The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
Last night, girls tournament, A1 at the line for the 2nd of 2 FT. A2 and B1 begin sticking there arms in the lane and end up smacking each other fairly hard. I blew the whistle and called a double foul and went to the ap arrow. At the half, my partner said he would have blown the whistle and given them a warning. I also thought i could have called a a double T since it was a dead ball- I'd like to get some opinions....
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RX Ref
Last night, girls tournament, A1 at the line for the 2nd of 2 FT. A2 and B1 begin sticking there arms in the lane and end up smacking each other fairly hard. I blew the whistle and called a double foul and went to the ap arrow. At the half, my partner said he would have blown the whistle and given them a warning. I also thought i could have called a a double T since it was a dead ball- I'd like to get some opinions....
IF A1 had the ball, it was live, not dead.

I probably wouldn't have had a foul, but you were there and I wasn't.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RX Ref
If A1 did not have the ball, the fouls should have been T's; see bob's post above.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 04:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If A1 didn't have the ball at her disposal yet, it was a dead ball and you ignore contact unless intentional or flagrant. Probably a warning could have been given here.

If A1 had the ball, it was live and I would only give a foul (or a double) if the amount of contact was at least at the same level I had established during the game for the level at which I was calling a foul.

It's kind of hard to give a warning (just a verbal command without blowing your whistle or stopping play) when A1 is ready to shoot, or worse yet, in her shooting motion, since it can disconcert the shooter - and it's not fair to her to make her stop for a warning in which you would blow your whistle.

If, in your opinion, the contact deserved a foul, it probably was best to call it if the ball was live.