The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When can the subs enter?
Immediately after the fouls are reported to the table 14 45.16%
Before the final (second) free throw for the personal foul 12 38.71%
After the final free throw for the personal foul 0 0%
Before the final (second) free throw for the technical foul 0 0%
After all free throws have been attempted 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Wow...the threads aren't old....YOU ARE!
If you're talking about that "roll over" thread, that one was an interpretation of rules language. We disagreed on the interpretation of what constitutes a "roll" and we still do. And we probably will until the FED issues something on it (if ever). Is that what you're talking about?

This thread is different. There is just no rules language that I know of that says you can't bring the subs in immediately after reporting the personal and technical fouls. And 3-3-01(d) says you can.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 04:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think Scratch is right on the money. I also don't think there's a big deal in going with A either.

Rut, you need some Christmas cheer.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If you're talking about that "roll over" thread, that one was an interpretation of rules language. We disagreed on the interpretation of what constitutes a "roll" and we still do. And we probably will until the FED issues something on it (if ever). Is that what you're talking about?

This thread is different. There is just no rules language that I know of that says you can't bring the subs in immediately after reporting the personal and technical fouls. And 3-3-01(d) says you can.
Actually, the rules, as written, support keeping the subs out until the personal foul FTs have only 1 remaining. The TF FT's don't occur until after the PF penalty is completed. When it comes time for TF FT's the sub rules that allow a sub in to take the TF FTs come into play.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm more inclined to go with Snaqwell's answer and go with B.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Y'All ??? Are You That Kid In The Video ???

Quote:
Y'all are still thinking too damn much.
"Cogito ergo sum." (René Descartes)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Cogito ergo sum." (René Descartes)
I ergo'd sum but then I just had to ergo sum more! I think.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, but there's no language to interpret in the traveling case play. The ruling in 4.44.5B says a player who is on the floor, holding the ball, can pass, shoot, start a dribble, request a time-out or sit up if he's on his back. Those are the ONLY things the ruling says the player CAN do.

Further, it specifically says that he can sit up if he's flat out his back. So why wouldn't the ruling include that he could roll to his side if it was allowed? Why would it tell us one thing he can do but ignore another if it was allowed?

I guess we can imagine. Mr. FED says, "Well, actually he can sit up if he's on his back and he can roll to his side but we just decided not to include that part in the ruling."

Sorry Woddy but that makes no sense. If he were allowed to roll to his side, they would have included that with the sitting up statement.

Merry Christmas!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Actually, the rules, as written, support keeping the subs out until the personal foul FTs have only 1 remaining. The TF FT's don't occur until after the PF penalty is completed. When it comes time for TF FT's the sub rules that allow a sub in to take the TF FTs come into play.
Sooooo....if the fouls were reversed in this situation and the technical foul preceded the personal foul, you'd keep all subs out until after the technical foul penalty is completed and there is only one FT left for the personal foul penalty? Or would you allow a sub in to shoot one or both of the technical foul FT's as allowed under 8-3, but not let the other eligible subs at the table come in during that same substitution opportunity?
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes, but there's no language to interpret in the traveling case play. The ruling in 4.44.5B says a player who is on the floor, holding the ball, can pass, shoot, start a dribble, request a time-out or sit up if he's on his back. Those are the ONLY things the ruling says the player CAN do.

Further, it specifically says that he can sit up if he's flat out his back. So why wouldn't the ruling include that he could roll to his side if it was allowed? Why would it tell us one thing he can do but ignore another if it was allowed?

I guess we can imagine. Mr. FED says, "Well, actually he can sit up if he's on his back and he can roll to his side but we just decided not to include that part in the ruling."

Sorry Woddy but that makes no sense. If he were allowed to roll to his side, they would have included that with the sitting up statement.

Merry Christmas!
You don't have 4.44.5SitB in your case book? The case book play that says "A1 may pass, shoot, dribble or call a timeout. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll OVER."? Somebody steal that case book play? And at Christmas too?

Case book plays are put out to clarify rules. It's true, it's true.....

We disagree. Shrug.

You and your family have a great Christmas too, Tony.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(what if the order was reversed -- dead ball T followed by PF during one of the FTs for the T -- do we still wait until the last PF FT?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
First we would have a mess on our hands. A contact foul during a T FT sounds ugly.

IMO, allow subs before first T FT, before second T FT and before last PF FT.
Quote:
Sooooo....if the fouls were reversed in this situation and the technical foul preceded the personal foul, you'd keep all subs out until after the technical foul penalty is completed and there is only one FT left for the personal foul penalty? Or would you allow a sub in to shoot one or both of the technical foul FT's as allowed under 8-3, but not let the other eligible subs at the table come in during that same substitution opportunity?
Nope. I would do what I said earlier. As the rules tell us to do.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nope, I'd let all subs in during the T shots. After the final T shot, the subs at the bench would have to wait until right before the final personal foul FT.

It seems weird, but demz da rulz
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't have 4.44.5SitB in your case book? The case book play that says "A1 may pass, shoot, dribble or call a timeout. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll OVER."?.
Yes, I quoted it. Why did you omit the rest of the ruling? If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating.

And why didn't you answer my question?

The ruling tells us what the player CAN do. "pass, shoot, dribble or call a timeout...If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up."

Nowhere does it tell us he can roll over on his side. Wonder why that is?

It's real simple...it's just not there. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Dec 23, 2010 at 07:00pm.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wait a tick! Is this a variation of Rules Rulz or Rulz Rules or Rulze Rulse or whatever it really is? I like "demz da rules, baby!"
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The ruling tells us what the player CAN do. "pass, shoot, dribble or call a timeout...If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up."

Nowhere does it tell us he can roll over on his side. Wonder why that is?

It's real simple...it's just not there.
It's not in the rule. It's in the case play.

Are you really saying a player either laying flat or sitting can't roll to the side while making a pass?

We disagree. Shrug.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2010, 08:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nope, I'd let all subs in during the T shots. After the final T shot, the subs at the bench would have to wait until right before the final personal foul FT.

What rules?

Are you really saying that 3-3-1(c) and 3-3-1(d) should both be used on the same situation? You'd apply 2 different rules to one situation?

Shudder.....

Or am I reading something wrong?