The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Double Foul

Please advise how game is to be restarted on a double foul situation:
1) White team has control of the ball and there is 7 seconds left on the shot clock. White 4 and Black 6 foul each other. Referee blows whistle for the double foul. White team are in the bonus situation.
2) In the meantime a basket is scored by White 8 as the whistle is blown.
How do you restart the game? please advise. Cheers- Nick
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Nick do you want the NFHS, NCAA, or FIBA rulings?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

I referee to Fiba rules and all I could find in the Fiba rulebook is that after the fouls were reported to the scorebench that we must then go to the arrow and that there will be no shots. If there was a field goal at that instant, the basket will count and ball then to be inbounded by the other team at the baseline. I could not find anything in the Fiba casebook either. We had this situation on the weekend and I wanted the team in the bonus to take the 2 shots but was overruled by our experts. I even checked out the rules on special situations to no avail. My rationale was that the penalties were different and if different should be administered as what I thought should have been done.
I was just wondering what the other codes of basketball refereeing would do.
cheers- Nick
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
I referee to Fiba rules and all I could find in the Fiba rulebook is that after the fouls were reported to the scorebench that we must then go to the arrow and that there will be no shots. If there was a field goal at that instant, the basket will count and ball then to be inbounded by the other team at the baseline. I could not find anything in the Fiba casebook either. We had this situation on the weekend and I wanted the team in the bonus to take the 2 shots but was overruled by our experts. I even checked out the rules on special situations to no avail. My rationale was that the penalties were different and if different should be administered as what I thought should have been done.
cheers- Nick
FIBA rules are pretty much the same as in the other codes. Look at article 35.

If a double foul is called, you have to distinguish between two cases: (a) team control; (b) no team control.

In case (a) there's no basket allowed (even if there is a continuous movement, the ball becomes dead immediately); after reporting the fouls, the play is resumed with a throw-in for the team in control. This applies also when the double foul is on a dead ball and one team is entitled to the throw-in. The shot clock is not reset.

Case (b) happens when the double foul is after the ball started its flight for a try. If the basket is scored the play is resumed with a throw-in from the endline for the non scoring team. Otherwise, since there's no ball control, play is resumed according to the possession arrow. If the try didn't strike the ring and the arrow favors to the same team which had possession before the try, the shot clock is not reset.

In other words, play is resumed at POI (though the rules don't have this concept).

In case of a double foul you don't look at the respective penalties. Even if only one of the teams is in penalty situation (more than 4 fouls in the period), the play is resumed as said. Your experts were right.

Pay attention that there is no such beast as a double technical foul in FIBA. A double foul is only when two opponents commit a personal foul against each other at approximately the same time. In all other cases the officials must determine the exact chronology of the various infractions and the penalties (after possible cancellation of identical ones) are administered in order of occurrence.

Ciao
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
cheers- Nick
Report the fouls and resume at POI.

So, in situation 1, give white the ball back with 7 seconds on the clock.

In situation 2, count the basket and give the ball to black with the ability to run the end-line.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2010, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Many thanks for the help.
cheers- Nick