The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

HS game:

I at the C position. White 23 drives the lane in my PCA. I am referring the defense. Blue 11 has a legal guarding position and gets plowed over. I blow my whistle and look across the key and the 'L' has a whistle. I make eye contact with him and wait. The game is at stand still. I waited about a second (so it seems). I call the charge. White coach is upset, yada yada yada.

At half time, as soon as we get in the locker room, that same official gets in my face telling me that I was out of position, it was his primary, and I didn't even look at him. I said I waited to see what you had. He said that he had a foul on the arm. I told him that blue 11 had legal guarding position. AT that time he calls me a liar.

What would you do now?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him View Post
HS game:

I at the C position. White 23 drives the lane in my PCA. I am referring the defense. Blue 11 has a legal guarding position and gets plowed over. I blow my whistle and look across the key and the 'L' has a whistle. I make eye contact with him and wait. The game is at stand still. I waited about a second (so it seems). I call the charge. White coach is upset, yada yada yada.

At half time, as soon as we get in the locker room, that same official gets in my face telling me that I was out of position, it was his primary, and I didn't even look at him. I said I waited to see what you had. He said that he had a foul on the arm. I told him that blue 11 had legal guarding position. AT that time he calls me a liar.

What would you do now?
The biggest issue is that your partner called you a liar.

I would review PCAs with the crew and double whistles.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Exactly!!! That was the issue!!! Earlier in the game I had two double whistles with the other official in the game (3 man). No issue with him. This official that called me a liar caused a lot of tension in the locker room.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HS game:

What would you do now?
Work a two man crew since I would lay him out if he got in my face

Just joking. Actually, I would ask him to calm down and let's talk about this like professionals. If he refused to do so, I would ignore him and request not to be assigned with him in the future.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Work a two man crew since I would lay him out if he got in my face

Just joking. Actually, I would ask him to calm down and let's talk about this like professionals. If he refused to do so, I would ignore him and request not to be assigned with him in the future.
I go with Robby. Lay him out, hide him in the locker room some where. And go out there and work a 2 man. If anyone asks, he's battling a stomach bug and is in the locker room recovering.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

there are a couple of issues here, IMHO:

1) the C should not have a whistle on block/charge plays going to the basket. these plays should be called by the Lead...because the Lead has the best view of where the defender came from, when he got there, and if he established LGP (remember, the defender that takes the charge is not the primary-on-ball-defender...it's the defender coming over from the help-side...the Lead is the only official with a good view on this play).

When C blows the whistle, your situation is what typicalls happens: both C and L have a whistle and both stand there waiting for the other to take the call. Usually one of two things happens: you have a blarge (which we'd like to avoid - but if it happens, so what - just administer it by rule and move on) or each official looks like they don't know what to call (when really they each know what to call there just not sure who should call it). In either scenario - it's not the best outcome...

2) the half-time comments. simly turn to your 3rd partner and say: "well, looks like you and I will have to work hard in the second half, because anyone who can't tell when someone is looking at him and uses the "liar, liar, pants on fire" defense is a terrible official and shouldn't be working this game"....

that otta take care of the situation!
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post

1) the C should not have a whistle on block/charge plays going to the basket. these plays should be called by the Lead...because the Lead has the best view of where the defender came from, when he got there, and if he established LGP (remember, the defender that takes the charge is not the primary-on-ball-defender...it's the defender coming over from the help-side...the Lead is the only official with a good view on this play).
Crews that I work with generally give this play to the C. The protocol is that if a shooter starts in your PCA, you take them all the way in. This type of play normally ends across the paint from the lead, techinically out of his/her area. It's ok to have a double whistle in this scenario, but from my understanding, it's the C's call. YMMV.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

If he caught the ball around the elbow area of your primary ("C") and drove to the lane you were right by blowing the whistle. Lead should have a slow whistle if anything, knowing it came from your primary.

I don't agree with jeffpea

Last edited by hawkeyegb; Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 11:07am.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
Crews that I work with generally give this play to the C. The protocol is that if a shooter starts in your PCA, you take them all the way in. This type of play normally ends across the paint from the lead, techinically out of his/her area. It's ok to have a double whistle in this scenario, but from my understanding, it's the C's call. YMMV.
Glad you contributed that comment as that is the protocol in the area where I work.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Glad you contributed that comment as that is the protocol in the area where I work.
Where I come from...we pre-game this to be the L's call IF it is a secondary defender in the L's primary.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyegb View Post
If he caught the ball around the elbow area of your primary ("C") and drove to the lane you were right by blowing the whistle. Lead should have a slow whistle if anything, knowing it came from your primary.

I don't agree with jeffpea
I second this
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post

When C blows the whistle, your situation is what typicalls happens: both C and L have a whistle and both stand there waiting for the other to take the call. Usually one of two things happens: you have a blarge (which we'd like to avoid - but if it happens, so what - just administer it by rule and move on) or each official looks like they don't know what to call (when really they each know what to call there just not sure who should call it). In either scenario - it's not the best outcome...

2) the half-time comments. simly turn to your 3rd partner and say: "well, looks like you and I will have to work hard in the second half, because anyone who can't tell when someone is looking at him and uses the "liar, liar, pants on fire" defense is a terrible official and shouldn't be working this game"....

that otta take care of the situation!
Regarding your first point....Maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario, but if there was a crash between the dribbler and the primary defender, and that crash happened in C's primary, lead has no business getting it. That can only lead to trouble. If the crash was in the paint and/or it was between the ball handler and a secondary defender, then lead should have first crack. C should have a whistle and withhold a signal.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
he calls me a liar. What would you do now?
Simple - call my buddy Guido. Nuff said.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Where I come from...we pre-game this to be the L's call IF it is a secondary defender in the L's primary.
Even if it is coming from C's primary and L is across the paint?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Even if it is coming from C's primary and L is across the paint?
The alternative would be...C takes first crack at contact involving both primary and secondary defenders? The C has to see two whole plays? At the same time? Based on your pseudonym, I'll assume that you are capable of doing that consistently.

But to this earth-bound mortal it makes more sense that while the C is focused on the primary defender, watching that whole play, the L picks up any secondary defender and can see that whole play. Of course, it would be better if he pinched the paint on this.