The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Heel against rubber

I have seen a number of pitchers start with their heel against the front of the rubber (not on or partially on as required by rule) thus when they are in their wind up and pushing they are pushing from a few inches in front of the rubber not from the rubber (again as required by rule) I have asked a few of my partners about this and they do not seem to understand what I am referring to. My interpretation is that this is an obvious illegal pitch. Talking Fed here.

Are you guys calling this????
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
I have seen a number of pitchers start with their heel against the front of the rubber (not on or partially on as required by rule) thus when they are in their wind up and pushing they are pushing from a few inches in front of the rubber not from the rubber (again as required by rule) I have asked a few of my partners about this and they do not seem to understand what I am referring to. My interpretation is that this is an obvious illegal pitch. Talking Fed here.

Are you guys calling this????
In Florida we are.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I got my FED books yesterday in the mail, I will have to look at these, I thought the rule stated that they just had to be in contact with the pitching plate (girls don't use rubbers) not on top of it. The interpertation that I have always gotten is that toeing the pitching plate is acceptable (toe on back touching plate, heal on front touching plate is ok).
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I got my FED books yesterday in the mail, I will have to look at these, I thought the rule stated that they just had to be in contact with the pitching plate (girls don't use rubbers) not on top of it. The interpertation that I have always gotten is that toeing the pitching plate is acceptable (toe on back touching plate, heal on front touching plate is ok).
No, pivot must be on or partially on.
The non-pivot does not have to be in contact (except ASA), but not in front.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

FED says on, or partially on and diagrams go on to show just a fraction of the heel on top of the plate.

ASA simply says in contact.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Reason would be when you push off, your heel would then be in the air therefore pushing from a spot other than the "pitchers plate" (it will always be a rubber to me) which would also be illegal. My foot is bigger than most female pitchers but this would gain me 6 or 7 inches.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

The rule does specifically say that the pivot foot must be on or partially on the TOP SURFACE of the pitcher's plate.

The non-pivot foot may contact the plate. The rule does not require the non-pivot foot contact (if there is any) to be with the top surface.

That's the rule. But, as a practical matter, do you have any tips for telling the difference if the pivot foot is contacting only the front vertical edge of the plate or if the pitcher's heel is 1/8" on the top surface?

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 05:24pm.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

If her heel was 1/8" on the pitchers plate and she pushed off from her toes without moving the foot forward, she would still "technically" be pushing off from a location other than the pitchers plate even though she started with a portion of her foot "on" the pitchers plate.

This is a nit I choose not to pick.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

(Rhetorical question- not aimed specifically at Andy)

The FED "pitcher foot placement diagrams" under Rule 6 show the pivot foot starting with (gauging from the scale) maybe an inch or two of the heel on top of the plate and the rest of the foot in front of it and denote this as "Legal".

Wouldn't that have about the same net effect as having 1/8" or 1/16" of the heel on top of the rubber, with respect to where the pitcher was "pushing off"?

Yes, not a nit worth picking- and, possibly not even a nit to begin with!
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
(Rhetorical question- not aimed specifically at Andy)

The FED "pitcher foot placement diagrams" under Rule 6 show the pivot foot starting with (gauging from the scale) maybe an inch or two of the heel on top of the plate and the rest of the foot in front of it and denote this as "Legal".

Wouldn't that have about the same net effect as having 1/8" or 1/16" of the heel on top of the rubber, with respect to where the pitcher was "pushing off"?

Yes, not a nit worth picking- and, possibly not even a nit to begin with!
In the same vein, if that really was a concern, would not the rule be changed to require contact with the portion/edge of the pitcher's plate away from home plate?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Honestly I think there are "nits" more minor than this that are called. Pushing from a spot 6" in front of the plate is no different than a little crow hop.

To me this is a bigger deal than say touching your hair and not rubbing it off.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...To me this is a bigger deal than say touching your hair and not rubbing it off.
What's illegal about that?

On the topic, in Fed, she has to have at least part of the pivot foot on top of the plate.

If all she does is lift the heel (no forward foot movement) from a legal starting position, I don't consider that illegal. Otherwise, no legal pitch could reasonably be made from the legal starting positions shown in the diagram!
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Dakota so you are in agreement- if she has her heel butted up against the rubber(which is not on top or partially on top) she is illegal.

Also, none of the diagrams address this in the FED book. They either show the foot on top, partially on top, or totally in front of the rubber.

By the way many think going to the hair violates the foreign substance rule. I don't call it but have seen it called many a time.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dakota so you are in agreement- if she has her heel butted up against the rubber(which is not on top or partially on top) she is illegal.
Yes, illegal in Fed.

Quote:
Also, none of the diagrams address this in the FED book. They either show the foot on top, partially on top, or totally in front of the rubber.
The rule clearly states it, however, (... the pivot foot on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher’s plate...) so there is no ambiguity as I read it.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I do not see any ambiguity either. I was merely referring to the diagrams because some people were. But in the OP scenario of heel against rubber- it is not addressed in the diagrams.

These forums are like talking to my wife, we are saying the same things just in different ways.

Thinking I will stick to my BBQ forum.