The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I found Joyce quite entertaining and informative at the same time. I really thought she did a good job.

I'll certainly miss her annual slides and discussion comparing T's and ejections by sport and talking about jacka$$ coaches and players. Always my favorite part.
Amen!
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Mark-

For two person mechanics, off of the top of my head:

* Officials switch on a foul only when the lead calls a shooting foul. The calling official goes table side (this was done here before NFHS adopted it).

* Positioning of officials on timeouts. We use the old method where officials stand at the top of the three point arc for 30 second timeouts and on the block for full time outs.

* A recommended mechanic here during pre-game is to blow the whistle when the officials enter the gym in order to prevent any shenanigans during warm ups.

I don't think there are any other differences. Hopefully another Texan can fill in anything I missed.

As far as to why, I'm sure there are some reasons but I haven't been told anything. Texas likes to do things differently.

Your association/league actually encourages this?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
It's used in several areas. Dunking is "allowed" until the officials arrive. To avoid having the officials make a tough decision on seeing the end of a dunk just as they "turn the corner" into the gym, the officials blow a whistle, wait a beat and then go on the court.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
We were encouraged in our association to do this as well.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 12:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's used in several areas. Dunking is "allowed" until the officials arrive. To avoid having the officials make a tough decision on seeing the end of a dunk just as they "turn the corner" into the gym, the officials blow a whistle, wait a beat and then go on the court.
Well said, Bob.

I just work here. That's what they tell us they expect, that's what I do. I don't mind it as it is preventative in nature, especially for those 7th Grade girl's games that have a tendency to turn into dunk contests. (Channeling my inner Padgett)
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

so just as you walk onto the floor you just call attention to yourself and "announce" your arrival by blowing the whistle? that seems a bit odd! but hey if in rome right?!
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We train our officials exactly the opposite. We tell them to simply walk out on the court. And if they see someone dunking while doing so, immediately call the technical foul. We also tell the coaches in a pre-season meeting that it will be done that way. We don't think it's a tough decision; we think it's a no-brainer. See a dunk..call a dunk. If you're not sure that it actually was a dunk though when you're walking in, don't call it(which holds true for the entire warm-up).

And heaven help the official who tries to pretend that they didn't see an obvious dunk.

The rationale is that the rule has been in the book for umpty-ump years, and everybody in the gym knows that.

Nothing the matter imo with other areas handling it differently though, as long as they are consistent. At least, they're not ignoring dunks during the warm-up.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 11:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not a fan of that which is why I do not do it. What I will do is not come out looking for such things either. If we see it we call it. Most of the time I have to tell kids to stay off the rim because they are close instead of having to call something at all. I am just trying to start the game with a jump ball, not penalize a kid for something iffy. Then again that is me and it has worked that way for years.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

But what is a dunk? Sure we all know the 2 handed rim rocker with the player swinging from the rim is a dunk. But what about the 'finger roll' dunk? You know the kid who lays the ball over the front of the rim, then tries to grab the rim so people THINK he dunked?? Or what if the player is above the rim and as he drops it down into the basket, his hand/wrists bump into the rim but they do not grasp it???
Ok, I dont see this much on the NCAA W side, and I can neither confirm not deny personally participating in ANY of the above posted scenarios!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
But what is a dunk? Sure we all know the 2 handed rim rocker with the player swinging from the rim is a dunk. But what about the 'finger roll' dunk? You know the kid who lays the ball over the front of the rim, then tries to grab the rim so people THINK he dunked?? Or what if the player is above the rim and as he drops it down into the basket, his hand/wrists bump into the rim but they do not grasp it???
See NFHS rule 4-16. The player has or attempt to drive, force or push the ball down. That's all you need to know. Judgment call. Any doubt, don't call it. Simply dropping the ball down has never been a "T".

Grabbing the ring is a technical foul also. Touching the ring isn't unless you feel that the player is doing so deliberately to vibrate the basket/backboard and put on a show. Handle with care.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
See NFHS rule 4-16. The player has or attempt to drive, force or push the ball down. That's all you need to know. Judgment call. Any doubt, don't call it. Simply dropping the ball down has never been a "T".

Grabbing the ring is a technical foul also. Touching the ring isn't unless you feel that the player is doing so deliberately to vibrate the basket/backboard and put on a show. Handle with care.
Yes yes, but is it a DUNK?!?! Ground bound hoopsters the world around are dying to know!!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

One other mechanic used in Texas is no long switches in the backcourt. If Old lead going to new trail calls a foul in the backcourt, he/she stays there and administers the throw-in, if not in the bonus.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

This is why I tell them to knock that off when they are putting the ball in the hole that way. I just do not want someone to forget or get up their and feel they need to hang on the rim for any reason.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
One other mechanic used in Texas is no long switches in the backcourt. If Old lead going to new trail calls a foul in the backcourt, he/she stays there and administers the throw-in, if not in the bonus.
Thanks Frank.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is why I tell them to knock that off when they are putting the ball in the hole that way. I just do not want someone to forget or get up their and feel they need to hang on the rim for any reason.

Peace

I'm with you on this. PLAYERS know what a dunk is, WE know what a dunk is, so long as the dunk is not a "rim rocker" then I would not take notice. Common sense stuff imo