The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

D1 Camp

I need some advise. I recently got invited to a D1 camp in the midwest. Some of the clinicians will be Gerry Pollard, Steve Welmer, Brad Ferrie and other March madness officials along with many Big XII officials.

The camp is $550 to go to. Here is the problem. This is my 3rd year officiating and I am 20 years old. I have been in college basketball for 1 year working the NAIA D2 level. Is it worth my time to go and see where I stand up or would I just be spinning my wheels going? Come on vets, give me some good advise
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:12pm
Esteemed Participant

A question back for you: Why would you NOT go?

If you are thinking you're too young - don't. You might not get hired to work a D-I conference, but there will be people there who can get you into D-II or III conferences, and you will put yourself on some D-I assignors "radars"...how is that a bad thing?

Worried about going and screwing up? We all worry about that. The benefit for you is that you're young! They expect that from the young ones and are more willing to work with/help you move along...

Worried about the $$$...can't help you there. That's an expensive camp - but they pretty much all are these days.

Go! Have fun! Learn! Get your name and face out there...
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:16pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
You might not get hired to work a D-I conference, but there will be people there who can get you into D-II or III conferences, and you will put yourself on some D-I assignors "radars"...how is that a bad thing?
I agree completely with Rocky. If you can spare the money, now is the time to get your face in front of the assignors who can move you along.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get "invited"? Was it a blanket email to 200 guys? Or did someone from the camp contact you directly? The answer to those questions may give some indication of your prospects at the camp.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's worth it just to learn the proper pants adjustment procedures from Welmer.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Coordinators from other college conferences(DII, NAIA, JUCO) in the mid west selected the guys from there conference. They sent out the first email giving a little detail and asked if you were interested in the camp, after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
Coordinators from other college conferences(DII, NAIA, JUCO) in the mid west selected the guys from there conference. They sent out the first email giving a little detail and asked if you were interested in the camp, after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.
At your age, if you can afford it, a definite "YES".
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.[/QUOTE]

Based on the fact that it took a recommendation to get on the first list and then there was a second round of recommending to get the actual invite you should accept the fact that one or more assignors feel you are "ready" to gain from the "D1 Camp" experience.

Find the Money and go.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think we should take up a collection to help this young lad out.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a college student so those student loans will come in handy for this
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Shoot, I'll sponsor you if we can work out a written agreement to get a return on my investmest.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

I am also 20... I am going to a D1 camp this summer. I was given the same advice others are giving on this forum. As long as you can afford to go, there is really no reason to stay at home.

I will gladly accept any sponsors...
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I need some advise. I recently got invited to a D1 camp in the midwest. Some of the clinicians will be Gerry Pollard, Steve Welmer, Brad Ferrie and other March madness officials along with many Big XII officials.

The camp is $550 to go to. Here is the problem. This is my 3rd year officiating and I am 20 years old. I have been in college basketball for 1 year working the NAIA D2 level. Is it worth my time to go and see where I stand up or would I just be spinning my wheels going? Come on vets, give me some good advise
Dale Kelley's camp? Its a great experience. Advice - Bring pants. It says shorts are ok but everyone there treats this camp like a job interview. Look your best and thank everyone for their feedback whether you like it or not. Do not argue any points with any clinicians. If they give you an adjustment they want you to make, make it immediately. Ie - where you stand on the court in a certain situation.

I would say go. At 20 you are investing in getting on their radar. You may have to go several times to get picked up so, the sooner you get started the better.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The financial aid office should have short-term loans available. I used those a few times when I was in school.

Go go go!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Go dude!!!
Just go out and call your game.. Dont change anything..
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 09:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list.
And you had to ask us if you should go?!?! GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Dont change anything..
Except what they tell you to change. As someone else said, you'll be given a lot of comments/critiques. Incorporate as many of them as you can while you're still at the camp. If you really hate them, you can also stop using them when you get home. But you want to show that you are willing to listen, learn and adapt.

Good luck.