The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm sorry, but there's no rules basis for saying it's a slam dunk that kicking is excessive contact. By definition, that requires a level of contact that may or may not accompany a kick.

Having a "possibility of legally contacting the ball" isn't required, anywhere. Otherwise, it would be a defensive violation to kick at the ball regardless of whether contact is made.

That said, a player kicking a ball that's being held is certainly going to be more scrutinized by me, and the bar dropped significantly for an intentional. I just can't agree that it's an automatic.
My points exactly.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm sorry, but there's no rules basis for saying it's a slam dunk that kicking is excessive contact. By definition, that requires a level of contact that may or may not accompany a kick.

Having a "possibility of legally contacting the ball" isn't required, anywhere. Otherwise, it would be a defensive violation to kick at the ball regardless of whether contact is made.

That said, a player kicking a ball that's being held is certainly going to be more scrutinized by me, and the bar dropped significantly for an intentional.

I just can't agree that it's an automatic.
So you're willing to accept players kicking each other above the waist as part of the game of basketball?
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
So you're willing to accept players kicking each other above the waist as part of the game of basketball?
I'm not Snaqs, but where did he say that?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I'm not Snaqs, but where did he say that?
It's the end result of treating it as a common foul. Players will do things that are common fouls in order to stop baskets. There are simply less expected points from 2 free throws than a layup.

If kicking is an acceptable (common) foul, it will be added to that arsenal of moves used to foul players breaking away. I'm not saying it will be done often. But it will be done regularly.

It's a player safety issue. Kicking at players is excessive for basketball.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's your take-away from my refusal to call this automatic? Seriously?

I think I'm on record as saying I would have called this play intentional; but I'm not basing that on reasoning from soccre roules.

Kicking at the ball happens all the time, it's part of the game. As an outnumbered defender on fast breaks, I used it all the time back in high school. I used it to prevent post passes.

In the OP, it's a defender using feet because of poor positioning; not really much different in theory than a single defender using it during a fast break to make the offense set up again.

The only difference is that in the OP, the offense is "holding" the ball when the kick attempt is made. I'm less inclined to call that a common or shooting foul because of safety concerns; but that inclination has really little to do with whether it's above or below the waste.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Failing to call an intentional foul for excessive force in this play is a complete failure of the official to provide for basic player safety.
Oh?

Does that mean that we should simply ignore NFHS rule 4-27-2 which states that severe contact may also be incidental contact?

And do we also ignore NFHS rule 4-40-7 which states the exact same thing about severe contact?

Whether a foul is intentional or flagrant in nature was, is and always will be a judgment call.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It can be.

But since your comment is an absolute, can you point me to the rule or case play that backs up that statement?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She kicked the player in the arm. In soccer, I've got a foul and a unsporting behavior caution for a reckless foul. It it was done with any force I've got a foul and a serious foul play send off for excessive force. If she hadn't made contact, I've got a dangerous play.
Well, she actually "caught the arm". I think there is an implied level of contact here that, while it is sufficient for a foul, is really minimal. Yet, you're taking it to the level of excessive.

And this is NOT soccer.

Quote:
Kicking the ball simply isn't trying to play the ball. The scenario is a second case scenario from your list.
Sure it is. I don't see how an attempt to contact the ball can be construed as anything but playing the ball. It is not much different than a player swatting near a ball that the opponent has completely wrapped up. There is no chance to actually contact the ball and a foul is the only likely result....yet that is playing the ball.

Quote:
Yes, the rule that says excessive force is an intentional foul. It's a slam dunk (ha) that kicking a standing opponent in the arm is excessive in basketball where kicking the ball at all is illegal.
There was NO hint in the OP that the force was excessive. In fact, the wording in the OP implied that the contact was slight.

If the same amount of contact had occurred with the arm, would it have been intentional? No. Contact is excessive or not based on the amount of contact, not which limbs are involved.

Quote:
Beyond that, it is also contact designed to neutralized an opponent's advantageous position which is also an intentional foul.
The contact wasn't designed at all, it was unintentional. The design was to knock the ball out of the opponent's hands. That part of the intentional rule is for contact that is intended for the sole purpose of contact alone to prevent the player from being able to make any sort of play.
Quote:
It's ludicrous that we're still discussing this at all. It's no different than the bear hug from behind. There's no possibility of legally contacting the ball.
Legally contacting the ball is not necessary....was the purpose of the action to contact the ball or to simply contact the player? The OP was pretty clear on that.
Quote:
No one said that. The player didn't "kick" the player. If they had "kicked" the player, it would probably be a flagrant foul. In this play, they kicked at the ball and missed....then made contact with a player's arm.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 01:49pm.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 02:28pm
Esteemed Participant

Let me add this - if the contact in the original situation had been "excessive" and ripped the shooter's arm off or knocked her down, then I would not have need to post the question. As it was, the "kick" to the arm was enough to knock the shooter's right arm off the ball and cause her to lose control of the ball as she was beginning her habitual shooting motion.

So the OP is NOT a case of excessive force or anything like that. Had the defender kicked the shooter in the head, the chest, etc. - easy Int. call...so I guess my question (which has gotten several different answers on here and from friends I have discussed it with in person) is "Should the mere fact that she kicked the shooter be an Int. foul as kicking is not really making a play on the ball?"

Consensus I have come up with is leaning heavily toward "No, but"...
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fisting ???

Quote:
Same reason for the "old not striking the ball with a fist" rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gasoline, Meet Fire ...

NFHS 4-18-1: Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as: An attempt to strike, punch or kick by using a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 4-18-1: Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as: An attempt to strike, punch or kick by using a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.
The implication in this rule is that the target is another player, not the ball.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Consensus I have come up with is leaning heavily toward "No, but"...
Yeah, the growing consensus seems to be: kicking an opponent is not an automatic INT/flagrant foul, but the bar is lowered significantly due to this not being a "basketball play."