The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

Last night I had to sit a game, so my partner and I watched the JVB game. This was a situation during that game. One partner counts a three point basket, while the other official clearly saw that it was a two. He was trying to get the table to change it to a two while the ball was in play. There was a quick steal and at least one foul that he missed because he was trying to fix this. It is a correctable error, but my question is this: In that situation, do you blow it dead when you notice the error, or wait until the next dead ball? In the case book, it talks about the coach calling a TO to fix an error like this, but it doesn't seem to say much about a situation like this.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Out Of Three ???

I'll give this a shot.

First of all, it has to be decided between the two officials if it was a two, or a three point shot. Who's primary coverage area? Who noted the foot on the line? Discuss and decide.

Then it breaks down to whether, or not, an improper signal was given.

Situation A: If an improper signal was given, and the scorekeeper recorded the improper number of points, then this becomes a correctable error situation, and all the guidelines of a correctable error come into player here, including whether, or not, the time limit expired, to correct the error.

Situation B: If the proper signal was given, and the scorekeeper mistakenly recorded the incorrect number of points, then this is not a correctable error situation, rather, it's a bookkeeping error, that can be corrected at any time, until both officials leave the visual confines of the court at the end of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 04, 2010 at 11:59am.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Or Three ???

This is not part of my usual pregame, but I will mention this if I'm working with an inexperienced partner for the first time:

If one official incorrectly signals the number of points, the other official will simply blow the whistle
immediately, discuss the play with our partner, come to a decision, signal the correct number of points
to the table, and resume the game. We will only correct if we are 100% sure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly, the shot was from around the area where the PCA's intersect in 2-man. The lead (who signaled the 3 that was scored in the book) probably didn't have the best angle to see a toe on the line, but the trail was very sure he did have a toe on the line. When he asked me about it, I told him he should have blown it dead and fixed it. I forgot to tell him to talk to his partner to make sure he didn't see something different. Whether or not that is what I would have done in my inexperience if it were my game, I don't know.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here, you see it as a two, you blow the whistle, signal a two, move on. There isn't anything to discuss....it is not a judgement call or a rule situation.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hope That I Don't Have To Use A Blue Font ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
The shot was from around the area where the PCA's intersect in 2-man.
Well now, why didn't you say that the first time. There's a new rule for this situation, when the shot is taken from this "gray area" on the foul line extended, and both officials come up with two different calls, one a successful two, the other a successful three. Award the team 2 1/2 points. It's called the Tim Donaghy Rule and it's purpose is to screw up the betting line on the game. All the local bookies will be tearing their hair out.