The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional foul

Why would an official give 4 free throws and the ball for an intentional foul while shooting. I thought it was only 2 and the ball interest spot of violation.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

An there was no other T called for anything else.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

What kind of game was it? High school varisty? Third grade girls? Wreck league?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman. Why would that matter. I want to know the book rule. Please and thankyou. NF
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he was fouled while shooting a four point shot, he'd get four FTs.

Or, he could have been shooting three and the ref called disconcertion on the other team during one of the shots.
Or, he could have been shooting two and the ref called disconcertion on two of the shots.
Or, the ref might have called a multiple intentional foul if two players were there fouling.
Or, the ref might have missed the call.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
Why would an official give 4 free throws and the ball for an intentional foul while shooting. I thought it was only 2 and the ball interest spot of violation.
I had one that might have LOOKED like what you saw.

A1 gets fouled in the act of shooting by B1. My partner calls the foul and B1 complains about the call. B1 gets a T. A1 gets two shots, then A gets two shots for the Tech.

NFHS: 8-3...If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.

I know you aren't talking about the game I did because the coach choose another player to shoot the T. But, he could have choosen to have A1 shoot the T. If he did, it might appear that she was given four shots.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Freshman. Why would that matter. I want to know the book rule. Please and thankyou. NF
Just curious more than anything, but it usually helps to specify NFHS, NCAA, FIBA, or some league that does things in a radically different fashion. Sometimes local leagues have their own rules and tournaments have their own rule adaptations too.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Are sure there wasn't a T after the first foul?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 05:48pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If he was fouled while shooting a four point shot, he'd get four FTs.

Or, he could have been shooting three and the ref called disconcertion on the other team during one of the shots.
Or, he could have been shooting two and the ref called disconcertion on two of the shots.
Or, the ref might have called a multiple intentional foul if two players were there fouling.
Or, the ref might have missed the call.
Or, multiple foul - one of which was a personal foul against the shooter, the other of which was an intentional foul against the shooter.

It's a stretch, but possible.

All of the "4 free throws" possibilities rely on there being something other than the single intentional foul in the OP (either subsequent violation(s) or foul).
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

If Team A is in the bonus or the double bonus and there is an intentional or technical oul called on Team B, will Team A shoot the bonus shots and also the 2 for the intentional or technical?

Thanks for the help.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
If Team A is in the bonus or the double bonus and there is an intentional or technical oul called on Team B, will Team A shoot the bonus shots and also the 2 for the intentional or technical?
No. An intentional or technical foul carries its own penalty. You don't give two penalties for the same infraction.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Okay .. thanks.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably because the official got confused and thought that he had to award 2 FTs for being fouled in the act of shooting and another two FTs for the foul being an intentional personal foul. That's incorrect thinking, but I've seen it happen with inexperienced officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
If Team A is in the bonus or the double bonus and there is an intentional or technical foul called on Team B, will Team A shoot the bonus shots and also the 2 for the intentional or technical?
Bonus FTs are only awarded for common fouls. Neither an intentional personal or a technical foul are common fouls. Therefore, the bonus FT rules don't apply.