The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 02:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

OK, they were just rec games with 7 minute quarters, but I still had to run up and down just the same. Friday night, I did three HS level, then on Saturday, I was scheduled for only three 7th & 8th but had to fill in and cover for someone who canceled at the last minute, so I did three more 8th grade boys.

The only up side is that I got those gel heel pad inserts. It made a real difference, especially since the gym floor for all nine games is composition and has absolutely no give to it.

The only exciting thing that happened is that I gave a T to one of the HS coaches. He was complaining about the lack of foul calls, got in my partner's face about it during a quarter break, then yelled at me about a "no call". I told him to calm down, he yelled again, I gave him the stop sign and said "enough on that subject, Coach", he yelled again and THWACK! He shut up after that.

The real reason he was mad is that his team got b-slapped, 32-5. Yes, they only scored 5 points the entire game. In fact, they scored their last 2 points with 10 seconds to go in the game. Up until that time, they had only one field goal and one made free throw. Frankly, I felt sorry for them.

Only three more Saturdays to go in the rec season, then I'm hanging the whistle up for good. Time to retire.

I do have a rec game scheduled with Juulie next Saturday. I'll post her eval on the board.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Every summer, at one of the camps, I end up doing 6 or 7 games in one day. One summer I did 9. And at camps you can't let up.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Must be that time of year. I had a Jr Hi tournament with 2 games friday, followed by a varsity game that nite, then 2 games in the JR hi Tournament on Saturday, followed by a JV game that day...so I had six in 24 hours....Also had a T LOL. Called an intentional foul on a kid from the team who was losing but should have been winning....coach is upset, tells me in no uncertain terms and quite loudly that he disagrees....well, he call that call Bull***t, so wham easy one....he did end up winning in the end....so I suppose I am not on the Christmas list this year, but he better get over it...regionals is next week, and we will both be there LOL...
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are wussies.

I worked 7 games in 11 hours on Saturday.

2 youth league games.

1 HS boys conference championship game.

2 more youth league games.

2 adult church league games.

That's why I'm just crawling out of bed at 6:53pm on Sunday.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wussies

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You guys are wussies.

I worked 7 games in 11 hours on Saturday.

How are the balls of your feet?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

OK - as long as we're having a spitting contest, two years ago I worked 18 games in 2 1/2 days - four on Friday night, eight on Saturday and six on Sunday, including the tournament championship. This was for a boys HS rec tournament with teams from all over the Pacific NW and British Columbia. The only break I had was one hour between my fourth and fifth games on Saturday.

BTW - all games were regulation 8 minute quarter stop clock.

We did get free drinks, however. BFD.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I went to a camp one summer where not enough refs signed up, so we ended up working 6-9 boys varsity games per day. There were a number of the top teams from Washington there, and a lot of really intense basketball. it was a blast, though, and I learned a lot. The last day, I did only four in the morning, and then flew home, and went to another camp where, again there weren't enough refs, and I did two boys varsity that afternoon, and three or four more the next day. I was laughing pretty hard at the others who were whining about more than three. Oh, and that second camp was three person, which I had never done before. What a week!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Boys varsity Tuesday.
Girls varsity Thursday.
Boys varsity Friday.
7 games in 7 hours on Saturday -- games started on the hour and ran about 55 minutes each (20 minute running clock except the last minute of the first half and last two of the second).

I can barely walk today, but I honestly didn't let up yesterday for any of the seven. Had a hard time getting out of the car when I got home, though.

7 rec games and only 1 technical the whole day
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah well

OK, my turn. . . .I did three games on Saturday, 7th grade tournament. I've got two whole games next Saturday (8th grade tournament). If this is a pi$$ing contest, it's just dribbling down my leg. . . .

But I'm a full time principal who teaches 25 students in grades 6-8 day in and day out. Does that count for anything???
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

OH YEAH. . . .

I almost forgot. . . .Padge, if you're going to hang up the whistle, I trust that means you will spend your full time disseminating wisdom to this form, correct?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:10am
In Memoriam

Re: OH YEAH. . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
...I trust that means you will spend your full time disseminating ....
What's U.P., Padgett?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
OK - as long as we're having a spitting contest,
ahem,,,,,,,we used to have to work games where you had to run uphill both ways on the court, barefoot with snowdrifts so high it hid the bleachers.......

hehehe
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Wed: 3 Mens Rec
Thurs: JV Girls
Fri: Varsity Boys (conference champs at rival team that is down this year, packed gym, screaming fans, great time)
Sat: 2 MS T-Ment games (tile Floor, ouch), 4 YMCA games, 2 more MS T-Ment games (same tile floor)
Sun: slept in, hobbled to shower, 2 more MS T-Ment games on yes, you guess it, same tile floor.
Tonight: Ice skating with kids if my shins hold up.

Mregor
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Everyone, quit whinning. We are independant contractors and make our own schedule. I used to work 8 games in 9 hours every Saturday. Once I worked 12 one hour games in a row. It is my fault that I scheduled them that way. This weekend I did a Varsity (OT) on Friday, 4 on Saturday morning, three on Saturday afternoon, and three more on Sunday afternoon; and it's all my fault, I scheduled it that way.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I was feeling sore this morning after doing four games back-to-back-to-back-to-back yesterday, but now I realize that I'm just worthless and weak.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.