Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456
I know that nothing is said on a fair ball, but I was always taught that an umpire should just point to fair territory, not verbalizing "fair ball"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You are correct. On any fair/foul call, the calling umpire should point the appropriate direction. Foul balls should also be verbalized.

In my experience, an umpire who doesn't signal is a newer umpire, so he is might not have seen it.
Yep, I stepped in it again... I focused solely on the verbal part and ignored the part about the point. You're right. Of course an umpire should point a fair ball. Mea culpa. Sorry.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You still didn't address my assumption directly. I'll change now, and assume that you weren't participating in chiding the official; at least on that particular play.

I'm a little testy about this subject this summer due to a situation here.

1. U (2 man) makes OOB call on end line opposite table in the 2nd half, ball to the defensive team.
2. R2 (for next game) is walking along the same endline, en route to the table to watch the rest of this game.
3. Coach of offensive team complains about call, ending with "Everyone saw it but you."
4. R steps in and warns coach to cool it.
5. R2, now sitting behind the offensive bench, exclaims "that was a crappy call."
6. R calls T on coach, as the comment came just as he turned away.
7. R retracts T after finding it was the official who made the comment.

While this situation was made worse by the fact that the official was wearing his stripes, in my opinion, the worst thing an official can do is bad mouth another official during a contest; especially when those around him know he's an official, regardless of the sport.
Holy cow. Yeah, that guy would not work in my area or for anyone who knew me ever again. Good grief. It's one thing to say something around "the tree", or here. Completely another around participants. If I'm watching a game, and the official blows a call, and someone who knows I'm an official asks me about it - the very most you'll get out of me is "He's got a LOT better view of that play than we do - there's a reason you don't umpire from the stands"

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
the very most you'll get out of me is "He's got a LOT better view of that play than we do - there's a reason you don't umpire from the stands"
That's not bad: avoids the 2 lies people tell ("I didn't see it," and "Looked like he got it right" for an obviously blown call).

Another one I like is, "I don't think I saw the whole play," which provides a report about me rather than a comment on him or his call.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
But I'll bet you have spent entire evenings listening to a bunch of LeBron/Phil Jackson wanna-bes cry about foul calls or non-calls.

The situation is the same. No matter the sport or level, what he did was unprofessional, IMO.

Prolly so. The ump seems to have lowered himself to your level. But you seem intent on ignoring the behavior of your teammates. I wonder why that is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Aug 03, 2010 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Prolly so. The ump seems to have lowered himself to your level. But you seem intent on ignoring the behavior of your teammates. I wonder why that is.
Hey, I can only control what I do on the field. We're all adults. We can make decisions for ourselves. If they choose to complain about a call, that's their perogative (sp?). They've never officiated anything, so we can't hold them to a higher standard.