The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Our state charges $55 to register for the first sport, $30 for the second, and $25 for each additional sport, so I paid $110 this year. I pay $50 in association dues for basketball and $30 each for two different baseball associations, plus $125 for college baseball which goes mostly to the NCAA.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
il play along!

Here in CA its $75 for my HS assoc, and $115 for JC/NAIA dues
Dues for my HS group in CA are $50. The JC conference there is $75.
My HS group on the NV side of the line charges $65.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you who are paying assigning fees, I can't believe that you put up with that. That cost should not be borne by the game officials, but instead by the member schools who are contracting with the assignor or organization doing the assigning. That fee should be built into that contract.

To stick the rank and file officials with that cost is bush league.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That cost should not be borne by the game officials, but instead by the member schools who are contracting with the assignor or organization doing the assigning. That fee should be built into that contract.

Very true. But in TN last spring the State "backed" the Assignor and supervisors in disbanding the local association leaders who had been voted into leadership by ballot. They took control of the bank account and the scholarship account, and have provided only a "balance sheet". No information on to whom our money is going to, just how much is coming in an going out.

State dues $65 for 1st sport.
Local dues $85 plus $1 for each game assigned.

It is a "racket" in every understanding of the word. We can not start a new association because the State will not "recognize" a new association to meet the state mandated local "training" requirement.
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For those of you who are paying assigning fees, I can't believe that you put up with that. That cost should not be borne by the game officials, but instead by the member schools who are contracting with the assignor or organization doing the assigning. That fee should be built into that contract.

Really, it doesn't matter. The schools can pay the assignor or they can pay the officials who then pay the assignor. In the end, it comes out the same.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I completely agree with you there. Which is why I am glad we do not have to do such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really, it doesn't matter. The schools can pay the assignor or they can pay the officials who then pay the assignor. In the end, it comes out the same.
It does matter big time in my opinion. For one joining any association in my area is about training, not assigning. You can be a member of any number of associations and not get a single game from anyone in theory. And we do not pay any extra fee to work games to be a member or have an assignor that is obligated to assign games to members of any specific association. We are independent contractors, so what the assignor is paid to assign has nothing to do with us. And based on what we are paid for games at it relates to other parts of the country, we are not losing that much as a result. The conferences pay our assignors and our fees seem to be consistent or more than many areas. Of course we do not get things like gas, but we certainly are not paying more money to work games.

As a matter of fact when assignors last year took on the Arbiter website for assigning, it was more money than the previous site they used. So a group of them got together and convinced Arbiter to allow them to all use the site together based on the Chicago area conferences. These assignors went to our local associations to ask to cover their costs saying that our members benefit from the usage of the assigning site which is used almost exclusively by every basketball assignor in the Chicago land area. This idea was shot down big time because it was felt that members should not pay anything to get games.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

SC

$50 for state association
$30 for local district
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

PA

I think it is $35 to the state and $30 to my chapter, or vice versa.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

In my association, commissioner's fee is 8% of our game fees and each school pays a nominal annual scheduling fee to the commissioner.

As far as dues, $40 to register with the association (plus $10 for newcomers/transfers) and $40 to the State ($25 if already registered in another sport).
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In my association, commissioner's fee is 8% of our game fees and each school pays a nominal annual scheduling fee to the commissioner.
That's exactly what I believe is wrong. The schools should be paying the amount that your officials are having to make up by that 8%. The commissioner should be getting his fee solely from the schools, not taking a cut of the check of each official. If he doesn't believe that the nominal annual scheduling fee is high enough, then he needs to discuss that with the schools, not take it out of the pockets of his officials.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's exactly what I believe is wrong. The schools should be paying the amount that your officials are having to make up by that 8%. The commissioner should be getting his fee solely from the schools, not taking a cut of the check of each official. If he doesn't believe that the nominal annual scheduling fee is high enough, then he needs to discuss that with the schools, not take it out of the pockets of his officials.
It's standard practice around these parts. Military, adult rec, kiddy rec, high school, middle school--all associations have a commissioner's fee coming from the game fee. Customer's are pretty much only putting out the money for the games themselves.

Only venue where the customer pays the commissioner's fee is AAU.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's standard practice around these parts. Military, adult rec, kiddy rec, high school, middle school--all associations have a commissioner's fee coming from the game fee. Customer's are pretty much only putting out the money for the games themselves.

Only venue where the customer pays the commissioner's fee is AAU.
It is pretty much standard practice for just about any similar type of operation...officiating or otherwise. Not sure why he's so worked up about it.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Here dues are: $115. $50 to the state, $65 to the chapter. We also pay a flat $80 assigning fee which rather severely punishes sub varsity officials or those who can't work as much IMO.
Its the highest out of all the sports. What I dont get is $50 is what use to go to TASO, but it goes to UIL but UIL registration is suppose to be free apparently. The assigning fee is rather high, I rather it go to the way it useto be, you pay by the games.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is pretty much standard practice for just about any similar type of operation...officiating or otherwise. Not sure why he's so worked up about it.
The school pays (say) $100 to the officials, who give $8 to the assigner.

Or, the school pays $92 to the officials and $8 to the assigner.

Or, the school pays $100 to the assigner who sends $92 to the officials.

It seems everyone ends up with the same amount of money under either scenario. So, unless one method is more efficient than the other, or there are some "legal" ramifications (the latter could lead to an employment relationship, for example), it doesn't seem to matter much.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
Its the highest out of all the sports. What I dont get is $50 is what use to go to TASO, but it goes to UIL but UIL registration is suppose to be free apparently. The assigning fee is rather high, I rather it go to the way it useto be, you pay by the games.
From what I have heard, UIL registration is free unless you are a member of a UIL chapter. Makes a lot of sense....

The assigning fee is a good deal for varsity officials or those that work a lot. Not so much for anyone else though.