The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

(Stanford/Michigan) Pitcher for Stanford seems so far out of the 24", it's a crime.

Announcers still down on the umpires. The batter did the right thing by swinging at a marginal pitch as to not allow the umpire to take the bat out of her hands.

Boy, would I love to get my hands around their throats

Old Sat May 29, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hit down 3rd base line which scored a Stanford run was clearly foul in my opinion. Quality of the camera angles not very good but it didn't look like it touched the glove or changed direction at all.
No doubt about it!!
Due respect to the Pac 10 but I would love to see a team from another region make an impact.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
Ball hit down 3rd base line which scored a Stanford run was clearly foul in my opinion. Quality of the camera angles not very good but it didn't look like it touched the glove or changed direction at all.
No doubt about it!!
Due respect to the Pac 10 but I would love to see a team from another region make an impact.
I only saw the replay a couple of time, but based on the 3B umpire, it seems there was some doubt there on what it was.

Great slide at home by the UM player. Stacy N talked about how maybe the catcher should have blocked more of the plate.

Michigan needs to learn to catch and throw the ball. Too many errors cost them the game.

Old Sat May 29, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Sitting here now, during the FSU/Washington game, listening to the announcers harp on how frustrating the "inconsistency" of the PU's strike zone is. The announcers really should be given some sort of idiocy award.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

FSU/Washington

Anyone else think Van Der Linden is leaping?

Watched the John Hopkins/Syracuse lacrosse semi between softball games.

The announcers were knowledgeable of the game, the rules and instead of criticizing the officiating when something happened that a team didn't like, they explained the situations and how the rules applied. Much more professional than what we are witnessing in OKC.

Back to softball, haven't seen the camera span to a pick-off play yet as it was happening. And an 8 y/o girl throwing a ball is definitely more entertaining than the game on the field. All they did was talk up this kid (nothing against the kid, I hope she does well), yet the camera never showed the pitches. Hmmmmm.

Now these idiots are explaining how the ball is suppose to catch some of the strike zone, like they actually know what the strike zone is.

I wonder if they could pass an umpire's test?

Old Sat May 29, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
FSU/Washington

Yes.

Quote:
Watched the John Hopkins/Syracuse lacrosse semi between softball games.

The announcers were knowledgeable of the game, the rules and instead of criticizing the officiating when something happened that a team didn't like, they explained the situations and how the rules applied. Much more professional than what we are witnessing in OKC.

I noticed the same thing on both lacrosse matches aired on ESPN today.

Quote:
Now these idiots are explaining how the ball is suppose to catch some of the strike zone, like they actually know what the strike zone is.

I wonder if they could pass an umpire's test?
I think we all know the answer to this.

Perhaps a better question would be, "can they spell umpire test?!"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
FSU/Washington

Well, finally someone opened the door! I was watching the FSU/Cal game the other night and my left arm kept rising for the IP call. I didn't think she was as bad today as she was Thursday. But, you know, if she can get away with it, why not do it.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I heard a comment for the ages from the "brains in the booth" during the Stanford/Oklahoma game about the strike zone."There are THREE strike zones,the pitchers strike zone,the catchers strike zone,and the umpires strike zone."I wish I could have phoned in to the airhead to let her know that only one zone matters.Guess who??? Almost tempted to turn off the volume and play music while watching the game,so I dont have to hear the mindless chatter.

Jeff
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Couple of things this morning.

1. Dumba s s announcers making a point that no matter who won the FSU/LSU game, an East-coast team will still stay alive in the tournament. HELLO? Baton Rouge is now on the East coast?

2. Announcers finally compliment 1B umpire for calling LSU runner out for leaving 1B early and then follow it up with "most umpires will not make that call".

3. Have seen a few moves by the umpires I don't particularly care for.

With runner on 2B, the BU hustle to inside the diamond after every pitch for a possible pick-off at 2B even if there was a runner on 1B. The only problem I have with that is they may end up in the middle of a play when it isn't necessary.

On a ball to RC, the BU from the B position ran outside 2B toward 3B. That means the ball and play was behind him.

Saw PU get caught coming inside the diamond at 3B when there was no play instead of staying in a holding zone in foul territory. The ball was coming back from the right side, so PU ends up back to play and possibly in the line of throw if runner bails on attempt to score and heads back to 3B. This wouldn't be so bad if he (OK/STANFORD) had trailed BR, but he was hustling straight up the line, not coming across the diamond. However, it's easy to see this stuff when you are sitting back at home with replays. We all know that once a play begins, it isn't unusual for the crew to make adjustments.

So far, I think the crews in OKC are doing a great job.

Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Other little things I've noticed.

Umpires are being very protective of the zone and NOT awarding bases to those who lean into a pitch.

Also, what I believe to be another NCAA nuance is the ignoring of the slappers stepping out of the box. There have been quite a few, especially from Cal and LSU who have, without any doubt, placed their foot entirely in front of the plate and then contact the ball.

There have been a couple that seem to be running out of the front of the box, but that one can be a real tough one to call.

More fun and games with the announcers the last few days. Holly Rowe (no relation) mentioning how she just talked to the coach and reported that they were going to intentionally walk the batter in the box. The rest of the broadcast crew climbed all over that bandwagon talking about how the catcher isn't going to move out of position for an intentional walk because it is difficult for the pitcher to throw outside, yada, yada, yada. They carried that charade right up until that batter struck out and then seemed surprised that someone could strike out on what was supposed to be an intentional walk. Sometimes you have to wonder if they are even in OKC.

There was a 300' plus shot in one of the games. It only took the broadcast crew about three innings to figure out that was the actual field fence for the slow-pitch game.

BTW, if anyone is keeping score, I think the umpire crews are kicking the s*** out of the announcing crews.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on May 31st, 2004 at 10:47 AM]