Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Back From Camp....

Stuff from camp this weekend....

1. No Hands on Hips EVER inside the lines
2. Don't dribble the ball on the court during a dead ball. You are not a player
3. When reporting fouls - use the correct signal. If he pushed, its a push. If we held, its a hold. etc.
4. Don't Chew Gum
5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams
6. Trail to Lead - look back, don't just run down to trail with your back to the players.
7. If T is beat, C pick up and ref to baseline until Trail can get there.
8. T stay behind the ball in the back court
9. Lead referees 99% of the post on strong side
10. Block / Charge in the post - Fist only, yield to primary (pregame this play)
11. Call in your primary
12. Loose ball on the floor turns into scrum - TWO noses 5" from the ball
13. Technical Fouls - KNOW THE RULES
14. Intentional / Hard Fouls do not need a huddle. It is or its not immediately.
15. Talk to Coaches - he who handles coaches moves career forward.
16. No Bad Tosses - U1 blow it back.
17. When you kick a call, and we all do, your next two whistles should be 110% calls. This will get you back in the groove
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
19. Huddles - at 1st Media and then end of game.
20. A block is a block. A charge is a charge an if there is ANY question what it is, its a CHARGE
21. When reporting fouls, do so from a spot on the floor where no player can pass between you and the table
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the coaches box.
23. Be on floor at 30. Check out the court. Find things that will get you in trouble later so you are not surprised. IOW, dont just stand there.

Some other items I picked up

If you want to be one of the 96 - you better be in the correct free throw position on first of 2.

Camp: Issues present themselves - those who handle them, distinguish themselves.

Camp: Be Ready. There are no warm up games in camp when you are there trying to get hired. If you take the first game to "warm up" you will fall behind.

Camp: Looking for leaders. Not U2s

Camp: Deal with Coaches - control your game.

Camp: Get better game to game. It will be noticed.

Other tidbits I wrote down:

Look for opportunities to rotate.
Use your voice / Have a strong Voice
No out of primary calls unless they are must gets.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Couple more....

No Cheapies on the bigs

An finally -

Have a consistent and prepared pre-game and captains meeting
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Good list. I don't understand the point being made by #12. Could you elaborate?
Also please state what exactly is the "correct FT position" on the 1st of 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks

If you want to be one of the 96 - you better be in the correct free throw position on first of 2.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
No Cheapies on the bigs
But it's okay if the player is a guard???

I don't like that line at all. Why not just say that all foul calls should be solid?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

12 - when we have a multiple players on the floor fighting for the ball, he wants 2 officials on top of that play - right there - helping players up, preventative officiating etc. Player piles are where the "stuff" happens.

The other item...
They are talking about the correct free throw position for lead. Its not next to the last player on the lane line for the first of two free throws
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
But it's okay if the player is a guard???

I don't like that line at all. Why not just say that all foul calls should be solid?
Nah - I get it. It means that there is more often than not, a big drop off from the starting 4 and 5 to the backup 4 and 5 talent wise and the game can go down hill from there.

But you have a point - make all foul calls solid and you can accomplish this same thing.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3. When reporting fouls - use the correct signal. If he pushed, its a push. If we held, its a hold. etc.
4. Don't Chew Gum
5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams
6. Trail to Lead - look back, don't just run down to trail with your back to the players.
7. If T is beat, C pick up and ref to baseline until Trail can get there.
8. T stay behind the ball in the back court
9. Lead referees 99% of the post on strong side
10. Block / Charge in the post - Fist only, yield to primary (pregame this play)
11. Call in your primary
14. Intentional / Hard Fouls do not need a huddle. It is or its not immediately.
16. No Bad Tosses - U1 blow it back.
17. When you kick a call, and we all do, your next two whistles should be 110% calls. This will get you back in the groove
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
20. A block is a block. A charge is a charge an if there is ANY question what it is, its a CHARGE
21. When reporting fouls, do so from a spot on the floor where no player can pass between you and the table
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the coaches box.
23. Be on floor at 30. Check out the court. Find things that will get you in trouble later so you are not surprised. IOW, dont just stand there.
1. why?
4. Why?
14. I disagree. I would want to conference with my partners and us come to an agreement if it is borderline. Now I can agree with it if it is an absolutely obvious call. I hope that is what you meant.
20. I guess this is just philosophy. did the clinician give a reason of why he says it should be a charge?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Then how do you signal a block?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
12 - when we have a multiple players on the floor fighting for the ball, he wants 2 officials on top of that play - right there - helping players up, preventative officiating etc. Player piles are where the "stuff" happens.

The other item...
They are talking about the correct free throw position for lead. Its not next to the last player on the lane line for the first of two free throws
Thanks for clarifying #12. It was unclear if the noses were those of the two players in the tie-up or a desire for officials to get in there.

You still have not stated what the correct position IS. You have only stated what it is NOT. With the players moving up a lane-space at the HS level this year, there has already been some discussion on this forum of what positioning the Lead should take. I would be interested in hearing your clinicians' take on this. Thanks.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It sounds like the clinician was more annoyed with the common practice of standing by the bottom block during the first of multiple free throws.

Unless something has changed in the mechanics manual, I don't see why there's any debate about where the lead should stand on free throws. The lines aren't moving, are they?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I've heard both of these in pretty much these exact words. I never understood the reason... but still I keep my hands off my hips & don't bounce the ball.
Quote:
IMO this is absolutely the most useful in your list for anyone at any level. And also IMO it is not taught at enough camps by enough clinicians.
Quote:
This is important because every year the dam ncaa technical foul rules change and they are almost as complicated & wordy as the ncaa time out rules.
Quote:
Talking to coaches is very over rated IMO.
Quote:
Disagree. Blow a call? Forget it, move on, call your game.
Quote:
See my comment on #13
Quote:

Camp: Be Ready. There are no warm up games in camp when you are there trying to get hired. If you take the first game to "warm up" you will fall behind.

Camp: Get better game to game. It will be noticed.
errr.... Be at your best game 1... improve each game.... huh?
Quote:

Look for opportunities to rotate.
A favorite thing for clinicians to say when they run out of things to say. Rotate when needed.

btw, great post, thanks!
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
14. I disagree. I would want to conference with my partners and us come to an agreement if it is borderline. Now I can agree with it if it is an absolutely obvious call. I hope that is what you meant.
Are you serious?

Good Lord, I hope t'hell not!

If there's any doubt in your mind i.e. borderline as the calling official, then you don't call it. Ever. If you can't decide all by your little own self whether a foul should be called intentional/flagrant, then you don't belong on the floor at that level. You partners aren't out there to babysit you. If it's your call, then just call the damn thing. What makes you think that the other officials are watching that play in your primary anyway?

The clinician meant exactly what he wanted to say in #14. He wants officials with the nuts to make the tough call, instead of caucusing or taking a poll. Fwiw, I sureasheck agree with the clinician.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you serious?

Good Lord, I hope t'hell not!

If there's any doubt in your mind i.e. borderline as the calling official, then you don't call it. Ever. If you can't decide all by your little own self whether a foul should be called intentional/flagrant, then you don't belong on the floor at that level. You partners aren't out there to babysit you. If it's your call, then just call the damn thing. What makes you think that the other officials are watching that play in your primary anyway?

The clinician meant exactly what he wanted to say in #14. He wants officials with the nuts to make the tough call, instead of caucusing or taking a poll. Fwiw, I sureasheck agree with the clinician.
As much as I hate to admit it I agree with the cranky old b@stard.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:18pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
2. Don't dribble the ball on the court during a dead ball.
These are just about perception. And that perception is probably going to change from observer to observer. Some will think they look terrible. Others will think they're completely unimportant. Personally, I don't like how they look, but I'd have a hard time being too critical about it.

Quote:
Great advice and not too many officials actually do it.

Quote:
This is one that I hear directed at newer guys OVER AND OVER again every year. Good to get in this habit.

Quote:
As my old interpreter used to say, "Let 'em see stripes!!"

Quote:
I guess I'm going to slightly disagree on this. I don't mind getting some information from my partner, especially if the contact is from behind. If the play is coming at me and the contact is from behind, I can see that there's contact, but I might not see everything. I don't want a 3-minute huddle, but a quick "Hey Scrapper, he took a full wind-up" might be appreciated.

Quote:
How the heck do you do this, except by leaning against the table to report?

Quote:
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the .
And you say you just got back from camp?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Was this a HS camp? Sounds like it based on the philosophies listed, but then I see some NCAA mentioned things that make me think otherwise... just curious, seems like some mixed philosophies.

And I disagree with a good amount of the tidbits listed.