The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 15, 2000, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am currently being treated for heel pain. I have been to my family doctor, a podiatrist, and now am seeing an orthopedic surgeon. I have a condition called plantar fascia. I have had ultrasound, Cortizon shots, done exercises, and wear a night brace. The only thing left is surgery. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to eliminate the pain? I am looking forward to the fall basketball season but am
concerned about the persistant pain in my heel. I have been in pain since spring.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2000, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

I purchased two pair of devises for my shoes. I have pods (hard soles insoles) and heel gel packs. The first podiatrist I saw prescribed the hardpods which I used for months with no relief. The second podiatrist prescribed the gel pack sole inserts. Once again, months of use did no good. The orthodpedic surgeon I am currently seeing has prescribed a night brace. I have only used it for a week. So far, no good.Glad to hear that your pods worked. You indeed are lucky that your pain only lasted a few months. I am told this could go on for 1-2 years or may never go away. Surgery is only 75% effective. Mike.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2000, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Stearns

Good luck. I know how painful this injury is as I thought it would end my carrier as an active official. I was one of the lucky ones to get over it. I went to a Podiatrist where he made me a set of orthotics (?) which have done the trick. It still took 2-3 months to see real progress. I was also informed that the orthotics become week after some time and should be checked, if so they need to be replaced.

One of the most important lessons for a new referee is to replace or keep a good check of their shoes because for when they become warn you will develop injures.

Spend some of your cash you receive for refereeing and invest it in your future.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Macca

Old Mon Jul 17, 2000, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I have a minor case of plantar fascia, but I recognize how painful this can be. I was able to deal with it by using orthotics and by getting into the habit of stretching my calves immediately after waking up in the morning. This seems to help alleviate the symptoms.

Cheers,
David
Old Mon Jul 17, 2000, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This advice probably won't help Stearns, but it may give someone else some relief. When I first began reffing about 9 months ago, I developed P.F. Heck I had every --itis there is!! My physical trainer recommended this exercise: Stand on one leg, or you can do this lying down. Pull the other leg up with the knee into the armpit . Pull tight, while holding the other leg straight and back straight as possible. Do this for a cound of 10. Then other leg. repeat three or four times. Do this about once an hour, if possible throughout the day. Or when ever heel feels tight or sore. Do two rounds upon awaking before getting out of bed. I found this to do the trick, since I got on top of it before it was bad. Hope it helps someone else!
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I too have a mild case of Plantar faciatiis and before games I sit down and rotate my foot in a circular motion about 10 times on each foot. This also seems to stretch out the calfes and shins as well as the foot. Dr. Scholl's makes a good sport insert for shoes. It's blue and is a heel/arch support I found at Target.

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann
Old Wed Jul 26, 2000, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

If any one here really understands your problem, believe me, I do. I had a release done on my planta fascia last August 4. It has done a lot of good for me, but I would definitely not rush into the surgery decision.

I had experienced intense pain in my foot for nearly one year prior to the surgery. I began my treatments under the care of a podiatrist (I would recommend a podiatrist rather than an orthapedist (sp?) due to the fact that the podiatrist specializes in feet) right after the 1998-199 season ended. First thing he did was to have sutom orthodic made. This was done by making a cast of my feet and having the orthodics cast to the plaster molds. These provided a ton of relief--until I started running. After I began running again, all of the pain was back. Next was a program of stretching, ice and anti-inflammatories. I tried several different types of pills due to lack of relief and stomach irratation. I had moderate success with these. I then had a series of three shots in each PF (I am lucky enough to have it in each foot) with cortizone. Be careful with the injections--they thin the tendon and can lead to a rupture. My Dr. said he would not inject more than three times for this reason. These treatments will cure/relieve enough pain in 80-90% of those who suffer from PF.

All of these treatments never gave me more than moderate relief of my pain--about 10-25% and none of it long term. During the season, I was having my arch taped every night before the game--this helped more the following day than during the game. I talked at length with my Dr. (who was an athlete--I think that is important--he/she will understand the drive to continue working ball games) regarding my feet's future. He said that I could go on with the pain or have the release done--it was totally up to me. I wanted to have the release done in both feet at one time, but the Dr. wouldn't do it. Boy was I glad he wouldn't. During the recovery, I still had "one good leg to stand on." That made a huge difference.

The Dr. made about a 3/4" incision on the inside of my foot below my ankle bone and about 1/4-1/2" above the sole of my foot. He then cut about 2/3 of the width of my PF. After the surgery, I was off my feet (crutches) for 3 weeks, walking boot for 2 weeks and walking (absolutely no running) in my shoes (with orthodics) for 5 weeks. Yes, 10 weeks of zero running. This was the middle of Oct and I had not run one step for 10 weeks. My season begins about the 2nd week of Nov.

I began with a scrimmage at a local Univ. We had 5 officials to rotate in so we could all work and just in case I couldn't run. Starting and accelerating was fine, but slowing down hurt like hell!! I found out later that our ligaments and tendons are "stretched" to a useable length and I had to re-stretch mine to a useable length. That was about the worst part of the whole experience--the pain was intense!!!

It has been almost one year and my PF hurt about 10% of what they used to. The 10 weeks off let my left PF rest enough to heal to the point that I won't have surgery on it. The Dr. told me before the surgery that I might not ever be pain free again. I haven't been yet, but I still have hope. Would I do it again? Yes.

Write if you have more questions.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2000, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Had the same problem 2 seasons ago. DR instructed me to get ankle wraps that cover the heal and instep. Also, placed heal inserts/pads in shoes. I take 2 Advil before each game. I can now do 5-8 games daily at camp; 4-5 nights during season without much discomfort.
Stretch every morning; not just during season. Good Luck.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2000, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

All good advise. I will try each approach if I havn't tried it before. I am going to go to the orthopedic surgeon this week and see what options I have now. So far nothing has worked. I am looking forward to the basketball season, yet hope it doesn't hurry. I want to be ready. Thanks for all your help. Mike.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Thumbs up

I had PF for 2 years--the best post game treatment I could find was rolling my foot over a frozen 20oz bottle of water. After I ended the 97 season, I took the entire offseason off--no football or softball or running. It was better in 98, but still required tape on the arches. For the 99 season I found Dr. Scholls Dyna Sport inserts. They were a Godsend!!! No PF, no shin splints, and no sore legs the next day. I highly recommend them! They saved my bacon!!!
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Angry

If you have exhausted all your medical intervention and it sounds like you have, have the surgery the sooner the better!

I have gone the same route you have and i would never again go through all that crap of shots and heel pads and the pain. After my surgery I was back to work (i am on my feet all day long) within 10 days.

After surgery you can do some exercise in the swimming pool its a great Cardio work out, and will keep you in shape.

Good Luck and the sooner you make your mind up the faster you can be recovering.

------------------
Don
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Warren Poncsak
Folks, just a few pointers from experience...and this is also for those of you who may not have very bad plantar fascia or don't experience discomfort yet!!! Typically refs do not stretch the calf muscle enough and this has a direct relation with the plantar tendon. Stretch a ton! Also, ice the insertion point, under the heel, if you can handle the discomfort... directly with ice. I use styrofoam cups 3/4 filled with ice sitting in freezer. Or, for those of you in a cold climate, leave tennis balls in your trunk (or you can freeze them in your freezer...try to explain this to someone!!) and take them in the house with you after reffing and sit and watch you favorite show while rolling the ball under your foot. This cools the area and also stretches the tendon and adds flexibility. Additionally you can lay a towel flat on the floor and try to roll it up by grabbing it with your toes and pulling it toward you. This also increases blood flow to assist in repairing the area and helps with flexibility and strength I think. Remember to ice any area that you inflame asap. If using direct ice do not go as long as using ice in a towel for example. And stretch the hamstrings and hip flexors as they will also have a direct result on calf flexibility. Hope some of this helps!!!
Old Fri Nov 24, 2017, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

You have to stretch the calf repeatedly. My podiatrist gave me hard 3/4 insoles which raised my heel quarter of inch. Had shot before the orthotics. The hard insoles raised 1/4 inch took care of it for me. I did have the shot and stay off it for a month before the orthotics.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2017, 06:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Foot Rocker ...

Worked for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Medi-Gear-Foo...ntar+fasciitis
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 25, 2017, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

First post ever + Promotes some product + 17-year-old thread.

I know you were told there would be no math, but it's pretty easy to add things up here.