The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

What do make per game at team camps?

Let me preface this with "I am a coach but I come in peace!"

I am considering starting a summer league next year for varsity girls. I would like to have state certified officials to do the games. Can you tell me what you are paid/game in leagues such as this and team camps?

Thanks in advance!
coachgrd
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgrd View Post

I am considering starting a summer league next year for varsity girls. I would like to have state certified officials to do the games. Can you tell me what you are paid/game in leagues such as this and team camps?

Thanks in advance!
coachgrd
This is going to vary widely by region. Are you in a metro area that utilizes assigners? Find out from the AD of a local high school how their officials are assigned. Then, if there's an assigner, that assigner will be able to answer your question better than anyone here (unless there happens to be an official from your city here).
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgrd View Post

Thanks in advance!
coachgrd
What happens in Ontario is camps are run by Basketball Ontario in conjunction with the the Provincial Officials Association.

The kids play their games and do their drills while officials get class room and floor instruction from experienced officials. Then the teams play a series of games, which the officials referee.

Maybe you could look into having an officials camp run in conjunction with your camp.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:15am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not even know what is the difference between a Team Camp and summer league is the first place.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not even know what is the difference between a Team Camp and summer league is the first place.

Peace
My guess, camps last a weekend. Leagues last the summer.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:43am
Official Fiveum Member

When I work HS summer ball, I usually get between $27.50 and $35 per game. I haven't found that, for instance, boys games pay more than girls games, but the pay rate is mostly determined by whether or not the organization is a non-profit, such as a rec league as opposed to a commercial facility or a coach. The non-profits have a tendency to pay more.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

When I work any summer game usually the pay is between $20 and $25. Again we are talking about running clock games with very loose rules application when it comes to fouling out and other administrative situations. And usually we work multiple games on a day as well. Most games take an hour at most and it does not seem to matter what they call the games (league or camp) we get paid the same or similarly. Now often many of these games are run as camps for the officials, which do not include any pay because the officials are provided for by the camp director. So the rate has to vary based on the agreement between the assignor and camp/tournament/league director.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

This is what I was looking for, thanks!
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

You are a coach. You should be able to contact the assignor that sends officials scholastic games. In many cases, at least in Southeastern PA, that assignor has many officials that want work in the summer. He may even assign the games for your league/camp. It would be between the two of you to come up with a reasonable rate.
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Around my area, what you would do is find an assigner, tell them what you need, and negotiate a per game (total) fee that he distributes as he sees fit. If its $50, and he wants to keep, say, $6 a game for his fee, he'd pay $22 for 2 officials. Or he'd pay $15 for 3 and keep $5. Whatever the numbers are -- these may be total fiction. Anyway, the other alternative is that he runs a camp for officials, uses them to cover games and charges them a fee and pays his camp staff from all the proceeds.

You need to decide what timing and rule changes (foul outs, uniforms, etc.) if any you want and don't want. Some coaches couldn't care less, they just want their players to play. Others want strict foul counts as they don't want their players to pick up bad habits by being allowed more than 5 fouls per game -- and I have worked in leagues where there are no foul outs.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Examples of rules modifications for Summer Basketball

You're right about formats varying from leagues to tournaments! Here are 2 examples of leagues in Southern California which I have been a part of.

League 1-

1.Games are composed of 4 quarters with 10 minutes running clock. Stop time is in effect for the 4'th quarter only when the margin is 10 points or less.Shot clock will not be used.
Note:If overtime is necessary it will be 1 minute stop time!

2.Teams are allotted 1-30 second timeout and 1 full for the game!
Note:In the event of overtime each team will be granted an additional 30 second timeout.

3.If a player is fouled in the act of shooting and makes it the "And-1" is automatically given .

4.Free throws for a player who was fouled in the act but does not make their shot are to be administered as follows:
1 free throw for either 2 or 3 points depending on the attempt.

5.Pre-Game will last a minimum of 5 minutes. It can be extended depending on how far behind/ahead we are. Halftime will always be 5 minutes.

6.A player will foul out when he reaches 5 fouls.

7.Both bonuses will be in effect! However our board operator will stop counting at 7 fouls because each penalty is the same.

League 2-This is a girls summer league

1.Games will consist of 2-20 minute halves which will be running clock.Clock will stop in the final 2 minutes of final half if margin is 10 points or less.If overtime is necessary it will last three minutes.

2.Teams will be allowed three timeouts per game.

3.10 second count is in effect but the shot clock is not used.

4.All free throws will be administered under regular season rules!

5.Players will foul out once they reach five fouls.

I like Format 1 personally because it allows the kids to play more. In Format 2 plenty of time is wasted reporting fouls and shooting free throws with a running clock.