The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 05:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The NBA and FIBA have the rule, so if you really think about it, high school and college are in the minority. I think if NFHS surveyed coaches and ADs on a possible rule change to reflect the NBA and FIBA rule, they'd get a good majority approval on the change.
In this country, more games are played under NFHS and NCAA rules than any other. And quite frankly, I don't care what they play in other countries.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. The NFHS is loathe to make drastic changes to the rules and this change would be drastic.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
In this country, more games are played under NFHS and NCAA rules than any other. And quite frankly, I don't care what they play in other countries.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. The NFHS is loathe to make drastic changes to the rules and this change would be drastic.
I know that...I just pointed that two major rules body have seen no problem with the rule.

As far as it being drastic, it'd be a very easy rule to implement in my opinion. A more drastic rule would be adding a restricted area for secondary defenders. We've seen the NBA, FIBA, and NCAA-M go to it. I don't know if NFHS will add it anytime soon. I'd much rather see a shot clock mandated.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 05:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I know that...I just pointed that two major rules body have seen no problem with the rule.

As far as it being drastic, it'd be a very easy rule to implement in my opinion. A more drastic rule would be adding a restricted area for secondary defenders. We've seen the NBA, FIBA, and NCAA-M go to it. I don't know if NFHS will add it anytime soon. I'd much rather see a shot clock mandated.
We'll see none of those.

I'd prefer a shot clock. We had a team pull it out with 2 minutes left in the first and second quarter Thursday night. So we stood around for probably 3:30 of the game watching the clock run down.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We'll see none of those.

I'd prefer a shot clock. We had a team pull it out with 2 minutes left in the first and second quarter Thursday night. So we stood around for probably 3:30 of the game watching the clock run down.
Time will tell...I wouldn't mind seeing any of the changes. Don't mind the rules as it is now except for the lack of a mandated shot clock. Pulling it out with two minutes left and just holding it ain't playing basketball to me, but the rules makers didn't ask me. The closely guarded rule doesn't do enough because it's ridiculously easy for a competent point guard to break the 6 foot requirement.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 06:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Time will tell...I wouldn't mind seeing any of the changes. Don't mind the rules as it is now except for the lack of a mandated shot clock. Pulling it out with two minutes left and just holding it ain't playing basketball to me, but the rules makers didn't ask me. The closely guarded rule doesn't do enough because it's ridiculously easy for a competent point guard to break the 6 foot requirement.
We had the lack of action rule when I started officiating. I hope they never, ever think of bringing that back.

I don't foresee mandatory shot clocks. Schools would have to pay for the clocks as well as an operator for all games. They won't even hire 3 officials at 80% of the schools / conferences around here -- the NFHS isn't going to be mandating a shot clock anytime soon, although I would expect them to put it in as a state association adoption at some point.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had the lack of action rule when I started officiating. I hope they never, ever think of bringing that back.

I don't foresee mandatory shot clocks. Schools would have to pay for the clocks as well as an operator for all games. They won't even hire 3 officials at 80% of the schools / conferences around here -- the NFHS isn't going to be mandating a shot clock anytime soon, although I would expect them to put it in as a state association adoption at some point.
If they'd do it, they'd have to mandate by a certain time period...say five to seven years. I think that would be plenty of time for schools to add a shot clock. You're right about schools having to pay the shot clock operator and that's the only issue I'd see.

I agree we'll probably see it become allowed by NFHS by state adoption...much like instant replay during state tournaments, media timeouts, etc.

Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Instead of dress-type polyester slacks

I'd prefer some type of sweat pants, a bit lighter material. Football made a great transition from the knickers to sweat type pants.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I want no parts of a shot clock in high school ball. The games will be 2 hours long with all the stoppages to correct mistakes by the operator.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Not all the table crew for Varsity Games gets paid. My wife & I do Varsity Shot Clock volunteer, nor is the Varsity scorer getting paid.

The only way I see that the table crew should get any sort of pay (cash-wise) is if they have to go through all the same training/testing that the floor officials have to. However I don't see that becoming mandatory any time soon.

Quote:
If they'd do it, they'd have to mandate by a certain time period...say five to seven years. I think that would be plenty of time for schools to add a shot clock. You're right about schools having to pay the shot clock operator and that's the only issue I'd see.

I agree we'll probably see it become allowed by NFHS by state adoption...much like instant replay during state tournaments, media timeouts, etc.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

The games here are averaging about 75 minutes with both the boys & girls having a shot clock.

All it takes is knowledge of the rules involved & an attentive eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I want no parts of a shot clock in high school ball. The games will be 2 hours long with all the stoppages to correct mistakes by the operator.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There will be growing pains at first, but it seems like the states that do have the shot clock are doing just fine. As much as I don't want a two hour long high school game, I rather have that then a game where the ball is held for two minutes with no action. That to me ain't basketball.

Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I think it is largely the cost. I don't know what the cost is, but the upfront cost would be balked at by many administrators in times of shrinking budgets. I did a few games at Disney this summer that used the shot cock, and it was relatively easy to make the transition as an official. Except for a few times, I had a count going in the backcourt. Phasing in the cost of uniforms when white was mandated and giving 3 years to budget for them likely was less of a cost than the shot clocks would be.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

From what I noticed here when the boys got the shot clock, the growing pains were there but few & far between. Of course, we already had the girls' shot clock.

Quote:
There will be growing pains at first, but it seems like the states that do have the shot clock are doing just fine. As much as I don't want a two hour long high school game, I rather have that then a game where the ball is held for two minutes with no action. That to me ain't basketball.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
Football made a great transition from the knickers to sweat type pants.
Ah...they are NOT "sweat type pants."

They're black slacks. Other than a white stripe outside of each leg, belt loops, and being a little warmer, they're much different than basketball slacks. In fact, they are 95% polyester.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 25, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had a team pull it out with 2 minutes left in the first and second quarter Thursday night. So we stood around for probably 3:30 of the game watching the clock run down.
It takes TWO teams to play that game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith