The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I need Help on a Play.

Situation: A1 shoots at her basket, While the ball is in the air A2 shoves B1 in the back trying to get rebounding position and I call the foul. The shoot goes in the basket. Is the basket waved off?
Federation rules. Also, rule citation, please.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Situation: A1 shoots at her basket, While the ball is in the air A2 shoves B1 in the back trying to get rebounding position and I call the foul. The shoot goes in the basket. Is the basket waved off?
Hint:Not TC foul. Bonus?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

There were only 4 team fouls by A at the time. So no free throws.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Continuous Motion ...

Quote:
In this case, because the ball was in the air, count the hoop. Don't confuse this with the ball still being in the hand of A1 in the act of shooting, in which case the foul, and whistle, would make the ball dead and the basket wouldn't count.

And also, don't confuse this where the foul is by the Team B, in which case the basket would count if it was in the air, and it would also count if it were in the hand of A1 in the act of shooting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. The ball becomes dead immediately on a player or team control foul...But, team control ends when the ball is in flight on a try.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:58pm
Administrator

Quote:

Scooby:

Both NFHS and NCAA: Unless A2 contact was an Intentional Foul (IF) or a Flagrant Foul (FF), A2's PF is a Common Foul (CF). A2's CF was committed when neither team had control of the ball. If Team B is in the bonus then play will resume with B1 being awarded FT's with the ball remaining in play after the last FT. If Team B is NOT in the bonus then Team B is awarded a throw-in anywhere along the endline in Team B's backcourt; this throw-in is no different than anyother throw-in after a goal has been scored or awarded.

Check out Rule 4 (Definitions) in both the NFHS and NCAA rules books. Pay attention to the definitions for CF, IF, FF, and Team Foul, also the definitons for when a try and act of shooting starts and ends, and Continuous Motion.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. But let me add something else. MTD, Jr., and I officiated a boys' H.S. JV game this past Thursday night and we had a similar play, only it was B2 pushing A2 completely out-of-bounds during A1's FG attempt. I was informed by Team B's HC that B2's actions were not a foul. I asked him how so, and he told me that it was 'boxing out' and was legal. So I asked B-HC if he was telling that it was legal for B2 to push A2 off of a spot that he had legally acquired and therefore entitled to, and he told me, yes, that B2 could A2 off his spot so B2 could occupy it during rebounding situation.

The things you can learn when you listen to Head Coaches, and to think I have been calling this incorrectly for 40 years now.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Dec 19, 2010 at 12:34pm. Reason: Corrected grammer.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Scooby, the only foul that causes a shot in flight to become dead is a player control foul. Read rule 6-7.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saw the JV guys ahead of me not count the bucket three times on this kind of play last Friday night. Plus a number of shooting fouls that they declared "on the floor!" Made for a low scoring game!