The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 07:54am
MABO Member

Pain in my heel

Well I have been running for about 3 weeks now trying to ensure I won't have any problems when the season starts. WOuldn't ya know it, my first weekend on a court was this past weekend and I have developed pain in my heel. It feels like I have a bruise on the bottom/inside part of the heel.

Any suggestions for treatment?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

It might be...

Plantar fasciitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have it....actually many refs have / get it

The treatment they suggested me was major stretching of the calf....that didnt settle it...I ended up with a cort shot and orthotic inserts....I'm close to being able to run again....thankfully just in time to get ready for the season.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

These Will Do The Trick ...

Step Stretch- The Official Site of AsSeenOnTV.com

As Seen On TV, As Seen On TV Product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

Homedics® Therapist Select™ Shiatsu Foot Massager - Bed Bath & Beyond
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 08:48pm.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
It might be...

Plantar fasciitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have it....actually many refs have / get it

The treatment they suggested me was major stretching of the calf....that didnt settle it...I ended up with a cort shot and orthotic inserts....I'm close to being able to run again....thankfully just in time to get ready for the season.
I was diagnosed with it at the end of last season. Mistake on my part was not seeing a podiatrist sooner. Spent all season working in pain, trying to treat it with streching, heel cups, various over the counter inserts, special cushioned socks, Icy Hot, Advil, and ice packs after the game....all it did was dull the pain somewhat.

I was able to avoid the cort shot, but the doc fitted me for custom orthotics, gave me two simple stretches, and a sleeping splint. Splint was a huge help in decreasing the excruciating morning pain you feel when you first get out of bed. Umpired in pain through most of the summer (pain nowhere near as bad working hoops), by end of mid-August was finally running pain free.
Begged off of all fall ball assignments to give it a good rest before the start of basketball. If it flares up again this season, next step will be the cort shot.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Well I have been running for about 3 weeks now trying to ensure I won't have any problems when the season starts. WOuldn't ya know it, my first weekend on a court was this past weekend and I have developed pain in my heel. It feels like I have a bruise on the bottom/inside part of the heel.

Any suggestions for treatment?

Chances are plantar fasciitis is setting in. There have been several threads about it over the years. Just use the search engine. I've explained how to tape your foot in a couple of those.

You probably need arch support. Nice cushy insoles won't do the trick. I highly recommend these if you can't get custom orthotics.

Spenco ThinSole 3/4 Length Orthotics : Insoles : Footsmart.com

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith