The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:02pm
I miss being on the floor

Did I do this right?

NFHS Rules.

I have a held ball, with the arrow pointing towards Team A. After the whistle for the held ball, and before the AP throw-in, B1 pushes A1. I call the tech for intentional contact during a dead ball.

As I go to report what happened, the table guy switches the arrow, so now the arrow is toward B. I told him to switch it back to A. Since the technical foul awards possession to Team A, we can't complete the AP throw in, therefore the arrow should stay with Team A.

We administered the Tech and on we went.

Did I interpret and administer the situation properly? My partner (a supposed 10-year-vet looked about as confused as could possibly be). First time I've had a situation like this occur.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Fiveum Member

You are correct, sir. And, this is a good example of why you sometimes need to tell the score table not to switch the arrow at the time you make the jump ball call, but to wait until the throw in is completed legally.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Yes you did...since the AP throw-in never ended, the arrow should stay the same direction.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Also, keep in mind that eventhough you administered it correctly, maybe the contact did not necessarily warrant a tech. We weren't there, we don't know. Maybe a stern "knock it off" in your best Judge Judy voice would have done the trick
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Also, keep in mind that eventhough you administered it correctly, maybe the contact did not necessarily warrant a tech. We weren't there, we don't know. Maybe a stern "knock it off" in your best Judge Judy voice would have done the trick
Maybe I'll pack a gavel and a white curly wig for my next game.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ref View Post
also, keep in mind that eventhough you administered it correctly, maybe the contact did not necessarily warrant a tech. We weren't there, we don't know. Maybe a stern "knock it off" in your best judge judy voice would have done the trick
+1
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why are we questioning his judgement just because he called a T? There was no indication in his post that it was undeserved.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why are we questioning his judgement just because he called a T? There was no indication in his post that it was undeserved.
Because some officials seem to (wrongly) think that technical fouls should be avoided at all costs.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 02:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
NFHS Rules.

I have a held ball, with the arrow pointing towards Team A. After the whistle for the held ball, and before the AP throw-in, B1 pushes A1. I call the tech for intentional contact during a dead ball.

As I go to report what happened, the table guy switches the arrow, so now the arrow is toward B. I told him to switch it back to A. Since the technical foul awards possession to Team A, we can't complete the AP throw in, therefore the arrow should stay with Team A.

We administered the Tech and on we went.

Did I interpret and administer the situation properly? My partner (a supposed 10-year-vet looked about as confused as could possibly be). First time I've had a situation like this occur.
Correct.

Switch then arrow when:
  • The ball is legally touched inbounds, or
  • The throwing-in team violates on the throw-in
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not questioning his judgement. Since he said it was the 1st time he had this happen to him, it was a suggestion of an alternate resolution to the situation if it happened again.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 02:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron rust View Post
why are we questioning his judgement just because he called a t? There was no indication in his post that it was undeserved.

+1
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
+2

It's called second-guessing. When you have contact by a defender before you hand the ball to the thrower, it's kinda hard to criticize somebody for not calling it incidental contact unless you had actually seen the play.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 03:14pm

Quote:
I was not questioning his judgement. Since he said it was the 1st time he had this happen to him, it was a suggestion of an alternate resolution to the situation if it happened again.
Definitely not my first technical foul. It was the first time I'd had to give a technical immediately after a held ball.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he got it right this time, why does he need an "alternate resolution" next time? If you say he didn't get it right, aren't you second guessing? Can't have it both ways.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Because some officials seem to (wrongly) think that technical fouls should be avoided at all costs.
Why would you throw a "T" in this scenario? It's not like the player wrestled the official to the floor or anything!!