The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

3-Man Mechanics Help

1) If you close down in the LEAD and begin to rotate, I am assuming you finish the rotation even if the ball is swung to the opposite side?

2) Who chops the clock in to start the game. Table side or opposite table side official?

3) If I have a closely guarded count in my area and it progresses to the TRAIL do I still continue the count? If it is stopped, would I give responsibility to them?

Thanks everybody!
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
1) If you close down in the LEAD and begin to rotate, I am assuming you finish the rotation even if the ball is swung to the opposite side?
The rotation is not complete until you reach the other side of the lane line (where you are going). You can always back out if a shot goes up or if there is a drive to the basket.

Quote:
2) Who chops the clock in to start the game. Table side or opposite table side official?
U1

Quote:
3) If I have a closely guarded count in my area and it progresses to the TRAIL do I still continue the count? If it is stopped, would I give responsibility to them?

Thanks everybody!
You continue the count until the count stops regardless of where the ball goes.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As the lead, you decided to rotate to the opposite side and the ball is swung around to the opposite side? Were you table side originally?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks everybody!
It seems that you need to purchase a 3-person mechanics book.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
As the lead, you decided to rotate to the opposite side and the ball is swung around to the opposite side? Were you table side originally?
I am table side, along with the ball. The ball is swung and players are matching up on the opposite side of the court. I begin my rotation after closing down and as I get halfway across the ball is swung back to table side.
I would assume, as I have heard this in the past, that you would finish your rotation, then if the ball stays and players begin to match up you would rotate back to table side. Or you could back away from the roatation, but couldnt this cause more harm than good with the rotation of your partners?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am table side, along with the ball. The ball is swung and players are matching up on the opposite side of the court. I begin my rotation after closing down and as I get halfway across the ball is swung back to table side.
I would assume, as I have heard this in the past, that you would finish your rotation, then if the ball stays and players begin to match up you would rotate back to table side. Or you could back away from the roatation, but couldnt this cause more harm than good with the rotation of your partners?
The training I heard at every level of the 3 camps I attended this summer was: rotating too little is way, way more common than rotating too much. In general, crews don't rotate enough, partly because the old mechanic was to rotate only when the ball came below the FT line extended on the other side.

Another consideration is that we officiate the players, not the ball. If I'm lead and have 8 players on my side of the lane, it's silly to rotate the moment the ball goes across. C can handle 2 guys and the ball.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The training I heard at every level of the 3 camps I attended this summer was: rotating too little is way, way more common than rotating too much. In general, crews don't rotate enough, partly because the old mechanic was to rotate only when the ball came below the FT line extended on the other side.

Another consideration is that we officiate the players, not the ball. If I'm lead and have 8 players on my side of the lane, it's silly to rotate the moment the ball goes across. C can handle 2 guys and the ball.
Well said. I have heard your last sentence before also. It is a great tool to remember that we officiate the players and not the ball. I guess my situation doesn't happen much if you are rotating because of matchups and not simply the ball
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

If you are in a closed down position you will not have far to go.

That being said I would not move just because the ball is on the other side of the lane. If the ball is being kicked back and forth up top I might not move at all except for being in the closed down position. What will make me rotate is what the other players are doing. If players are setting up in the post or if it is clear the ball is coming back to where I am, I might not move at all. The objective is to have two officials on the side of the ball, but that is not always practical. I am not going to go away from players just to be on the side of the ball when I do not have ball coverage on the other side of the lane.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are in a closed down position you will not have far to go.

That being said I would not move just because the ball is on the other side of the lane. If the ball is being kicked back and forth up top I might not move at all except for being in the closed down position. What will make me rotate is what the other players are doing. If players are setting up in the post or if it is clear the ball is coming back to where I am, I might not move at all. The objective is to have two officials on the side of the ball, but that is not always practical. I am not going to go away from players just to be on the side of the ball when I do not have ball coverage on the other side of the lane.

Peace
Thanks JR. This all helps. Moving up to the first season with 3 man, so wanna make sure I get it right.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks JR. This all helps. Moving up to the first season with 3 man, so wanna make sure I get it right.
This takes practice and understanding. You will not get it right every time or even get close. This will be my 14th year of mostly 3 Person Mechanics and I am still figuring out how to rotate on many plays. It is a process.

Last little advice. Find a reason to rotate; do not find reasons not to rotate.

Peace