The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Resumption Of Play, Delay Of Game ???

I was watching the second game of a holiday tournament varsity doubleheader today. Near the end of the halftime intermission only one team is on the court. The other team is nowhere to be seen. Umpire, a buddy of mine, says to me, "I guess that we'll have to put the ball down on the floor to start the second half". I told him that I didn't think that we could do that at the start of the second half if one of the teams wasn't in the gymnasium.

Now that I'm home, I've been trying to read through my rulebook, and casebook, to find out if I was right. I can't find a rule, or an interpretation, that tells us not to put the ball on the floor when one of the teams isn't in the gymnasium. Did I dream up this interpretation, or am I not doing a good job of finding it in the rulebook, or casebook?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

This is a situation that you should not allow to happen. U1 is responsible for the home team, U2 for the visitors......Preventive officiating deems that the responsible official go to the locker room or send game management to get them prior to the half ending. If you have done all you can, resumption of play and a technical foul for delay is warranted.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Try 7-5-1. I am also thinking there is a 1 minute time limit but can't think of it off the top of my head. I will edit if/when I find it.(10-5-1a)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
This is a situation that you should not allow to happen. U1 is responsible for the home team, U2 for the visitors......Preventive officiating deems that the responsible official go to the locker room or send game management to get them prior to the half ending. If you have done all you can, resumption of play and a technical foul for delay is warranted.

In Connecticut there is only a U, right Billy, ?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Try 7-5-1. I am also thinking there is a 1 minute time limit but can't think of it off the top of my head. I will edit if/when I find it.(10-5-1a)
Very close. 10-1-5a.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was watching the second game of a holiday tournament varsity doubleheader today. Near the end of the halftime intermission only one team is on the court. The other team is nowhere to be seen. Umpire, a buddy of mine, says to me, "I guess that we'll have to put the ball down on the floor to start the second half". I told him that I didn't think that we could do that at the start of the second half if one of the teams wasn't in the gymnasium.

Now that I'm home, I've been trying to read through my rulebook, and casebook, to find out if I was right. I can't find a rule, or an interpretation, that tells us not to put the ball on the floor when one of the teams isn't in the gymnasium. Did I dream up this interpretation, or am I not doing a good job of finding it in the rulebook, or casebook?
You're correct. Resuming play is only used when both teams are on the floor. If one team is not on the floor when the intermission ends, it's a technical foul.

Quote:
The referee is responsible for making sure the teams are notified at the 3 minute mark. That's where our responsibilities end. It's the coach's responsibility to have his team back on the floor. I may tell the scorer that he/she may want to go find their team but I'm not sending my U1 or U2 to go to a locker room to get a team. We're not babysitters.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

The referee is responsible for making sure the teams are notified at the 3 minute mark. That's where our responsibilities end. It's the coach's responsibility to have his team back on the floor. I may tell the scorer that he/she may want to go find their team but I'm not sending my U1 or U2 to go to a locker room to get a team. We're not babysitters.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, but I am going to do all I can to avoid beginning the game or 2nd half with a technical foul. It won't get any prettier after that.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Not worried about pretty. The coach has no one to blame but himself if this happens. Halftime is 10 minutes everywhere I've ever been. It's not that difficult to keep track of. Havng said that, I've never gone to or sent anyone to get a team and I've yet to ever to start the 2nd half with a T.

Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

I have had to send someone for one team on a couple of occasions, but that is the name of the game...Take action with 2:00 on the clock and all is well.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 01:39am
#thereferee99

Saw a playoff game last year.

Officials came back on to the floor with maybe 30 seconds left on the clock, when Team B wasn't there at 0:00, called a Technical foul. No 1 minute on the clock. No getting the timer to initiate an "SOS" via horn soundings. I was not impressed. Would have felt they were in a stronger position if the crew was back on the floor earlier working to get the team back.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Resuming play is not used following halftime. Resuming play is when both teams are present and have been present but not responding to the signals to resume play.

After halftime, the team has 1 full minute after halftime expires before the T is charged. Until that time has elapsed, nothing is done.

See 10-1-5:
Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:
a. When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half.

b. Delay the game by preventing the ball.....See 7-5-1....for the resumption of play procudure to use.....The procedure is used prior to charging a technical foul in these specific situations

The specific situations referred to in part "b" of this rule only apply on timeouts, the intermission between the 1st and 2nd quarters, and the intermissions between the 3rd and 4th quarters. Not the halftime intermissions. Part "a" covers the return from halftime. If part b were to apply after halftime, part "a" wouldn't need to exist and couldn't be reached.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Ménage à Trois In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
In Connecticut there is only a U, right Billy.
We do have U2 here in the Constitution State. I just bought one of their CD's a few weeks ago.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2010 at 11:23am.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

10-1-5 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
10-1-5a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
10-1-5.
Thanks guys. That's the citation that I was looking for.

Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water-Colored Memories Of The Way We Were ...

Quote:
I hear you, but I am going to do all I can to avoid beginning the game or 2nd half with a technical foul.
Agree. Start the second half with a jump ball the way God, and Dr. Naismith, intended it to be. Wait a minute. Sorry. I was having another flashback to the seventies.

Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have had to send someone for one team on a couple of occasions, but that is the name of the game...Take action with 2:00 on the clock and all is well.
Actually, the rules require you to take action at the 3:00 mark.

After that, the ball's in the coach's corner. Just do your job and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Dec 19, 2010 at 11:38am.