The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hanging on Rim Technical - NCAA Tournament

Okay after seeing the various tournament games being played this week, what is going on with the 2? or so Technical Fouls being given for hanging on the rim. It seems there have been many this week, is it a big point of emphasis for NCAA?

The 2 situations I saw and I don't remember the games, seemed that the player was being cautious of coming down on a player. 1 in particular the momentum of the player caused him to swing under the rim in which he kept his grib on the rim. When his momentum caused him to come back under the rim he let go, in which the New Trail gave the Technical.

I saw the plays on T.V and I don't wont to criticize the officials as they were on the court during play and looked to be in position. Just wondered if you all observed what I did or if I am looking at it wrong.

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 10:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Was there a player directly underneath the rim or in their path? Momentum isn't an excuse, IMO.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Was there a player directly underneath the rim or in their path? Momentum isn't an excuse, IMO.
Snaq, cant say for sure. I know in 1 play it didn't seem like he hung on the rim at all IMO and in the other, the one I stated, his momentum carried him under the goal. The way he was carried if he would have let go it looked as if he could have fell flat on his back or in a unsafe manner since he would have been dropping straight down.

But back to the initial question I don't remember seeing a player directly under the players who dunked, but wouldnt it take a moment to look down to see in the case of the player causing him to maybe hang for an additional second?
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 11:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd have to see the plays in question, but I would typically defer to the guys on the floor if it's close.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

About 40 seconds remaining in the UNLV/Tulsa game when one occurred.
It was a good call.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Snaq, cant say for sure. I know in 1 play it didn't seem like he hung on the rim at all IMO and in the other, the one I stated, his momentum carried him under the goal. The way he was carried if he would have let go it looked as if he could have fell flat on his back or in a unsafe manner since he would have been dropping straight down.

But back to the initial question I don't remember seeing a player directly under the players who dunked, but wouldnt it take a moment to look down to see in the case of the player causing him to maybe hang for an additional second?
I saw both "T"s. In neither was there a player underneath. And in both, the player chinned himself. If you get a chance to look at the replays, see if the player called doesn't go up while holding onto the ring. No excuse for that.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
About 40 seconds remaining in the UNLV/Tulsa game when one occurred.
It was a good call.
And I saw one in the DePaul -xxxxx(I forget who else was playing) game -- also a good call, but one that I think would have gone uncalled in the past.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'd have to see the plays in question, but I would typically defer to the guys on the floor if it's close.
No doubt about it. They have the best looks. Just seems like they are really going after such calls this week or for the whole year. I don't think I saw that many during all of last year, or maybe I just don't remember correctly.