The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 08:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I agree, but there are limits. I've seen a player literally reach out and grab his opponent's jersey with 2 fingers, then look at me expectantly. That's intentional or nothing, usually nothing.
If it's the ball carrier, I'm grabbing the foul and going to the other end to shoot the free throws. I'm not picky when it comes to teams trying to foul a player with the ball at the end of the game.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 08:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It is part of the game. The NFHS has said so. If the players foul in the right way, whether they intend to foul or not, it doesn't matter.

An intentional foul should pretty much call itself and the official should be prepared to step up and make the call when it happens.
Quote:
If it's the ball carrier, I'm grabbing the foul and going to the other end to shoot the free throws. I'm not picky when it comes to teams trying to foul a player with the ball at the end of the game.
Grabbing the shirt in the manner described above (no exaggeration, no kidding)
is not the right way, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Pulling the jersey is a no brainer - INT foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
...with the clock stopped.
And? The clock is always stopped when we shoot FTs, not just at the end of the game. They're willing to commit a foul and allow the opponent an opportunity to score in exchange for an opportunity to stop the clock.
It's a strategy, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess we shouldn't recognize a excessive timeout in such a situation. After all, it's a technical foul and therefore, "illegal."

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Dec 26, 2010 at 09:17pm.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Bingo. If a team WANTS a foul, GIVE them the foul. I've seen official pass, pass, pass, and then the defense says, "That's not a foul? HERE'S a foul." And then all hell breaks loose.
While I am more inclined to call a foul on contact that is right along the line between incidental and illegal, I'm not going to reward sloppy taps with foul calls either if there's no advantage.

Particularly if the offense is trying to avoid being fouled.

OTOH, if the offense is content to allow the foul, I'm likely to call first contact.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I guess we shouldn't recognize a excessive timeout in such a situation. After all, it's a technical foul and therefore, "illegal."
That's not a very strong analogy, IMO, Ref.

For me, it comes down to advantageous contact. If the contact is trifling, and the offense can work through it (i.e. hand checking an opponent that's already passed you), then I believe you're rewarding the defense by stopping the clock, even if they're going to the line. If the defense is making an obvious play for the ball, then I believe the foul to be "earned." Intentional fouls are exactly as others have described.

Simply put, I don't believe in blowing the whistle just because the defense wants you to. I say, pursue the ball, and earn the foul. If contact becomes excessive, then penalize accordingly by crossing those arms.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not a very strong analogy, IMO, Ref.
No, actually your original idea and this idea are very poor.

Quote:
For me, it comes down to advantageous contact. If the contact is trifling, and the offense can work through it (i.e. hand checking an opponent that's already passed you), then I believe you're rewarding the defense by stopping the clock, even if they're going to the line. If the defense is making an obvious play for the ball, then I believe the foul to be "earned." Intentional fouls are exactly as others have described.

Simply put, I don't believe in blowing the whistle just because the defense wants you to. I say, pursue the ball, and earn the foul. If contact becomes excessive, then penalize accordingly by crossing those arms.
So you're telling me the only time you ever call a foul is when the defender is going for the ball?

The FED does not require that the ball be played in order to have a foul or not have an intentional foul. Fouls are also committed because the defender is playing the PLAYER.

Call the first foul and then you won't have "excessive contact. Hopefully, as you gain experience, you'll come to understand this better. If you're smart, you will.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Dec 26, 2010 at 09:51pm.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:46pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Pulling the jersey is a no brainer - INT foul.
Yup. Called one in the season opener last year. The coach asked why & I told him. The coach said he accidentally got his hand caught. I am sure my eyes rolled a 360 on that one, but I'm not sure.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:

So you're telling me the only time you ever call a foul is when the defender is going for the ball?

Call the first foul and then you won't have "excessive contact. Hopefully, as you gain experience, you'll come to understand this better. If you're smart, you will.
And if it is intentional, there will be no advantage. It does not have to be excessive to be intentional. Especially if the lead is around 5 or 6 points, players sometimes get to the point of realizing they will not win and get in a hard foul. Getting that crap early gets you to the point where the offensive team holds the ball on his hip for the final 10 seconds much sooner.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 09:56pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
How so? I'd like some facts behind your opinion, sir.

Quote:
Of course not.

I understand your preventive officiating point of view, and I respect your experience, but I have never cared for the so-called "strategy" of fouling to stop the clock, and I believe if you're going to foul, at least you can try to steal the ball. (Such attempted steals are very seldom excessive.) Otherwise, I don't believe you deserve the advantage of a stopped clock, and as always, we need to be concerned about advantage/disadvantage.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 10:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
How so? I'd like some facts behind your opinion, sir.

Of course not.

I understand your preventive officiating point of view, and I respect your experience, but I have never cared for the so-called "strategy" of fouling to stop the clock, and I believe if you're going to foul, at least you can try to steal the ball. (Such attempted steals are very seldom excessive.) Otherwise, I don't believe you deserve the advantage of a stopped clock, and as always, we need to be concerned about advantage/disadvantage.
I don't like the strategy of a coach pressing when he is ahead 40 points in the 4th quarter. But if it is within the rules I cannot stop him or her from continuing. And what if the offensive team has good FT shooters? Or if a defender is spending his fifth foul and he is the best ball handler for them? Just because you do not LIKE something, doesn't mean you ignore it if it is illegal [a foul] or step in and stop something [a press] that you do NOT like.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 10:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
1. This shouldn't matter. We're not supposed to insert our own philosophies into the game. I don't like coaches pressing at the end of the game with a big lead, but I'm not so presumptuous to assume I can make calls against the rules to promote my philosophy. If the defense creates an advantage with their contact, call the damned foul. Whether you believe they deserve the advantage or not is irrelevant; the freaking NFHS rules committee has stated that this strategy is part of the game.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 10:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. This shouldn't matter. We're not supposed to insert our own philosophies into the game. I don't like coaches pressing at the end of the game with a big lead, but I'm not so presumptuous to assume I can make calls against the rules to promote my philosophy. If the defense creates an advantage with their contact, call the damned foul. Whether you believe they deserve the advantage or not is irrelevant; the freaking NFHS rules committee has stated that this strategy is part of the game.
Deja vu, man.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 10:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Deja vu, man.
Hah! The kids are playing WII and it took me a bit longer to write that.
Old Sun Dec 26, 2010, 10:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Hah! The kids are playing WII and it took me a bit longer to write that.
All I know is the "Be late. Be needed. Be right." philosophy might apply in some of those late game situations...