Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 04:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's semantics.

Perhaps we should rename the endline since everyone calls it the "baseline." Or we could add an "over the back" foul.
With the Boris Karloff mechanic?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 04:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
With the Boris Karloff mechanic?
Also known as the "creeping death" foul.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 04:31pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Perhaps we should rename the endline since everyone calls it the "baseline." Or we could add an "over the back" foul.
I saw that Karloff mechanic more than once at the UMaine/Boston U. game yesterday. To say such mechanics are discouraged by our organization would be an understatement. (When in Rome, I guess.)

Anyway, if you really want to get down to linguistics, Snaq, there are reasons why those two examples wouldn't work. "Umpire" is more of a semantics thing, I suppose, but it's more than about simply making a change to reflect common usage. That common usage would have to be literally accurate, as well.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 05:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I saw that Karloff mechanic more than once at the UMaine/Boston U. game yesterday. To say such mechanics are discouraged by our organization would be an understatement. (When in Rome, I guess.)

Anyway, if you really want to get down to linguistics, Snaq, there are reasons why those two examples wouldn't work. "Umpire" is more of a semantics thing, I suppose, but it's more than about simply making a change to reflect common usage. That common usage would have to be literally accurate, as well.
I thought your whole reason was because we're never called "umpire." (common usage)

The accuracy of the terms is completely arbitrary and determined by the rule book. Heck, Arbiter uses R1, R2, and R3; but guys in my association automatically adjust to R, U1, and U2, during pregame. "Who's the R again?"

"Assistant Referee" has connotations to it that are negative, IMO. "Head referee" denotes more authority than really exists (again, IMO).

IOW, it ain't broke.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 10:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
I thought your whole reason was because we're never called "umpire." (common usage)

The accuracy of the terms is completely arbitrary and determined by the rule book. Heck, Arbiter uses R1, R2, and R3; but guys in my association automatically adjust to R, U1, and U2, during pregame. "Who's the R again?"

"Assistant Referee" has connotations to it that are negative, IMO. "Head referee" denotes more authority than really exists (again, IMO).

IOW, it ain't broke.
Scorebooks also have referee/umpire designations. Our Arbiter has R, U1 & U2 designations. My prior one in VT did as well. The fans, players and coaches don't know the rules anyway, so why make a change here?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 11:15pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Not whole. As you pointed out, it can't be change for change's sake. The change has to make verbal sense (whereas "baseline" and "over the back" have proven flaws).

I don't see anything negative about "A.R.," as it's used in soccer, but it's true that there's not a lot of authority involved for a "head" referee in basketball. For some reason, it doesn't stop us from asking, colloqually, "who's the boss tonight?"

For me, it just doesn't make sense that we're continuing to use a term that is rarely used or understood outside our circle, particularly if there's a clearer alternative.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 11:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Not whole. As you pointed out, it can't be change for change's sake. The change has to make verbal sense (whereas "baseline" and "over the back" have proven flaws).

I don't see anything negative about "A.R.," as it's used in soccer, but it's true that there's not a lot of authority involved for a "head" referee in basketball. For some reason, it doesn't stop us from asking, colloqually, "who's the boss tonight?"

For me, it just doesn't make sense that we're continuing to use a term that is rarely used or understood outside our circle, particularly if there's a clearer alternative.
You could say that about rules 1-10 as well.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not at all. When someone says, "hey ref!" or refer to "the refs," at least they would be correct.
Ref is short for referee. The other officials would have to be called assistant refs to be correct.

Quote:
Heck, Arbiter uses R1, R2, and R3
The arbiter uses whatever the administrator wants it is use.

Quote:
So I guess all the people who never knew that there was a referee and an umpire are now going to know that there is a referee and an assistant referee? Seems like if they didn't know what the officials were called before they aren't going to magically just figure it out now.

Actually it is commonly understood that the lead official is called the referee and the others are called something else as it is common to many sports such as: Basketball, football, rugby, soccer, hockey, sumo wrestling...
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There'd be a helluva mess if we had 5 referees on a football field.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's terrible working on college courts with 2 lines.
I don't mind the two lines.

It's the extra ten feet I hate!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

There's nothing incorrect about the current usage. And what's the proven flaw in "baseline" if we change it in the rule book. "Baseline" is an almost exact analogy to the change your proposing. A semantic change based on popular usage; nothing more.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:15am
Back from the DL

Quote:
And what's the proven flaw in "baseline" if we change it in the rule book. [sic]
As I was told, you can't have a baseline, if there aren't any bases.

FWIW, the NBA rule book uses both "baseline" and "endline." I just did a quick online search, and I only saw "endline" in FIBA, NCAA, and of course, NFHS.

Last edited by bainsey; Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 10:21am.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's nothing inherently wrong with either term; it's just that one is a rule term for an OOB line and one is a rule term for something else.

And what's with "sic," are you commenting on my use of a sentence fragment rather than a complete sentence?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:35am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with either term; it's just that one is a rule term for an OOB line and one is a rule term for something else.

And what's with "sic," are you commenting on my use of a sentence fragment rather than a complete sentence?
Jeopardy! Please answer in the form of a question.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:46am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Jeopardy! Please answer in the form of a question.
LOL Yeah, that was it. (Question, not a fragment.) The journalist in me never dies. I spend four years getting a degree in journalism, and what do I do with it now? I type "[sic]" on a stinkin' online forum.