The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quick question about the officiating crews for the NCAA tournament. Are the crews all from the same conference or officials who have worked together or is it more of a "all-star" type crew. For example is there maybe an official who only works out west doing PAC-10 or Mountain West games with an official who does Big Ten or Southeastern Conference games. I guess my question would be best put are these officiating crews who may of worked together during the year?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wonderlic
Quick question about the officiating crews for the NCAA tournament. Are the crews all from the same conference or officials who have worked together or is it more of a "all-star" type crew. For example is there maybe an official who only works out west doing PAC-10 or Mountain West games with an official who does Big Ten or Southeastern Conference games. I guess my question would be best put are these officiating crews who may of worked together during the year?
It's possible, but officials are assigned as individuals, not crews (and certainly not by conference).

Of course, most of the refs you'll see in the tourney work for a bunch of conferences, so they may have worked together at least one game.

If you watch closely, you'll often see some of the officials using slightly different mechanics than the other 2 refs, due to regional/conference differences.