Thread: "Play the miss"
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A guy I worked with a few nights ago would say this on free throw attempts whenever the attempt could be the final one. I was taught not to say that, because it is a negative comment against the shooter. Do you guys agree?

Also, about 10 years ago, a partner told me during a game that saying, "Wait 'till it hits the rim", while very common and not negative, actually is somewhat inaccurate. Technically, (no pun intended) if the FT attempt hits the backboard first, the players on the lane can go in at that time. I've seen plenty of FTs that hit the backboard, don't hit the rim but go in the basket.

Oh yeah, the guy the other night told me he worked with a guy who said, "Wait 'till it hits that orange-y thingie".

Also oh yeah, I always just announce the number of shots without even saying "shot" or "shots", just the number. Exception - little guy or girl games. I always tell them to "Wait 'till it hits something". I guess that means they can go in if the shooter hits the wall.

I only say the number "1" "2" or "3." That's it.

Only exception is during summer/AAU season when rules may be different. Then near the beginning of the game I may remind them whether or not it's on the "hit" or on the "release."