The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Some leagues do have specific timing rules for pre-game. Here now we are doing 15-minute pre-game instead of 20.

Initially I was going to say 5 minute pre-game.

For the halftime breakdown, I've seen it too many times where a team stays in the locker room till the minute/less than minute mark where they have no chance to warm-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Well, half-time is already 10 minutes; the coach just gets to make the decision on how to break it down.

As for pre-game warm-ups, there's no rule I'm aware of that even deals with its timing. Why do you feel the need to regulate those things? Or are you making jokes again?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
1) Ok how about instead of 20 minute warm-ups, make the warm-up period 10 minutes (9 minutes to warm-up with the 1 minute to huddle)? With during halftime, the teams getting 5 minutes to talk (in locker room) & 4 minutes to warm-up (With the 1 minute still to huddle).

2) Anytime exercise is involved a person is supposed to do warm-ups to help the body prepare. I actually do some finger stretching & other arm movements beforehand.
1) What 20 minute warm-up? The warm-up period is whatever the coach wants it to be in his opinion to adequately prepare his team for the game. Sometimes his choices might be limited by a previous game that was played though. If there was no previous game, a team could warm-up for 14 hours if they wanted to. All we referees have to worry about is what happens during our jurisdiction, not during the warm-up. And our jurisdiction is when we come out on the floor, with the coda that it should be at least 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

2) Me too, but it's to prepare for those post-game brownpop curls. Gotta stay in shape.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Some leagues do have specific timing rules for pre-game. Here now we are doing 15-minute pre-game instead of 20.

Initially I was going to say 5 minute pre-game.

For the halftime breakdown, I've seen it too many times where a team stays in the locker room till the minute/less than minute mark where they have no chance to warm-up.
Again, why would you want the NFHS to regulate this?

As for the half-time breakdown, same question. Why do you want to tell a coach how to use his 10 minutes?

Let it go, it ain't broke.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Why is game management told to notify the officials 3 minutes before the end of halftime?

To regulate the time used during halftime would allow both teams equal time to warm-up.

Here's another rule I'd like to see change: Only one scorebook allowed at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Again, why would you want the NFHS to regulate this?

As for the half-time breakdown, same question. Why do you want to tell a coach how to use his 10 minutes?

Let it go, it ain't broke.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why is game management told to notify the officials 3 minutes before the end of halftime?

To regulate the time used during halftime would allow both teams equal time to warm-up.

Here's another rule I'd like to see change: Only one scorebook allowed at the table.
No, you're told to notify them so they know how much time is left. You're not regulating how they use it in any way.

Why in the world would you want to remove the visitors' book from the table?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Why? People make mistakes, believe it or not. And believe it or not, that even includes scorekeepers. And I hate to say it , but I have heard tales of home scorekeepers actually doing sumthin' to their scorebook to help out the home team.

Having a second book there is a check and balance, and an aid to accurate and fair scorekeeping.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And believe it or not, that even includes scorekeepers.
Now you're just talking crazy.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We are required in WI to be on the court when the clock starts (with 20 minutes on it). That's the time set after the JV game completes and we are expected to be on the floor for all of it.

In a boys game, we have to watch for dunking. Fine, I'll buy that, although I don't necessarily think the officials need to enforce this. Every team is at home for 50% of the games and no coach/AD wants their equipment damaged. This could be managed by game management easily enough. We don't watch for dunking the other 23 hours, 40 minutes of the day.

In a girls game, we should come out at 15, have the captains meeting at 12, check the books at 10, and then head back in for some stretching until 2 minutes on the clock. Nope, instead we have to stand out there for the entire 20 minutes.

That's what I'd change, at least where I live.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Are they going to raise our game fees 12.5%?
Don't you mean 6.25%? There would be two minutes gone that now exists between the 1st & 2nd qtr and the 3rd & 4th qtr.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Almost forgot this one...Delay of Game warning for tying shoe[s] on FT lane line as shooter is prepared to receive ball from administering official .
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 06:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Don't you mean 6.25%? There would be two minutes gone that now exists between the 1st & 2nd qtr and the 3rd & 4th qtr.
Nope, those aren't working times. Just a simple 36:32 calculation for me. I'm willing to bet we'd get paid exactly the same and we'd be told to pound sand.

I don't get why everyone wants to add playing time. Just do 2 16-minute halves and give each team an extra 30 second timeout. Easy enough.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I am not the fashion police.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 06:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolf2 View Post
I agree. I am not the fashion police.
Yes, we are. We may not desire to be, but that is immaterial.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Allow a team to "decline" any penalty -- usually a free throw, but could be shots and the ball -- for a throw in at the place of their choosing. OK, leave out the choosing part and stay at nearest spot, if you like.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 08:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Allow a team to "decline" any penalty -- usually a free throw, but could be shots and the ball -- for a throw in at the place of their choosing. OK, leave out the choosing part and stay at nearest spot, if you like.
I hope this isn't leading to a coach throwing a red flag...