The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Check your balls

Well, have you ever had the feeling before a game something wasn't quite right? Have you ever started a game with the wrong size ball?

Nope, not me. Yet.

But, it does happen, even to some of the best in the country. Illinois and Oakland played for 7 minutes before the officials discovered they were playing with a women's ball. Coach Weber said in the post-game that some of his players had come up to him right away and said something seemed wrong, but he told them to just shut up and shoot better. Of course, the Oakland coach said he wanted to continue playing with it, since his team was leading at the time.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Oh ok, I thought the other balls check...
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

You would think that the official tossing the jump ball would notice. I can instantly tell if the wrong size ball is being used whenever I get my practice tosses in before the game. And even when I'm not the tossing official, during any sort of throw-in, if I can palm the ball easier or bounce pass the ball with a little bit more on it, that usually gets my attention.

Funny that the winning coach wanted to continue with the women's ball!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Something I do every game .... now. Last year JUCO womens, early Saturday afternoon game. Played for about 12 minutes before one of us decided to look at the ball. Players were all saying how they thought something wasn't quite right.

Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking This is actually a serious statement.

If you are not used to the woman's ball in your hands (insert jokes now please), then you can easily sometimes not notice the difference off the bat. I would say a couple of other things but I am afraid I would get banned if I kept talking about balls.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I did it one time during a JH girls game several years ago. We started with a men's ball for probably half of the first quarter. No one noticed because everything they shot was going in, which is unusual for JH girls. We figure it out during a stop in play at some point and switched.

I make sure I check now. I'm more likely to mess up and use a men's ball during a women's game than use a smaller ball for the men's game.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 01:33am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure it will happen this year now.

I'm just going to admire the title of this thread for a while...maybe we need to make this the second rule of officiating?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 07:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Havlicek stole the ball! It's all over! Johnny Havlicek stole the ball!"

Used a girls ball for the first half of a Catholic middle school boys game, first game of a boys/girls doubleheader, last year. I was the umpire. Site director brought it to our attention at halftime when he couldn't find the girls game ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 07:19am.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Wow! I can't believe they didn't catch this. For me, I notice the difference immediately, more in weight as opposed to circumference. Any repercussions coming to crew on this one? I'm guessing yes....... Officials: Mike Sanzere, Ray Perone, Eric Curry

Could game be played under protest? No advantage either way.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Dec 09, 2010 at 10:16am.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Wow! I can't believe they didn't catch this. For me, I notice the difference immediately, more in weight as opposed to circumference. Any repercussions coming to crew on this one? I'm guessing yes....... Officials: Mike Sanzere, Ray Perone, Eric Curry

Could game be played under protest? No advantage either way.
I had an assigner tell me a story about how he had gone most of the first half of a women's college game with the men's ball. During a free throw, the shooter looked at it, then looked at him and said it was the wrong ball.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
How many girl's basketball games do you work compared to all three of these official? I bet you work more girl's basketball games than they do as they are D1 Men's officials which eliminate their possibility to work woman's basketball for the most part. I am sure they probably do not even touch or see a woman's basketball most of the time. I am not on that level and I hardly see that smaller basketball so when I see it I have to pay attention. Some of the woman's basketballs have a marking of the size and that can be noticed easily, but all do not have the markings or they didn't at one point.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
How many girl's basketball games do you work compared to all three of these official? I bet you work more girl's basketball games than they do as they are D1 Men's officials which eliminate their possibility to work woman's basketball for the most part. I am sure they probably do not even touch or see a woman's basketball most of the time. I am not on that level and I hardly see that smaller basketball so when I see it I have to pay attention. Some of the woman's basketballs have a marking of the size and that can be noticed easily, but all do not have the markings or they didn't at one point.

Peace
If it doesn't say 28.5, don't use it.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Point well taken, I have about an equal schedule plus I do a fair amount of kids games. Still, they should have caught this. I promise you it will never happen to that crew again.

I never understood doing 5-6 grade boys games why they play with men's ball.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Point well taken, I have about an equal schedule plus I do a fair amount of kids games. Still, they should have caught this. I promise you it will never happen to that crew again.

Growing up in Iowa, we used the 28.5 ball through middle school.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I was not exonerating them totally. It should have been noticed as well as they should never have been given that ball in the first place by the school. Just saying it is not that noticeable if you never touch or see that ball.

I had this happen once in my career as well and I was working both sides on some level and we had a boy's ball on a girl's game. We played for few minutes with a boy's basketball and I even said, "This seems like a boy's basketball" but I was told that was the girl's ball. So we went with it until someone checked again and we figured it out. And this was before the markings on the girl’s basketball were more common. Schools should never put officials in that situation in the first place. The last thing we should have to worry about, are we playing with the regulation basketball.

Peace