Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Too much nog.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Thanks RookieDude for the idea.

All personnel that work the table must be able to do a successful ball check before being allowed to work table.
No, no, I promised to be good.....as difficult as it may be, I'm going to resist the temptation.........
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

LMAO Go ahead & say it

Kind of what I'm suggesting is that no one should be allowed to do table operations unless they have an understanding of the rules via the rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
No, no, I promised to be good.....as difficult as it may be, I'm going to resist the temptation.........
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LMAO Go ahead & say it

Kind of what I'm suggesting is that no one should be allowed to do table operations unless they have an understanding of the rules via the rule book.
Stop it, please.

Table personnel need to know how to do their jobs, and know what is not included in their jobs.

As has been mentioned in one thread or another -- you can teach 95% of that in about 5 minutes.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Ok, add the NCAA-M 3-point line to NFHS for boys' basketball.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

However not everyone that does table gets training in what all their duties/responsibilities are.

Repeatedly I've had to remind those doing scorebook that they are to remain neutral, so not always is it known that a person working table must be neutral or that cheering is not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stop it, please.

Table personnel need to know how to do their jobs, and know what is not included in their jobs.

As has been mentioned in one thread or another -- you can teach 95% of that in about 5 minutes.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, add the NCAA-M 3-point line to NFHS for boys' basketball.
Absolutely not.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 05:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Absolutely not.
It's terrible working on college courts with 2 lines. I see no reason to move the lines in HS, same as you. Frankly, HS kids don't shoot all that well as it is.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 12:23pm
Back from the DL

Getting back to the original thread idea...

Could anyone tell me where the term "umpire" came from as it relates to a basketball official? Aside from your partner, when's the last time someone at a basketball game called you an "ump?"

I might suggest getting rid of the term "umpire" in basketball, going with "assistant referee" (or "A.R."), or calling the one in charge the "head referee." Once the ball is tossed, it's not like there's a huge disparity of duties or positioning (like referees and umpires in football).
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 12:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Could anyone tell me where the term "umpire" came from as it relates to a basketball official?
Ask Dr. Naismith.

USA Basketball: Naismith's Original 13 Rules

I realize the duties have changed quite a bit since the Original 13 rules but I believe the designations are a nod to tradition more than anything else.

Assistant Referee doesn't make sense because for the most part, all of the officials have the same duties.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

A couple leads...

Original Rules:
10. The umpire shall be the judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify people according to Rule 5.
11. The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the baskets, with any other duties that are usually performed by a scorekeeper.

There's also an article on the history of officiating in the Winter 2010 NFHS Official's Quarterly.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Getting back to the original thread idea...

Could anyone tell me where the term "umpire" came from as it relates to a basketball official? Aside from your partner, when's the last time someone at a basketball game called you an "ump?"

I might suggest getting rid of the term "umpire" in basketball, going with "assistant referee" (or "A.R."), or calling the one in charge the "head referee." Once the ball is tossed, it's not like there's a huge disparity of duties or positioning (like referees and umpires in football).
And then you will say "when was the last time someone called you an assistant referee?"
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 03:49pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
And then you will say "when was the last time someone called you an assistant referee?"
Not at all. When someone says, "hey ref!" or refer to "the refs," at least they would be correct.

Anyway, nice catch, Welpe. Obviously, I overlooked the original 13, but when you consider that referees and umpires had separate duties -- far different from today -- you wonder if the term "umpire" has long outlasted its use.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 03:52pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I think there is an abbreviation which is commonly used.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not at all. When someone says, "hey ref!" or refer to "the refs," at least they would be correct.

Anyway, nice catch, Welpe. Obviously, I overlooked the original 13, but when you consider that referees and umpires had separate duties -- far different from today -- you wonder if the term "umpire" has long outlasted its use.
It's semantics.

Perhaps we should rename the endline since everyone calls it the "baseline." Or we could add an "over the back" foul.