The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up ESPN OTL on Officials

Hey fellas i found this video/article on ESPN! Check it out!

I especially liked what John Adams said

"The ideal official," Adams said, "would be a 35-year old guy that can run like a deer and that has 20 years experience, which would mean he would have to start at 15 and that's not happening."

good insight

NCAA basketball officials must balance real jobs, family and part-time officiating duties - ESPN

oh and has anyone here ever attended this camp before?!
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have attended the Dale Kelley version of this camp. This was the first year of Shaw running a camp under this position so I did not attend this year because of a few conflicts.

But I did like the piece and think it did reflect a realistic view of the camp scene. Not sure they showed what to do to fix or if there was a problem with officiating.

For the record John Adams seemed to like the video as he was in the piece and sent an email to all those registered with the NCAA site.

Funny I recognized a couple of people at that camp.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fair Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
"The ideal official," Adams said, "would be a 35-year old guy that can run like a deer and that has 20 years experience, which would mean he would have to start at 15 and that's not happening."!
How about a 35-year old gal?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 09:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about a 35-year old gal?
It would not take her that long to get to that level if she was any good. The story did not go to a Woman's camp either.

Also Adams is not over Woman's basketball and I can tell you he does not care much for it.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Train 'em young

Unfortunately, people who meet Adams description are usually playing until they are 22 years old and it takes them a few years beyond that to get certified/licensed/patched or whatever you call it in your neck of this Great Land of Ours.

Most organizations do the initial book training in the fall, when college hoop players are starting practice and going to school and have no time for it. Plus, the local chapter is often in a location that students without cars have a tough time getting to

Why not hold some initial training in the summer for college athletes interested in reffing after their graduation? They could then work as accredited officials in spring and summer leagues and AAU and gain experience.

It would shave years off making them ready for NCAA (or even high school varsity) games which they could then start to do while still in very good shape.

Unfortunately, many accrediting/licensing/patching groups don't really want a lot of young, athletic officials, with experience tempered by actually playing the game at a high level, for those plum varsity and state tourney games, so aren't going to make it easier any time soon.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:20am
Huck Finn

The fact that coaches are comfortable with veteran officials - regardless of whether they are doing the best job - plus the fact that veteran officials will not give up games willingly cancels everything else out.

Mr. Adams seems to be bringing about change slowly, but the science behind officiating isn't necessarily supporting some veteran officials and it is something seldom mentioned.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 01:05pm
Huck Finn

The fact that coaches are comfortable with veteran officials - regardless of whether they are doing the best job - plus the fact that veteran officials will not give up games willingly cancels everything else out.

Mr. Adams seems to be bringing about change slowly, but the science behind officiating isn't necessarily supporting some veteran officials and it is something seldom mentioned.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

That is an interesting word. It begs the question: Is officiating an Art or a Science? I'm feeling vaklempt, tawk amungst youselves!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I think the NCAA in a whole is looking to have everyone apply the rules to the game instead of ones own personal philosopies or what they have been taught.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Until the NCAA takes over all conference assigning or has supervisors that buy into the NCAA philosophy, then that is not going to happen. And these seems to be the case as it was said at a camp I attended earlier this year that Shaw was going to have a little different approach to his staff than the previous supervisor. So if others are like Shaw then Adams will be happy. But the problem is there are still guys around that want things done their way and get upset when officials apply certain rules to the letter.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

When in Rome do as the Romans ???????

JRut -

I couldn't agree with you more. Each supervisor has his own philosophy.

Back East, Forte has all his officials looking like clones of the NBA staff.

Larry Rose wants you to use only the mechanics in the manual and Lopes/

Greenwood cut their teeth in the Big East, so you know what that means,

no blood no foul !!!!!!!

The only way all collegeiate officials will ever get on the same page is if the

NCAA takes the whole boat over and we know that will never happen.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Why not hold some initial training in the summer for college athletes interested in reffing after their graduation? They could then work as accredited officials in spring and summer leagues and AAU and gain experience.

Not if they're on scholarship.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Not if they're on scholarship.
only if they're getting paid would it matter...but if its all "community service" then its a non issue right?!