The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It's enough that I would call the foul, from that description. That's exactly what the FED has been trying to get us to do through numerous, almost yearly POE's.
+1.

OK, so you might have to give it your very best sell. OK, you might have to explain to the coach you extended your primary into your partner's area to help with off-ball coverage. If there is displacement in the post, we've got to go in and clean it up.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:46am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
This is a very good question. There are two reasons I didn't have a whistle, and why I'm still questioning whether I should have a whistle on this.

First, the contact I considered a foul happened at the end of the play. By then my partner was turning into the play and had an immediate whistle. One of the basic tenets I subscribe to for calling in my secondary is: be right, be needed, be late. So my initial reaction is to hold my whistle for half a beat so my partner has first crack at it (since it's his primary). I didn't discover that he had something other than the foul until he was signalling the travel.

Second, the way the play unfolded. I would have had to make a call from trail on a play that was perceived to be right in front of my partner. I would be perceived to be "overruling" my partner. Right or wrong, that's a very slippery slope. And most of the folks I've asked locally about this play have basically said that, in their opinion, you have to let your partner live or die with his call because of this.
My response to your two reasons would be: YOU saw the entire play, start - develop - finish. That makes it YOUR call more than your partners' call. To me, the official who sees the entire play trumps the lines we draw on the court to say "this is my area and that is yours." If I was the L in this play, I would want and EXPECT you to come in with a whistle and get the call right.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
+1.

OK, so you might have to give it your very best sell. OK, you might have to explain to the coach you extended your primary into your partner's area to help with off-ball coverage. If there is displacement in the post, we've got to go in and clean it up.
We can use the terms secondary and primary all we want, but the truth is, in 2-person, our primary frequently involves the 8 players off ball. If the ball is in the corner and the L is covering that matchup (which he must) my primary includes all the other players not in the line of sight of that L.

2-person forces us to extend at times in ways we would never extend in 3-person. No apologies from me. I'll come in hard and sell the call, but I'm not explaining coverage areas to a coach.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
My response to your two reasons would be: YOU saw the entire play, start - develop - finish. That makes it YOUR call more than your partners' call. To me, the official who sees the entire play trumps the lines we draw on the court to say "this is my area and that is yours." If I was the L in this play, I would want and EXPECT you to come in with a whistle and get the call right.
Yup.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It's enough that I would call the foul, from that description. That's exactly what the FED has been trying to get us to do through numerous, almost yearly POE's.

But that's just me.

JR:

Great (and old) minds think alike, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Pregame ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds like a good plan.
On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
on double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.
+1