The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 02:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - we want to give away basketballs

In a few weeks, my city is holding a birthday celebration which includes a picnic at a local park. Our local kids rec league has applied for a space to put a table up to give out registration info. We want to locate our table next to the basketball court at the park. We have a huge number of mini-basketballs with our logo on them. What we will do is have kids shoot a regular basketball at a hoop on the court. If they make it, we'll give them one of the mini-balls. If they miss, we'll probably let them keep shooting until they make a basket and then give them a ball.

We also intend to ask for donations for our "scholarship" fund. This is a fund we use to cover the registration fee for kids from low-income families. Even though we're a non-profit run by all volunteers, we just can't waive the fee for them because we have to cover our costs which are assessed per kid (gym rental, insurance, jerseys, etc.). A local restaurant just told us they're going to donate a percentage of their gross sales from one night a month during our season for this fund. It should be enough for about 10 scholarships. We usually wind up giving out about 50 per year and the fund is funded mostly by registration late fees. There's a cutoff for registration and if someone registers after the cutoff, they must pay a late fee.

I should know in a day or so if we are assigned a space.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 11:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
We also intend to ask for donations for our "scholarship" fund. This is a fund we use to cover the registration fee for kids from low-income families.
One of the Rec Leagues I belong to pays me, and the other refs, for participating in training sessions. It's mostly meant to spark interest and as a paycheck for the local kids. I usually run/help run the sessions.

Last year, the "Assigner," (an Office employee of the Association), misunderstood me when I said that I would donate my time for the Evening "Book/Rules Session" to the League's Scholarship Fund and took it to mean that I would donate ALL the money from ALL our training sessions - which turned out to be a tighty sum.

Oh well, it went to a good cause (and I wrote it off on my taxes).

Hope someone (actually several kids) enjoyed it!
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 12:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Just got confirmation we will be participating in the event. It's sponsored by a local American Legion post and by our City. It starts with a parade in the morning honoring our veterans then a family "Fun Fest" with games, BBQ, concert and fireworks. I get to schedule our Board members. I better hope I remember to take my allergy pills.

For those of you in the Portland area, maybe you'll stop by and bring the family. It's Saturday, Sep 11 and the parade starts at Tigard City Hall at 9:00 and goes to Cook Park on SW Durham Road where all the other activities will take place starting at 11:30.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 01:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One of the Rec Leagues I belong to pays me, and the other refs, for participating in training sessions. It's mostly meant to spark interest and as a paycheck for the local kids. I usually run/help run the sessions.

Last year, the "Assigner," (an Office employee of the Association), misunderstood me when I said that I would donate my time for the Evening "Book/Rules Session" to the League's Scholarship Fund and took it to mean that I would donate ALL the money from ALL our training sessions - which turned out to be a tighty sum.

Oh well, it went to a good cause (and I wrote it off on my taxes).

Hope someone (actually several kids) enjoyed it!
You mean they were stingy?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 02:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hey Gapper.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
A Diebler reference in the other thread and Mr. Spelling and Vocabulary Man here..... slow day or just warming up for the season!?

And, no, that's not the cheapest league I work for........
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 02:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
A Diebler reference in the other thread and Mr. Spelling and Vocabulary Man here..... slow day or just warming up for the season!?

And, no, that's not the cheapest league I work for........
We just had our first pre-season meeting last night.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
The only correct usage of the term 'tighty' of which I am aware pairs it with 'whities'.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 02:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The only correct usage of the term 'tighty' of which I am aware pairs it with 'whities'.
The DIY weekend warrior is also aware of the phrase 'Lefty Loosey. Righty Tighty'.