The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Changes

Maybe I missed a previous discussion, but has anyone seen this yet?

"The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a proposal Wednesday that calls for officials to assess either an intentional or flagrant foul on a player who swings an elbow and makes more than incidental contact with an opponent above the shoulders in men’s and women’s basketball for the 2010-11 season."

A 6' PG who swings an elbow at 6'9" PF is not likely to make contact shoulders and above, while the same cannot be said for the opposite.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I am sure we will see about 30 video clips about this rule before the season starts.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Good rule, almost similar to NBA (connect above the shoulders and it's Flag 2 + a game off, if I'm not mistaken). Also similar to the NFHS rule, minus the height requirement.

I'm surprised this rule wasn't in there before now.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 06:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Maybe I missed a previous discussion, but has anyone seen this yet?

"The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a proposal Wednesday that calls for officials to assess either an intentional or flagrant foul on a player who swings an elbow and makes more than incidental contact with an opponent above the shoulders in men’s and women’s basketball for the 2010-11 season."

A 6' PG who swings an elbow at 6'9" PF is not likely to make contact shoulders and above, while the same cannot be said for the opposite.
Previous discussion was:

Excessive swinging of elbows

The parameters of what constitutes "more than incidental contact" need to be cleared up, which I'm sure they will be.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Also similar to the NFHS rule, minus the height requirement.
It is?

There's no provision under FED rules that I know of that states that contact on an opponent resulting from excessive swinging of an elbow has to be either intentional or flagrant in nature. It's always been a judgment call, and one of the alternative choices under NFHS rule is a player control foul.

Somebody please correct me if I'm missing something somewhere.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 07:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It is?

There's no provision under FED rules that I know of that states that contact on an opponent resulting from excessive swinging of an elbow has to be either intentional or flagrant in nature. It's always been a judgment call, and one of the alternative choices under NFHS rule is a player control foul.

Somebody please correct me if I'm missing something somewhere.
You are completely correct. All we do is decide what we are going to call at the NF level. The College level wants these plays out of the game completely and has mandated it under the rules. I do not think high school players are as savvy as college players. High school players do many things without thought. College players tend to be much more deliberate and calculating, which is why I feel the rules are different.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
College players tend to be much more deliberate and calculating, which is why I feel the rules are different.

Peace
Without a doubt, and I feel a rise in faking contact is coming as well anytime an elbow comes even close to another player...but that is why they pay us the big bucks i suppose.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

After reading all that information about the different exercises for soccer players, you’re probably wondering how you can combine them into a routine for yourself. Well, if you are, then read on and take a look at some of the examples listed below. But remember, don’t be afraid to make modifications to your regimen. Each player is different! And if you have questions, consult a coach or trainer. Good luck!
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The parameters of what constitutes "more than incidental contact" need to be cleared up, which I'm sure they will be.
While not disputing that more information or guidelines are helpful, the statement speaks for itself: if you would call a foul on this play, it will be an intentional or flagrant foul. If the contact is incidental, there is no foul.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
While not disputing that more information or guidelines are helpful, the statement speaks for itself: if you would call a foul on this play, it will be an intentional or flagrant foul. If the contact is incidental, there is no foul.
From camp, for NCAAW this year, if you were going to call a foul on the play, and the elbow contact is above the shoulders of the opponent, you MUST start with an intentional foul. You can then go to the monitor to determine if it is flagrant. If the elbow is moving faster than normal (i.e. excessively), flagrant should be considered right away. The key to determining whether to call the intentional is whether the elbow is moving at the time of contact. The body does not need to be moving, only the elbow.