys on the East coast, that means I was blowing my whistle at about 2:30 am your time. Hope I didn't wake you.

For you Portland area guys, this was a kids tourney for Robbie Fenk at Tigard HS (full HS court - yikes). The nice thing about Robbie was not only that you got paid cash at the games, but you got free concessions, too.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Our rec league went up to $25/game this year! Easy money...

The hoops facility I work at is $20/game...

No freebies at the concession stand at either place

Those game fees really should be the other way around....the reg leauge is just so laid back compared to the other place and the Jr High games I work.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Our rec league went up to $25/game this year! Easy money...

The hoops facility I work at is $20/game...

No freebies at the concession stand at either place

Those game fees really should be the other way around....the reg leauge is just so laid back compared to the other place and the Jr High games I work.
30 agame is about as low as I'll go. I realize it's where you reside, but that's pretty much the minimum in the Chicago area.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Sounds like my kinda court!
I've heard from other officials around here that the Mackinac Island High School court was so small that it didn't even have a division line. There was no backcourt count and no backcourt violation. They would fly the officials over on Friday during the day for two games and then another two on Saturday before flying them back.

They have a new gym now and I can't find any pictures of the old gym.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
30 agame is about as low as I'll go. I realize it's where you reside, but that's pretty much the minimum in the Chicago area.
As a former Chicagoan, I'm curious as to the part of town in which you reside. No particular reason (I'm not a stalker or anything), just curious.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
I've heard from other officials around here that the Mackinac Island High School court was so small that it didn't even have a division line. There was no backcourt count and no backcourt violation. They would fly the officials over on Friday during the day for two games and then another two on Saturday before flying them back.

They have a new gym now and I can't find any pictures of the old gym.
Saw a story on Paradise, MI school on ESPN this morning that had a gym converted out of the cafeteria...Man it was TINY! The story was about this old fella who collected cans for the athletic department there. In MI it's $.10 for retruning them and he has raised over $10K for the school.

The school had like 100 something kids in grades 1-12....very small...