The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 11:23pm
I miss being on the floor

How would this translate to Fed?

Watching the Bulls play the Thunder tonight.

A1 drives to the basket and his fouled in the act of shooting. He was going up to dunk, and the foul caused him to lose the ball. Somehow the ball went up towards the rim, and A1 caught it and almost was able to dunk it.

Does the shot attempt end when he loses control of the ball after the foul? Or would this be considered continuous motion in NFHS?
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

After a foul, once it's clear the initial shot attempt is unsuccessful, the ball is dead. That should give you the answer.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
After a foul, once it's clear the initial shot attempt is unsuccessful, the ball is dead. That should give you the answer.
It does. Obviously the NBA has different rules. They probably would have counted the basket if Gibson were able to finish the dunk.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
It does. Obviously the NBA has different rules. They probably would have counted the basket if Gibson were able to finish the dunk.
Yes, in the NBA, the basket would of counted. Snaqwell provided the correct interpretation for NFHS.

NBA Case Book (2010-2011)

45. Player A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and the ball becomes loose. Player A1 is able to continue his shooting motion after being fouled and the basket is successful. Should 2 points be scored?

Yes. Player A1 is credited with 2 points and will attempt one free throw. Any player who can score a basket in the same motion after being fouled and having the ball knocked loose shall be credited with the basket.

RULE 4 - SECTION X
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I do not know about that as it was asked. I think I get what you are saying, but in this case that might not completely apply to this situation. He said lose control of the ball, not sure that means he stopped his attempt to shoot the basket. In other words the ball comes out of his hand but continues to try to make a shot. I think I might allow that if what I am imagining is true.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He said lose control of the ball,
The "act of shooting" (and, thus, "continuation") ends when the ball is clearly in flight. If that's what was meant by "lose control of the ball", then the subsequent grab and shoot is nothing but "practicing with a dead ball" -- issue the T.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"practicing with a dead ball" -- issue the T.
Nice
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know about that as it was asked. I think I get what you are saying, but in this case that might not completely apply to this situation. He said lose control of the ball, not sure that means he stopped his attempt to shoot the basket. In other words the ball comes out of his hand but continues to try to make a shot. I think I might allow that if what I am imagining is true.

Peace
It's hard to describe exactly what happened. A1 begins the habitual motion of shooting by bringing the ball in towards his body while jumping towards the rim (a la a layup or dunk). As he's going up, he gets hit on the arm, causing him to lose control of the ball. The ball's, and the player's momentum is still upwards, and the player is able to catch the ball and try to dunk it. He missed, but let's say he made it. Would you count it?

Hope that makes better sense.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
It's hard to describe exactly what happened. A1 begins the habitual motion of shooting by bringing the ball in towards his body while jumping towards the rim (a la a layup or dunk). As he's going up, he gets hit on the arm, causing him to lose control of the ball. The ball's, and the player's momentum is still upwards, and the player is able to catch the ball and try to dunk it. He missed, but let's say he made it. Would you count it?
No. See rule 4-41-4. By rule, a try ends when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful. As soon as A1 touched the ball after he lost contol in mid-air, his try was unsuccessful. And A1 was fouled on that try.The ball is now also dead as per rule 6-7-7 and EXCEPTION c. A1 subsequently is just catching and dunking a dead ball, not attempting another try. That's why you can't count that basket.

A1 gets 2 FT's for being fouled during his try. And Nevada agrees with Bob about also issuing a "T" for dunking a dead ball (even though Bob doesn't agree with Bob ).
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
A1 gets 2 FT's for being fouled during his try. And Nevada agrees with Bob about also issuing a "T" for dunking a dead ball (even though Bob doesn't agree with Bob ).
What are you trying to do, destroy the universe?!? Bob always agrees with Bob! Anything else would result in chaos!

Bob was just indulging in a rare facetious moment. Fitting that it would come at Rut's expense.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What are you trying to do, destroy the universe?!? Bob always agrees with Bob! Anything else would result in chaos!

Bob was just indulging in a rare facetious moment. Fitting that it would come at Rut's expense.
Bob is the only one who can disagree with bob.
Sort of like Chuck Norris fighting Walker Texas Ranger.
Or Clark Kent taking on Superman.

That may well exhaust the list of applicable metaphors here.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Airborne shooter vs act of shooting

It seems that some of the confusion and subsequent discussion on this play comes because the shooter is in the air when he/she looses control of the ball, and is considered to be an "airborne shooter" until he/she returns to the floor. If that is the focus, then logic may lead one to think that regaining control of the ball and shooting it is a completion of the play, and not a new play. Apparently, because of the foul, the attempt is considered to have ended, and the concept of the airborne shooter regaining sufficient control of the ball to try, again, is considered to be a new play/attempt (?)
I've seen that happen, when no foul was involved, and we all thought it was just a great play on the part of the shooter.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I've seen that happen, when no foul was involved, and we all thought it was just a great play on the part of the shooter.
And it is a great play on the part of the shooter; and without a foul it would count.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:54am

Quote:
No. See rule 4-41-4. By rule, a try ends when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful. As soon as A1 touched the ball after he lost contol in mid-air, his try was unsuccessful. And A1 was fouled on that try.The ball is now also dead as per rule 6-7-7 and EXCEPTION c. A1 subsequently is just catching and dunking a dead ball, not attempting another try. That's why you can't count that basket.

That makes sense. Thanks JR
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am not sure about that as I am reading it. Again this is more of a what if, but I would have to see the play to say the attempt was simply over. Because if the player was making a dunk and was fouled and the ball slipped out of his hand, I probably going to give that player the benefit. Not saying that is what I would do in this specific situation, but I would not consider the play automatically over just because the ball is slightly out of the hand of the shooter for a very brief moment.

Peace