The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 12:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

On Sunday night, Mother's Day, I had four games starting at 6:00 pm. My last game at 9:00 was delayed for various reasons and didn't start until 9:25. It ran until about 10:35.

I only mention this for you guys on the East coast. Since I am on Pacific time, this means that at 1:35 am your time, while you were getting your beauty sleep to prepare for your Monday morning commute, I was sticking a banana in some howler monkey's pie-hole and telling him to go scratch himself.

Sweet dreams.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 02:44am
In Memoriam

Thanks for sharing that with us from the East coast.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Just think - when we're getting up at 7 am, you're still snug in bed at 4 am your time!
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The sad thing, Mark, is that only 3 hours or so after you walked off the court, while you were making your patently futile attempt at "beauty" sleep , those of us on the East coast were yawning, scratching ourselves, and shoveling breakfast cereal (with bananas on it) into our pie-holes. Man, I hate Monday mornings.

Chuck
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
On Sunday night, Mother's Day, I had four games starting at 6:00 pm. My last game at 9:00 was delayed for various reasons and didn't start until 9:25. It ran until about 10:35.

I only mention this for you guys on the East coast. Since I am on Pacific time, this means that at 1:35 am your time, while you were getting your beauty sleep to prepare for your Monday morning commute, I was sticking a banana in some howler monkey's pie-hole and telling him to go scratch himself.

Sweet dreams.
Had a similar situation Friday. Scheduled for a 10:00 pm & 11:00 pm game (boys varsity "late night" league). There was a 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 game and the 7:00 game went to overtime, and the 9:00 game went into double overtime. I know Mark, this is not supposed to happen. My 10:00 game started at 11:15. I got home at 1:45 am, so we probably went to bed about the same time -- just a continent apart.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Had a similar situation Friday. Scheduled for a 10:00 pm & 11:00 pm game (boys varsity "late night" league). There was a 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 game and the 7:00 game went to overtime, and the 9:00 game went into double overtime. I know Mark, this is not supposed to happen. My 10:00 game started at 11:15. I got home at 1:45 am, so we probably went to bed about the same time -- just a continent apart.
This is why sudden death OT in summer ball is a must.

I would have wacked both coaches before the tip and gone home....
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Quote:

There was a 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 game and the 7:00 game went to overtime, and the 9:00 game went into double overtime. I know Mark, this is not supposed to happen.
This is why sudden death OT in summer ball is a must.
Speaking of overtime, we will be reviewing the rules for our local rec league soon. I chair the committee and one of the changes I am going to push for deals with overtimes. Since we are on a tight time schedule in this league (eight consecutive games in each gym on Saturdays, etc.), I am going to propose the following:

If a game goes into overtime, the first team to score five points wins. If neither team scores five points in two minutes (stop time - no timeouts), then there will be a sudden death second overtime.

The reason for the "five" points is that it gives each team at least two possessions and puts some strategy into shooting threes. The reason that a team "must" get at least five to win in the two minutes is to avoid a team being ahead and holding on to the ball. This creates rough play due to intentional fouls. If a team is up say, 4-3 and has the ball, they still must try to score before the two minutes is up, and the defense is forced to play good defense without fouling.

BTW - we probably will be going to all running clock games also. It's not specifically a time management tool, but we feel it will be easier to get parent volunteers running the clock if they aren't constantly yelled at by other parents to start the clock.

I'd be interested to get some comments on the "five point must system".

Of course, I will never have to use it, since I don't allow overtimes.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

The one I work has 10 minute running quarters, 3 min. half. OT is one minute, if they are still tied then it goes to sudden death.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

My take is it's overly complicated and it leaves open
the possibility for double-overtime when neither team
can muster 5 points. Yeah, I know it potentially reduces
overtime when a team can get to 5 before the two minutes.
If your interest is to prevent the 7PM game from starting
at 8:30PM then just use a 2 minute running clock OT and
declare a tie at the end of the 2 minutes when need be.
Allow each team only 1 TO for the OT, FWIW & IMHO. OK,
TTFN...
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

My take is it's overly complicated and it leaves open
the possibility for double-overtime when neither team
can muster 5 points. Yeah, I know it potentially reduces
overtime when a team can get to 5 before the two minutes.
If your interest is to prevent the 7PM game from starting
at 8:30PM then just use a 2 minute running clock OT and
declare a tie at the end of the 2 minutes when need be.
Allow each team only 1 TO for the OT, FWIW & IMHO. OK,
TTFN...
The league I worked Friday has 20 minutes halves running clock, except for last 2 minutes. I like that because if a team decides they don't want to put the ball in play quickly, its their clock. Of course if they are winning by X points, the other team gets mad at the slow play.

One of our rec leagues has a 2-minute O/T and if still tied, they "start" another 2-minute O/T and the first team to score wins.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark --

I like it betetr when there is no time limit--it's simply the first team to 5. Your way is probably fairer, but very hard to explain. What coach (present company excepted) is going to understand it?
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome back Juulie!!!
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Mark --

I like it betetr when there is no time limit--it's simply the first team to 5. Your way is probably fairer, but very hard to explain. What coach (present company excepted) is going to understand it?
You could be right about it being confusing, but we may just try it for one season and see how it goes. Speaking of overtimes (ugh!), I had one today at The Hoop in Beaverton in a boys varsity game. Of course, it was my partner's fault. He called a shooting foul with three seconds to go so A1 goes to the line down two points. He hits both. Team B can't get off a shot and we go to a two minute OT.

Team B scores with 14 seconds to go to go up by two. A2 comes down, holds the ball, then with two seconds to go, puts up a 3. It swishes through at the horn.

Long game, but fun.

Earlier, I had a girls JV game and the halftime score was 46-2. Boy, that was fun, too.