The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Lost Game

previous post talking about losing game to weather. That has not happened to me but my game tonight has been cancelled due to a HS hostage situation last night. Ugly scene. At least 8 shots fired throughout ordeal but no hostages injured. Last shot was self-inflicted and shooter has life threatening injuries.

Was doing a JUCO game last night and when we got to that gym (1/2 mile from the HS) ran into the varsity boys coach and tons of kids and parents trying to find kids. They had bussed them to the U. Was 10 feet away from set of parents who couldn't find their son. Were told he was one of hostages. I NEVER want to hear a scream from a mother like that again!!!

If I get a reschedule - fine - if not FINE! This was bigger than a contract, game or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, talk about perspective.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:02am
Archaic Power Monger

What a terrible thing to have to experience. Thankfully, none of the innocents were physically harmed.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:14am
Back from the DL

Thanks for that story, Chartruse.

In my second year of officiating, I had a MS game where one of the students was murdered by his mother's boyfriend three days prior to the game. (The assailant was rule legally insane. Don't get me started.) It was the first game there since Anthony's horrific end.

When I arrived, I asked the A.D. how everyone was faring. He said something I'll never forget. The A.D. said that the toughest thing teachers had to do -- aside from dealing with his death -- was explaining to 12 and 13 year olds that there are some things in life that are absolutely final.

By the way, Anthony's buddies won, 73-3. It was 52-0 after three quarters, and it took a technical foul (2nd plane infraction) to get the visitors on the board. It was -- and will likely be -- the only time I informed a coach of a technical foul, and was actually thanked for it. ("Anything you can do for these guys...!")
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Awful, just awful

You really need to wonder sometimes why it gets to this flash point so very often now in schools (and in business).
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
You really need to wonder sometimes why it gets to this flash point so very often now in schools (and in business).
Agreed - but story is that this student was not bullied, was very well liked, came from a great family whose parents encouraged and followed all their kids. A real tradgedy. No one can think of a reason why this happened. The class he took hostage even had 6 of his best friends in it.

I am very interested in finding out what was behind this.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the perspective "reality check". It's incredibly easy for me to get so wrapped up in thinking about the game that I lose sight of why the game matters, the kids.