The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Oak Hill--Norcross game on ESPN--calling all Georgia officials

I have a question about the official’s mechanics. The game is being played on the Georgia Tech campus so it is more than likely the officials are from Georgia. I have a question about the mechanics used. I personally do not have a problem with their mechanics in any way but I noticed that all the officials have not used the stop clock signal for out of bounds plays. And I even saw "no closely guarded" signal from the Trail official early in the game. Are these mechanics allowed in Georgia or is it something that these officials might use on their own.

BTW, I really like the way the officials are not calling a lot of cheap calls. They are letting the players play and letting players play through the contact. This is what I think should be the way the game is called especially with players that have Division 1 talent all over the floor.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:45pm
Huck Finn

Would someone really say something if you didn't use the stop clock signal or used the "no closely guarded" signal in Illinois?
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes they would. This is why I asked.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:49pm
Huck Finn

Wow! There are a lot more problems in high school basketball than this. Let's start with all the ball watching (not talking about you) that goes on. Will eliminating ball watching or making sure everyone uses the stop clock signal make the high school game better? I think we know the answer to that one.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Wow! There are a lot more problems in high school basketball than this. Let's start with all the ball watching (not talking about you) that goes on. Will eliminating ball watching or making sure everyone uses the stop clock signal make the high school game better? I think we know the answer to that one.
Tommy,

I did not say this was a big problem in any way. I am just asking if this is an issue in that state. If officials in this kind of game used this mechanics here, it would bring a lot of whispers and complaining from evaluators and some assignors, as well as many officials in the peanut gallery. I personally would love to add those mechanics to the NF system or adopted by my state, but they are not allowed at this point. I even get in certain games and do not stop the clock (like I did tonight). I just do not use these mechanics when the lights are the brightest or I know there is a potential to be observed. I just wanted to know if this was even a big deal considering all the comments I hear on this site about how NF mechanics should be used at all times and you should not work games at the HS level without perfect mechanics (of course I am being sarcastic). You can read a couple of posts recently and see that for yourself. I was just wondering and basically the officials called a very good game. I understood why they made the calls they did and the reason they did not make calls. It was a very well officiated game from my point of view.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

All 3 officials work college and this is the reason for them not stopping the clock. Stopping the clock IS a Georgia High School signal however it is not enforced as much as other states. Sure it would be nice to have everyone use high school mechanics in high school games but if the plays are called correctly who cares! This is where the "not closely guarded" signal came from as well.

I thought they did a great job!

Last edited by cford; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 01:35pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

In Georgia, we are encouraged to use NF mechanics, but stopping the clock or not there is not a high on the priority list. Getting the calls right is seen as more critical. I agree with others the officals in the game last night did a great job.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
There's a war in Iraq. Based on your standard, what business do we have discussing high school basketball?

Rut asked about their mechanics. There's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to answer his questions, why post in the thread? There's no reason to criticize because he has has very valid questions. Start a thread on ball hawking if that's what you want to do.

Back to the post:

The officials were obviously college officials who probably also work high school basketball.
  • Walking while reporting
  • Failure to stop the clock with a raised hand on violations
  • "not" closely guarded
  • no hand behind the head on a PC foul
Here in NC, they would have gotten an a$$ chewing at halftime if the NCHSAA supervisor had been in attendance. I have no problem with the way they officiated the game. But this is a HIGH SCHOOL basketball game, played under NFHS rules. If you don't want to use HS mechanics, fine. Give the game back so that officials that use the proper mechanics for this level game can work the game. The game can be well officiated and still use HS mechanics.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I didn't see the game but I think it's safe to say that these 3 guys were there because the assignor responsible for the game wanted them there. In fact, I would bet they each got a personal call from the assignor asking them to hold the date for this game well before the season.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pissing contest.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
In Georgia, we are encouraged to use NF mechanics, but stopping the clock or not there is not a high on the priority list. Getting the calls right is seen as more critical. I agree with others the officals in the game last night did a great job.
Jeff isn't saying that the mechanics are more important than the calls. If the game had been poorly called, then that would be mentioned in IL far more than the mechanics.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Why are college officials doing an important, high-profile HS game?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All 3 officials work college and this is the reason for them not stopping the clock.
No, this isn't the reason they are not using the "stop clock" signal; it's the reason they are in the habit of not using it or maybe even feel they do not have to use it.

Quote:
Stopping the clock is a Georgia High School signal however it is not enforced as much as other states.
This signal is a National Federation signal. Working a game under NFHS rules requires the use of approved signals regardless of the state.

Quote:
Sure it would be nice to have everyone using high school mechanics in high school games but if the plays are called correctly who cares!
Well, in Pennsylvania, many people. Especially those who determine post season assignments.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Yes, here in MN we would be "scolded" for not using NFHS mechanics as well. I think those officials did one heck of a job and the only people that noticed the variances in signals were the assignors, post-season graders, and us officials.

I have this problem doing a HS game the night after a college game for the first couple minutes until my partner gives me "the look"
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Here in GA, the individual from the state that assigns the post-season was a college official for what I understand to be over 2 decades. Thus, he allows the collegiate mechanics. The mentality is much more along these lines, as opposed to what some would consider "text-book" refereeing. It is much more about plays, communication, and handling the game. He hopes and encourages college officials to "come back" and do high school games, because they can handle whatever comes. In fact, all 3 officials that did the 5A title game were DI officials. This is not intended to knock any other state, it is just a different way of doing things. We have our issues too, but just wanted to provide some background info.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 10:22am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm not attempting to invalidate or validate anyone's point about the proper use of NFHS mechanics but...

These official were not beamed down from outer space to work this game. Do you really think this is the first time these officials did not use proper mechanics in a HS game? These officials were hand-picked for this assignment and the person(s) who hand-picked these officials had seen these officials work other HS games in which they didn't use proper NFHS mechanics.

Obviously NHFS mechanics were not high on the priority list in determining who should work this game.

Now, it's all together possible that someone in the NFHS head office may give a call down to Georgia's state office but let's not have this discussion as if the assignor(s) were not already aware of the mechanics employed by these officials.