The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Bet All Three Of His Sons Know The Correct Interpretation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You're over-thinking the play.
justacoach overthinking? Impossible. justacoach thinking? Also impossible. justacoach underthinking? Possible, but only on a good day.

10.6.11 SITUATION D: A1 is running toward A’s goal but is looking back to
receive a pass. B1 takes a position in the path of A1 while A1 is 10 feet away from
B1. (a) A1 runs into B1 before receiving the ball; or (b) A1 receives the ball and
before taking a step contacts B1. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is responsible
for contact. In (a), B1’s position is legal if A1 has been given two strides prior to
contact. In (b), since the position of B1 is legal when A1 has the ball, the contact
is charging by A1. (4-40)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 05, 2010 at 04:50pm.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Humor me, please...
Nutshell question. Is B3, minding his own business, a defender a screener, or neither!!! and can actions beyond his control impact his status?
Neither, but it doesn't matter.

You could, I suppose, have a case for a no-call. If B3 wasn't paying attention, and if the contact wasn't "too bad" you *might* be able to say that B3 wasn't prevented from "normal offensive or defensive maneuvers".

It CANNOT be a foul on B3.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Humor me, please...
Nutshell question. Is B3, minding his own business, a defender a screener, or neither!!! and can actions beyond his control impact his status?
Your question is intended to imply that he doesn't become a "defender" or "screener" until an opponent with the ball makes contact with him. You're fishing for a way to justify calling a foul on B3.

As the others have said: stop fishing. The time/distance restrictions on screeners apply when the screener is moving, not when an opponent is approaching a stationary player.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Had the following play recently. Seeking guidance and advice

Both teams in double bonus
B is deployed in 3/4 court zone press
B3 is stationary at division line, 8 ft from sideline, as part of press defense defense
A1 inbounds ball to A5.
A5 throws a lead pass over the head of wing player A2 who runs toward the division line, looking backward while trying to receive pass. A2 muffs the pass and immediately trainwrecks with B3, who never left his spot
Your call

BTW, I had block on B3, A2 to FT line for bonus

Thanks

No, no, no, say it ain't so. This is why you are 4th best in your family.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Humor me, please...
It doesnt matter if he's an elf, the most that's required of him is two steps time and distance.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Why would this be a team control foul? No team control in high school on throw-ins and if the player muffed the ball when never had team control...shoot the bonus.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Why would this be a team control foul? No team control in high school on throw-ins and if the player muffed the ball when never had team control...shoot the bonus.
A1 inbounds ball to A5.
A5 throws a lead pass over the head of wing player A2 who runs toward the division line, looking backward while trying to receive pass.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This part.

Quote:
A1 inbounds ball to A5.
A5 threw the pass to A3.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This part.

A5 threw the pass to A3.
My bad...I read it wrong...forgot about the first pass to A5!
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Reading this post, it seems to me that you are justifying your blocking foul call on B3, who had a LGP, cheers
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Your question is intended to imply that he doesn't become a "defender" or "screener" until an opponent with the ball makes contact with him. You're fishing for a way to justify calling a foul on B3.

As the others have said: stop fishing. The time/distance restrictions on screeners apply when the screener is moving, not when an opponent is approaching a stationary player.
So, If A2 sets a blind screen and is not moving but does not give B2 a normal step, no foul on A2 because he is stationary? Or if, A2 moves into the path of B2 less than 2 steps in front of A2 but is stationary prior to contact, there is no foul on B2. When a player is moving without the ball time and distance are factors and the defense doesn't have to be moving. The defender must give them time and distance to avoid contact.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
So, If A2 sets a blind screen and is not moving but does not give B2 a normal step, no foul on A2 because he is stationary? Or if, A2 moves into the path of B2 less than 2 steps in front of A2 but is stationary prior to contact, there is no foul on B2. When a player is moving without the ball time and distance are factors and the defense doesn't have to be moving. The defender must give them time and distance to avoid contact.
True, and mbyron may have misspoken slightly. That said, the OP is a situation where it seems from his own description that far more than two steps were given from the time B3 took his position.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 10:31am. Reason: qualifier added
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
True, and mbyron misspoke slightly.
Did I? rwest gave the game away when he said "A2 sets a blind screen." A2 did that by moving illegally into screening position and thereby violating the screening requirements: subsequent contact is a foul.

I never said it's not a foul if the defender is stationary at contact. I said that "The time/distance restrictions on screeners apply when the screener is moving." If a defender becomes a screener without having moved (the play comes to him), then contact is not a foul by the defense (might be a PC or TC foul).
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Did I? rwest gave the game away when he said "A2 sets a blind screen." A2 did that by moving illegally into screening position and thereby violating the screening requirements: subsequent contact is a foul.

I never said it's not a foul if the defender is stationary at contact. I said that "The time/distance restrictions on screeners apply when the screener is moving." If a defender becomes a screener without having moved (the play comes to him), then contact is not a foul by the defense (might be a PC or TC foul).
I have added the applicable qualifier.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

My point is this....

Quote:

The time and distance principle is not just on a screener moving. If A2 sets a screen on B2 and is stationary when contact occurs but did not give B2 time and distance to avoid the contact it is a foul.

Last edited by rwest; Tue Dec 07, 2010 at 12:52pm.