The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

camp do's & dont's

Plan on attending a couple of camps in the upcoming weeks>What is the biggest piece of advice anyone can give maybe what there mainly looking for and what is an automatic no-no.Any info would be appreciated.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

The most important no-no --

Do not EVER EVER reply "yea, but..." or any variation thereof. No matter if you disagree who have been told the complete opposite, say thank you and incorporate it into that camp -- and take it with you if you think its useful or leave it at camp if its not.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2010, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanx im always willing to listen and very respectful thought I was going to a camp where there may be on court traing.My mentor told me about the camp and told told me I should attend.(said i was ready)Couple of guys said it would be helpful,turns out its more of a showcase camp and I'm a little nervous.Just trying to get some info from guys that may have attended some of these camps.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 04:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Some of this depends on the type of camp you are attending, but this is really what works no matter what. If this is a college camp where they are hiring people for a league this works well too. A teaching camp might be a little more laid back, but at those types of camps people can and will recommend people to others that actually give games. So it is best to do some of these things and more if need be.
  1. Hustle
    You cannot defend not hustling. You will get credit for doing this even if you do not know what you are completely doing. It shows character and shows you take what you are doing seriously.
  2. Always listen to clinicians
    Do this when you are working and when you are not working. It is always a good idea if there is a court where you will work to watch a game or two before. Then you can learn what they want you to do and you follow it completely. And if you see a clinician(s) talking to guys that just worked, go to that conversation.
  3. Do not hold auxiliary conversations when clinicians are talking
    You do not want to be talking to other officials at least right in the court area. It just looks bad as there is always a "know it all" that is trying to tell people what to do and have no idea what is expected.
  4. Clinicians do not care what else you have been told before.
    This drives guys crazy. They do not care what other camps you have been to or what those have told you before. Just do what is asked at the camp. You will not always agree, but never tell them..."Jeff Rutledge told me....." because they will ask who that is or may not respect that person. Even if it is someone that is big time they still may not care who that person is. Just do what they are teaching and then do what works when you leave.
  5. Pick up pennies.
    This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 08:47am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Some of this depends on the type of camp you are attending, but this is really what works no matter what. If this is a college camp where they are hiring people for a league this works well too. A teaching camp might be a little more laid back, but at those types of camps people can and will recommend people to others that actually give games. So it is best to do some of these things and more if need be.
  1. Hustle
    You cannot defend not hustling. You will get credit for doing this even if you do not know what you are completely doing. It shows character and shows you take what you are doing seriously.
  2. Always listen to clinicians
    Do this when you are working and when you are not working. It is always a good idea if there is a court where you will work to watch a game or two before. Then you can learn what they want you to do and you follow it completely. And if you see a clinician(s) talking to guys that just worked, go to that conversation.
  3. Do not hold auxiliary conversations when clinicians are talking
    You do not want to be talking to other officials at least right in the court area. It just looks bad as there is always a "know it all" that is trying to tell people what to do and have no idea what is expected.
  4. Clinicians do not care what else you have been told before.
    This drives guys crazy. They do not care what other camps you have been to or what those have told you before. Just do what is asked at the camp. You will not always agree, but never tell them..."Jeff Rutledge told me....." because they will ask who that is or may not respect that person. Even if it is someone that is big time they still may not care who that person is. Just do what they are teaching and then do what works when you leave.
  5. Pick up pennies.
    This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told.

Peace
This is GREAT advice. Also, try out the advice you are given. Like Jeff said, not all of it will work for you, but wou will never know unless you try it out.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
leave. [*]Pick up pennies.
This is probably the biggest. You will not agree with everything people tell you. You might even be told mechanics that do not apply to the level you work. Deal with it. Many times clinicians are telling you things that work for them. It may not work for you and that is OK. You do not need to have a debate with them about it. Just listen and pick up little things. If you can pick up a little thing from each clinician than you have got your monies worth. You do not need to completely take on everything you are told. [/LIST]
Peace

Not a basketball guy, but this is darn good advice for all sports clinics/camps.....I go to more than my share of baseball clinics, looking for that "Nugget"..........or penny as you put it....If I come away with one item that makes me better it was all worth it....
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

As much as some of these camps cost there should be something bigger than 'penny's'
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like This ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As much as some of these camps cost there should be something bigger than 'penny's'

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 04:01pm.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 11:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump View Post
Not a basketball guy, but this is darn good advice for all sports clinics/camps.....I go to more than my share of baseball clinics, looking for that "Nugget"..........or penny as you put it....If I come away with one item that makes me better it was all worth it....
For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works. Basically if all you do is pick up one penny from someone you are better off than you were before. You do not have to accept everything someone tells you. I have looked at camps and life through this lens and it works for me.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the record I got this little "nugget" from someone else. I was at a conference where someone associated with ABA told this little story about picking up pennies. I have used it every since and it works. Basically if all you do is pick up one penny from someone you are better off than you were before. You do not have to accept everything someone tells you. I have looked at camps and life through this lens and it works for me.

Peace
Now, if evaluators would just start acting like they are handing out pennies instead of 20 dollar bills.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Larks posted this a few years back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
1. No Hands on Hips EVER inside the lines
2. Don't dribble the ball on the court during a dead ball. You are not a player
3. When reporting fouls - use the correct signal. If he pushed, its a push. If we held, its a hold. etc.
4. Don't Chew Gum
5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams
6. Trail to Lead - look back, don't just run down to trail with your back to the players.
7. If T is beat, C pick up and ref to baseline until Trail can get there.
8. T stay behind the ball in the back court
9. Lead referees 99% of the post on strong side
10. Block / Charge in the post - Fist only, yield to primary (pregame this play)
11. Call in your primary
12. Loose ball on the floor turns into scrum - TWO noses 5" from the ball
13. Technical Fouls - KNOW THE RULES
14. Intentional / Hard Fouls do not need a huddle. It is or its not immediately.
15. Talk to Coaches - he who handles coaches moves career forward.
16. No Bad Tosses - U1 blow it back.
17. When you kick a call, and we all do, your next two whistles should be 110% calls. This will get you back in the groove
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
19. Huddles - at 1st Media and then end of game.
20. A block is a block. A charge is a charge an if there is ANY question what it is, its a CHARGE
21. When reporting fouls, do so from a spot on the floor where no player can pass between you and the table
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the coaches box.
23. Be on floor at 30. Check out the court. Find things that will get you in trouble later so you are not surprised. IOW, dont just stand there.

Some other items I picked up

If you want to be one of the 96 - you better be in the correct free throw position on first of 2.

Camp: Issues present themselves - those who handle them, distinguish themselves.

Camp: Be Ready. There are no warm up games in camp when you are there trying to get hired. If you take the first game to "warm up" you will fall behind.

Camp: Looking for leaders. Not U2s

Camp: Deal with Coaches - control your game.

Camp: Get better game to game. It will be noticed.

Other tidbits I wrote down:

Look for opportunities to rotate.
Use your voice / Have a strong Voice
No out of primary calls unless they are must gets.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Fantastic input. Thanks, All.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh17 View Post
now, if evaluators would just start acting like they are handing out pennies instead of 20 dollar bills. :d
rofl!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Another thing -- and this is for NEXT YEAR --

Take notes and write them down -- revisit them during the year...

but more importantly, revisit them before you go to the same camp NEXT YEAR. The clinicians, if they are good, will remember where you were and needed to work on last year and will notice if you've spent the year working on them.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here are my $.02

1. Referee your primary, when ball is not in primary, do not ball watch. Find the match ups in your area and commit to them 100% of the time.
2. Trust your partners, if they pass on a call that you think that you see, pass on it too. If you are going to go fishing outside of your primary, make sure it is a non basketball play of something that the primary official may not have a look at.
3. Step down on every shot from C and T.
4. All rebounding fouls should come from C and T. Work very hard at not calling this foul from L.
5. Mirror signals, this is a hard one to do but if your partner calls a foul and it is close to your primary just put a fist in the air and no whistle. This helps to sell the call to coaches and players.
6. Talk to players and coaches, help them to not call game interupters.
7. Have a patient whistle. If the ball goes in the hole and players played through the contact, play on.
8. Hustle
9. Be in position, move with a purpose to see between players in your primary.
10. Listen